Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 417 total)
  • PSA – GoPro alternative (sj4000) less than 40 quid!
  • dhyetiman
    Free Member

Just seen this on a Facebook group…….

From what I can make out the quality of the sj4000 is a really good alternative to the GoPro and some seem to think it is better in low light situations! Looks very similar to. I’ve just ordered as for less than £40 with all those accessories it seems to good to miss. Just hope it’s not a mistake lol

The black and yellow versions are £38.99 and the silver version is quite a lot more expensive for some reason

sj4000 camera here

Can’t wait for it to arrive now 😀

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Just be aware that the sj4000 is so good that others are now making copies that are not so good. Seems cheap.

Techmoan.com has a review and warns about the cheaper fakes

stevied
    Free Member

Ooh, thanks for the heads up. Might be adding to the Christmas list..

Anyone got any real-life feedback on these?

stumpy01

Blimey that looks good!

Not sure I need one, but tempted to give this a go!

nickjb
    Free Member

Just bought one a few weeks ago. Picture quality is great. Little bit of distortion with high speed movement. For the price it’s a great way to have a go and see if you will use one.

As above watch out for fakes. Not sure how you tell, though. Also.it doesn’t really do 60fps

flyingmonkeycorps

As said above, it doesn’t do 60fps, but apart from that, for the money it’s bloody brilliant. The battery indicator lies, it’ll go down to 2 bars almost immediately, but I’ve comfortably got a couple of hours use from mine without it dying.

Couple of clips from mine (all edited in Premiere but no effects or processing).

[video]http://youtu.be/nU-Q7e7frBc[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/3pQ94gboy2s[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/limcMaFXYM8[/video]

willard

Sod it, you can never have too many HD action cams. Just ordered one, so will tell you what it’s like in a week or so.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Does anyone know of a cheap waterproof action cam with GPS?

I missed the sony/argos one :-(, I’ve used the GO-pro for analysing technique on the boat but it’d be usefull to see how fast I was going as well (if only for bragging rights).

aracer
    Free Member

Cheap GPS tracker (if you don’t already have a GPS logging device) and take a picture of a calibrated watch at the start of your video? Can’t be too hard to combine the two.

That is indeed very cheap for a SJ4000, which like others makes me dubious about how genuine it is.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I ordered the WiFi version last week from a authorised resellers shop on eBay this week as too many fakes around, Bought mine for my snorkelling and diving trip to Egypt in a few weeks 🙂 .. the reviews look quite good .

chrishc777
    Free Member

So is that a proper sj4000 or a copy in the link?

DavidB
    Free Member

Best thing about this appears to be removable batteries for £7 so you can take spares, I assume it is compatible with GoPro mounts?

kwack
    Free Member

I suspect that it is a fake SJ4000. If you look on Ebay there are genuine ones which tell you how to tell the difference. Probably use the same components anyway so not sure whether it makes any difference or not

fathomer

Bugger, I’ve just bought the new cheap GoPro as well!

-m-
    Free Member

Yes, the mount on the bottom of the SJ4000 housing is GoPro compatible. The housing itself is (I understand) slightly different, but as I only have an SJ4000 I can’t comment.

I bought mine a few weeks ago from one of the reputed “genuine” sellers (Joovuu). It seemed like a reasonable way to have a play around with the idea of a camera without having to spend loads on a GoPro + mounts. Picture quality seems OK so far although I don’t have anything to compare it to. Unfortunately I can’t upload any videos to YouTube at the moment as access is a bit… tricky… here in China.

will
    Free Member

Could be genuine but hard to tell: http://www.foxoffer.com/blog/2014/07/05/the-difference-between-original-and-fake-sj4000/

Worth a shot i’d say.

aracer
    Free Member

Checking the pics on that foxoffer page earlier, this does seem to look like a genuine one. The trouble is, how do you know they’re using pics of the one they’re selling rather than just generic pics of the real thing? Or that there isn’t some fake which now looks more similar?

willard

Thanks for the guide on how to tell the difference. When/if mine turns up I’ll post back and let people know.

AlexSimon

Another alternative that I keep looking at is the Mobius Action Cam.
    It’s a bit different (case and mounts aren’t as high a priority), but footage always looks really nice imo.

Although tbh, a second hand original GoPro HD Hero is probably as good a bet as any.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cheap GPS tracker (if you don’t already have a GPS logging device) and take a picture of a calibrated watch at the start of your video? Can’t be too hard to combine the two.

I could do that, but it rapidly reaches the point of faffing where IDGAS anymore and don’t bother. It’s mainly because STRAVA is fairly irelavent to sailing as it’s a real race and the route you take is a ballance of speed Vs distance, etc. The speed on the GPS is almost entirely a vanity thing!

dhyetiman
    Free Member

I’ve done a fair it of research into this and I’m confident it’s the real thing.
    Can’t wait for it to turn up now after seeing the videos above!

flyingmonkeycorps

Just remember you have to go to Iceland to get the best out of it 😉

ads678

Cheers for the PSA I’ve just ordered one. Payment is through amazon if that makes any difference to whether it’s genuine or not???

scruff9252

Nice heads up, just ordered.

flyingmonkeycorps – nice wee video and introduction to Jon Hopkins. Suspect he will be today’s soundtrack.

turboferret

Dashware is a nice bit of software for overlaying GPS data onto videos. Set a Garmin going to record and then Dashware combines the GPX file with the video to show whatever data you want from it.

Cheers, Rich

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

ooooooooohhh 8) I think I might buy the dog one for her birthday 😀

flatfish
    Free Member

Might give it a try when I’m back from my holibobs.

aracer
    Free Member

What sort of research? Interested in a genuine one at that price, but not a copy.

flyingmonkeycorps

Scruff – I love Jon Hopkins. Insides is one of my favourite albums at the moment (I’m about 5 years out of date) but it really needs to be listened to through some decent headphones.

kwack
    Free Member

apparently original ones have Socam on them

hot_fiat

flyingmonkeycorps – nice vids. But, at 2:07 on the Iceland vid – did you fart? 😯

flyingmonkeycorps

More than likely!

dhyetiman
    Free Member

A racer – can’t really say it’s in depth research but from the few bits I’ve read on them and from a couple of people who have purchased it ive drawn my own conclusions. Il let you know for sure when it arrives

buck53

apparently original ones have Socam on them

Later model ones have ‘SJCam’ on them but this is an earlier model that predates that change anyway, I suspect it’s clearance of the old stock, hence the lower price.

reedspeed
    Free Member

What editing software do you guys use ?.

flyingmonkeycorps

I use Premiere, and After Effects when I need to do fancy stuff (not on those clips!).

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

from the link

This camera is totally unbelivable for the price

that’s what we’re worried about…

kwack
    Free Member

SJcam thats what I meant

plodtv
    Free Member

what timelapse options do they have

hypnotoad
    Free Member

For timelapse, I think you can set it to take a photo every minute, every 5 minutes, and every 10, but sometimes a firmware update adds extra options.

I have one of these already, I paid around 65 squid and had to wait a month for it to arrive from Hong Kong.

I think I’m going to get another, simply as a spare or to have on a 2nd bike. Once it arrived I’ll see if it is genuine as I have a real one to compare it to. 🙂

EDIT: [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICpGpF9-a4M[/video]

Maybe handy if you want to be sure.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 417 total)

The topic ‘PSA – GoPro alternative (sj4000) less than 40 quid!’ is closed to new replies.