Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • psa for rohloff users – new gear ratios allowed
  • firestarter
    Free Member

as the use of 29ers gets bigger and bigger the allowed gear ratios for the rohloff have been changed to 2.1 that means basically that before the old limit had you a pretty much a standard set up on a 26″ bike approx 44/32/22 11-32 but on a 29er you lost a couple of lower gears now with the new ratio you can have a 29er with the same low 26″ gear

odd that it was released with the standard range and a bit of safety leeway and now its been amended to a standard 29er ratio , knowing the germans its gotta still have a safety margin. i wonder what it could really cope with

anyway before it was 38/16 on 29er now you can go as low as 34/16 and still be ok 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

bin ridin’ fureva 36:16 on mine

I imagine theyve changed the advice based on matching the torque given the larger wheel diameter, but not changed their view of the limits of the hub.

firestarter
    Free Member

you can ride even lower on a 26″ now used to be 2.35 ratio now 2.1

might have to go ring shopping in jan sales 😉

http://www.rohloff.de/en/news/news_rss/news_in_detail/archive/2012/11/december/article/SPEEDHUB_UEbersetzungsfaktor_von_mind_235_auf_ak/index.html

orangeboy
    Free Member

That’s good to know thanks.
    And a slight hi-jack I’ve only eve used my hub on a single speed frame
    Do the tensioners work well on a full sus frame xc 80 mm rear travel ?

firestarter
    Free Member

dunno mate mine is a salsa with alternator dropouts so i dont use a tensioner

orangeboy
    Free Member

Yea it’s in my el-mariachi at the moment and fancied putting it in the spear fish

bencooper
    Free Member

I know quite a few people who have paired them to Mountain Drives – that gives an equivalent of about 20t at the front.

In practice, there’s a practical limit to how much torque you can put through before the back wheel loses traction or the front wheel lifts anyway…

firestarter
    Free Member

Yeah but its nice to know you can be covered in the unlikely event of a problem 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

Aye, definitely 😉

That’s nice to know, although I’m dangerously close to the 100kg weight limit.
    I’d best cut down on the pies, I reckon I’d struggle with 2.5:1. 😕

jes
    Free Member

That’s great to hear, I have been running 36 x 17 (26″ rims) for last 5+ years and presently trialling 34 x 17 on a more xc setup, no issues so far, however I need to shed 5-6 Kg to be weight legal 🙂

@ orangeboy, tensioners work fine on a full suspension setup, generally I am running 160 mm of travel but did have a DH set up with 190 mm of travel and it was still good (this was the longer version of the tensioner, the shorter version locks at the pivot bolt and is a bit of a pain when removing rear wheel)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Odd that they got the advice wrong at the start if it’s as simple as stoner says…but is it?

firestarter
    Free Member

Al they have actually changed their views on the hub limits too as on a 26″ you can now go even lower

You obviously could before but they were giving themselves some safety margin, tho no doubt they will still have a safety margin otherwise its mighty lucky the new limit just happens to fall perfectly for a 29er 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

I doubt it’s anything directly to do with 29ers, probably just that with over 100,000 hubs out there they’ve got more data to work with, so don’t need such a big margin of error.

Besides, they’re used on loads of tandems and the like, so I doubt any solo bike gets close to the safety limit.

firestarter
    Free Member

I know mate just funny how the latest charts now list 29ers 😉 reckon its just incase anyone was but off by the gear limit on big wheels now they are very popular, be interested to know what you could really gear them at as they must still be plenty of safety margin with zee Germans 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Well, most extreme I’ve done was with a Mountain Drive (so about 19t equivalent front cog) on a recumbent tandem trike.

I think the bottom gear was about 7 inches 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

Now that’s low 😉 I was thinking of dropping my front ring to 36 from 38 so happy I could go as low as 34 and still be covered I think 34-16 is about same as standard geared 26″ set up maybe lose top gear but no biggi 😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Mick, slight hijack.. You still got those panniers??? Oh, & Happy Christmas fella.. All the best eh?

firestarter
    Free Member

Aye I do nick mate , got a rack too 😉 all the best to you and yours mate

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘psa for rohloff users – new gear ratios allowed’ is closed to new replies.