Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • PSA (another halfrauds goodie)
  • monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I’ve been on the look out for a new bike for the wife as our bike carrier is limiting the weight for her bike to 13kg (shes got an old saracen BSO).

I was in the local halfords yesterday looking at the discounted Boardman bikes, as we had a budget of £500 but was pushing upwards as we were struggling to find one she liked.

The chap then showed me a 2010 Voodoo Bantu for £235. Wow, the old spec Bantu is miles better than the new ones, No idea of the weight though, so popped next door to Argos and came back with a set of digital sales. It showed 12.2kg (on an 18 inch frame), managed to get it knocked down to £210 because of a small chip.

Now got a very happy wife with a shiny new bike and a new set of purple digital bathroom scales.

Soooooo, bargain voodoos if your store happens to have any left.

Mackem

That’s really weird to be so bothered about the weight of a cheap bike.

nealglover
    Free Member

That’s really weird to be so bothered about the weight of a cheap bike.

Apart from that he explained why right at the start of the post ?

soma_rich
    Free Member

I dont think its weird. But maybe buying a scale was a little obsessive. I would have though you could feel the difference by lifting the two bikes. Good work BTW. Looks like a lot of bike for £235!

kimbers

thats a bargain
    and ime girlfriends often have cheap bikes = heavier and harder for them to lug around = they like riding less

so light starter bikes for ladies ftw!

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I had a look on net before hand and found the current Bantu weight is over 15kg and the older one ‘felt’ around 13-13.5kg, but there was no way what so ever the wife would have let me buy the bike without it being near enough weight wise.

I didnt mind buying it without knowing the exact weight as I was happy to use the money saved to upgrade some parts. We could take the bike there and then aswell so wanted to make a decision.

Scales were wifes idea and the shop really is next door.

They cost £12.99 and the chap discounted £25 from the bike so didnt really cost us.

Just very pleased and wanted to share.

PS it’s the model that has the sliding dropouts, they have dropped them from the lower spec models now, so would make a lovely cheap ss.

thomthumb
    Free Member

and ime girlfriends often have cheap bikes = heavier and harder for them to lug around = they like riding less

keeps em skinny though 😯

h4muf
    Free Member

I have a 09 Bantu for my winter bike.Love it!
    Mucho upgraded though 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

i doubt Argos scales are that accurate 😉

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

LOL @ rocketdog, thats what went through my mind at the time but I kept my mouth shut, because I know whats good for me.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Would it not have been cheaper just to buy a new strongerer bike carrier??

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Tow bar only takes 75kg, the carrier is 25kg.

Leaving 50kg for 4 bikes.

Did think about a bike or 2 on a roof rack, but it would mean buying the bars and racks (and I wasnt allowed to put one in the boot incase it was muddy!).

🙂

100mphplus
    Free Member

Tow bar only takes 75kg

Are you sure there’s not a zero missing from that figure, that means it would break if the average sized man stood on it and as for attaching a trailer or caravan!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

75kg is quite normal …..trailers have weight bearing wheels on em – bike racks do not !

http://www.caravanwise.co.uk/caravan-tips/nose-weight.html

chojin
    Free Member

Which branch of halfords is it? I can’t see anything listed on the site and local branch says there are none left in the country?

taxi25
    Free Member

A few extra kilos on the tow bar would be fine, there’s a huge safety margin. I used to haul a KX500 around on a towbar mounted rack. But what the heck nothing wrong in finding an excuse to buy the wife a new bike. 😀

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Bought from Cheltenham halfords, If you find a helpfull member of staff they’ll check their system for all sorts of old stock at cheap prices in all stores. Some won’t though! 🙁

pdw
    Free Member

That means it would break if the average sized man stood on it and as for attaching a trailer or caravan!!

No… it means that it is safe to drive with that as a static load on the towball. The forces on it whilst driving will be much higher than that, and I suspect that the limit has more to do with its impact on the handling of the car than the towball actually breaking.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yah Understeers pretty crappy

sugdenr
    Free Member

Not that it helps but I go everywhere with 125kg of motorbike on mine, not an issue, have you seen the thickness of the metal on a towbar, waaaaay over specified

chojin
    Free Member

Looks like you had the last one, monkeyfiend 🙁

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘PSA (another halfrauds goodie)’ is closed to new replies.