Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Problem with Rockshox Pike RCT3 Solo Damper knob
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

I’m pretty new to rockshox (at least the ones with the new dampers) having used fox for the last few years. I haven’t taken this one apart yet but I think I may need to as there is definitely a problem with it.

The large high speed compression adjuster knob used to have 3 positions with the firmest being not far off a lock out. Now though it has about 4 or 5 positions and none of them seem to do anything – the fork feels open in all settings. The knob itself doesn’t feel loose or different in any way and clicks between positions nicely.

Is it possible I have turned the dial too far at some point….if so this can’t have taken much effort – I’m hardly a Gorilla when it comes to turning dials.

Otherwise the fork feels as good as normal – its just always fully open which a slight arse-pain.

LoCo
    Free Member

The dial is probably just rotating and not turning the adjuster underneath.

Remove clean and refit.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll have a look.

In my experience though simply cleaning thinks is unlikely to fix a problem such as this. will be ecstatic to be proved wrong though

legend
    Free Member

Loco services suspension for a living, definitely worth trying his suggestions 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

It’s attached to the knurled adjuster with a kind of friction lock so if it’s come loose or dirty, the adjust will just spin, if it was attached you’d only get 3 clicks.
    Unless the location pin inside the damper has sheared or deformed, but you’d have to have put a lot of force on the knob to do that.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I know he does Legend…that’s why I’m about to investigate

ndthornton
    Free Member

Damn, now it’s well and truly borked. Took cap off all nice send clean inside. Tried turning the end of the shaft to see if I could get it to lock out….it just spins…and know I have no rebound damping either!! Balls

LoCo
    Free Member

Somethings definitely broken inside, are they still under warranty?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Unfortunately no. Bought second hand

LoCo
    Free Member

Feel free to send the damper over and I’ll have a look for you.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Wow – was not expecting that!
    Damper came out in 2 pieces

But if I screw them back together then my compression cam reaches end stops when turned – which suggests nothing is in fact borked!!!

The 2 halves must have been hanging together on the last few threads and my twiddling of the adjuster finished the unscrewing process.

Daft that this can happen….but I’m happy

….although I’ll be needing a bleed kit

andyl
    Free Member

….although I’ll be needing a bleed kit

FFS now my Pikes need a dedicated bleed kit?

Why do they keep coming up with proprietary bleed fittings? http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/products/bleed-kits/rockshox/charger-damper/bleed-fitting/

Loco if you come back to this what weight oils do I need for Pikes? I normally do my own Revs with Stendec oils and grease I get locally and what, if any seal upgrades do you suggest so I can be prepared (wipers etc)?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Just ordering my stuff now
    Got that bleed kit from epic bleed

Lower leg oil looks like 0w-30 – seems pretty easy to get hold of.

Normally I would moan about proprietary fittings and oil but compared to what I thought I was going to have to spend… £35 is ready to fly out of my wallet

Im not buying the special butter lube though!

https://www.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/gen_0000000004461_rev_b_2014_-_present_pike.pdf

this is helpfull

RickDraper
    Free Member

Make sure you clean both threads and then put thread lock on before screwing it back together.

LoCo
    Free Member

Damper in bits, not seen one do that before, someone didn’t torque it up enough at the factory!

Andyl, oil in pikes 0w30 for lowers & 3wt for charger damper, I’d use the rockshox seals for them.

Revelations, skf seals 5wt for damper chamber, & we have various lower lube mixes & grease for the other parts of those, as always any queries feel free to drop us a mail/call the workshop for a chat. 😀

twohats
    Free Member

Seen a few do it including mine!

ndthornton
    Free Member

Its hard to torque the 2 halves back up very tight as it doesn’t progressively tighten it just stops dead – so you end up applying more and more force for no movement….and then thinking I’m going to break this so I’ll stop 😕

Iv put some thread locker on it….and will try to remember that there are only 3 positions on the compression adjust….as if you forget and turn it too far you will be unscrewing your damper 😯

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Problem with Rockshox Pike RCT3 Solo Damper knob’ is closed to new replies.