Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Possible to powdercoat a anodised frame (or remove the anodising first?)
  • hora
    Free Member

Is it possible or best to remove anodising first and how? Any suggestions for places that do this?

hora
    Free Member

Anyone?

hora
    Free Member
    mmb
    Free Member

right then, first of all you should be able to spay any surface that has been prepared properly, however if you are planning to have the item powdercoated it's best to remove the anodising first,if this item has been hard anodised as you would expect if it's a frame, you're going to find it difficult to remove without scratching the frame, this could leave a visible mark afterwards, you could take the frame to an anodising/plating firm who can dip the frame into a chemical which removes the anodising and have it re-anodised or powdercoated elsewhere, the chemical process used to strip anodised items can however leave a rough finish which would affect a re-anodised finish so it's advisable to powdercoat or polish the item before re-anodising, hope that helps, best of luck. 😀

Conespanner

The anodise needs to come off as it insulates the frame I think, unless that's just hard anodise which is a different process. Powercoating is applied with a electostatic charge, so anodise will stop it sticking.

swampi
    Free Member

simple bead blasting will take it off

hora
    Free Member

anodising/plating firm – will look one up.

simple bead blasting will take it off

I dont want a bored lad to spend too long on area of the aluminium surface though and thin/affect possible structural strength??

renton
    Free Member

you should be able to get away with pms , should take the ano off without damaging the frame!!

ive just lookd into this for my old anodized enduro frame.

pms= plastic media stripping

hora
    Free Member

Will look up PMS as well – ta Renton.

Spoke to a good anodizing place. My frame is hard-anodized so it would be difficult.

accu
    Free Member

this shouldn`t be a problem….some years ago I had a DH frame with
    red flames,powdered over black (hard) anodizing…
    like this..
    http://www.diva-brakes.com/de/hall_of_bike/teamsau.html

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Possible to powdercoat a anodised frame (or remove the anodising first?)’ is closed to new replies.