• This topic has 617 replies, 85 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Del.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 618 total)
  • Police Kettling Cyclists outside Olympic Opening
  • scuzz
    Free Member

Take a look at the twitter hastag #criticalmass
    (here)
    Mass reports and photos of Police response to a mass cycle protest, anyone know any details?

meehaja
    Free Member

something to do with shutting the greenway, stopping bikes using VIP olympic lanes, generally telling the strongest nation for competitive cycling that they can bugger off and do it somewhere else. IIRC.

donsimon
    Free Member

Sound like a bunch of red socks then.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    garage-dweller

If meehaja is right this is well meaning but damaging to cyclists. Police are going to have enough to contend with tonight without this.

jonjones262
    Free Member

Bunch of dickheads on bikes!

Bunnyhop

bunnyhop over their heads.

druidh
    Free Member

garage-dweller – Member
    well meaning but damaging to cyclists.

= Critical Mass

Free Member

I was on a flyover with loads of other people when the cyclist? or more like new age types turned up followed by police with cameras and then the cyclist raced off shouting they are trying to kettle us on here and then 20 minutes later they where back followed by a hell of a lot of police with a lot more police in vans with blue light on all seemed to be coming to where we where standing at this I thought time to leave.

donsimon
    Free Member

I was on a flyover with loads of other people when the cyclist? or more like new age types turned up followed by police with cameras and then the cyclist raced off shouting they are trying to kettle us on here and then 20 minutes later they where back followed by a hell of a lot of police with a lot more police in vans with blue light on all seemed to be coming to where we where standing at this I thought time to leave.

That’d make sense.

samuri
    Free Member

I’m sorry but kettling still sounds like some bizarre sex act to me.

hilldodger
    Free Member

mmmmmmmm, steaming spouts !!!

scuzz
    Free Member

>well meaning but damaging to cyclists.

= Critical Mass
    Ah. Who are these then? Hippies?

bigjim

plonker cyclists

allthepies
    Free Member

Macca == terrible

Ooops, that bad I posted on the wrong thread 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Critical Mass = asshats

Drac

Pointless protest defused before it started.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Macca == terrible

Ooops, that bad I posted on the wrong thread

Valid point on any thread I reckon.

Still no really verifiable account of what happened, but I suppose every chance CM pushing their luck, daft and pointless really…

kilo

I believe critical mass were planning some sort of demo, they were served some legal notice some time ago detailing when and where thy could and couldn’t demonstrate and some people seem to have tried to ignore it. Naive or d***heads who happen to own bikes? I’d have thought BW, MC and Team Sky have done more to help cyclists reclaim the streets than CM ever will

+1 for macca comments

ohnohesback
    Free Member

RT’s take on it…

http://www.rt.com/news/london-police-olympics-arrests-269/

The Freindly Games eh?

kilo

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnZnnkJxoC8 [/video] 😉

project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19023104

Let us hope that those idiot self righteous bike riding protestors suffer innumerable punctures for bringing us cyclists into such disrespect.

Especially after the massively good exposure for cyclists, on the media that, Brad Cav and sky, along with lots of other proffesionl cyclists have given us in the last month.

dogbert
    Free Member

Let us hope that those idiot self righteous bike riding protestors suffer innumerable punctures for bringing us cyclists into such disrespect.

Especially after the massively good exposure for cyclists, on the media that, Brad Cav and sky, along with lots of other proffesionl cyclists have given us in the last month.

Common sense, I like that

I’m not for the Olympics, all the coverage and money blah blah blah, but even I can see that if something like that it on, would it kill Critical Mass to cancel their hipster parade for one week? it would at least give them a chance to update their meaningless blogs, unshape their girls t shirts and iron their ironic glasses

Edit: Having watched the video on RT of the disabled guy getting strongarmed, the police seem to be a little heavy handed, but what can you take from an edited video? He might have been flinging things at them a moment before.

nealglover
    Free Member

would it kill Critical Mass to cancel their hipster parade for one week? it would at least give them a chance to update their meaningless blogs, unshape their girls t shirts and iron their ironic glasses

Brilliant :mrgreen:

And sooooo accurate.

Hipster Nobbers the lot of them.

project
    Free Member

SKY reclaim the steets with their organised bike rides, and sports events, we didnt need this rent a mob destroying all the good feelings, and buzz about cycling.

El-bent
    Free Member

we didnt need this rent a mob destroying all the good feelings, and buzz about cycling.

Perish the thought that people having the right to protest in a democracy regardless of whether you agree with that protest or not, should get in the way of making Cyclists “look good”.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

aah, the right to peacefull protest.
    true sign of democracy….
    doesn’t matter if they are right or wrong, the fact they are/were allowed to do it is a good thing.
    if not we might as well be in china or north korea.

deluded
    Free Member

Edit can’t be bothered.

MSP

Critical mass are protesters 1st and cyclists 572nd, the movement has lost its roots, which is a shame, because I would love to join in with what it should be rather than what it has become.

donsimon
    Free Member

But they do, don’t they?

nealglover
    Free Member

true sign of democracy….

Balls.

They chose that date and location to cause maximum problems.

And they were quite rightly stopped.

Bunch of muppets in trendy glasses Being arseholes. 🙄

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Err.
    They do.
    Thats the point I was making.

project
    Free Member

on channel4 news in a while, Jon Snow,is president of some cycling group, so should be good.

Also we still have the right to peaceful protest, but does anyone actyually know what they where protesting about, price of skinny jeans, or cost of designer glases gone up above inflation.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Facist state…
    Here we come. 😯

nealglover
    Free Member

Facist state…
    Here we come.

🙄

I think you need to do a bit of research on the “Right to peaceful protest” As you seem to be misunderstanding what it actually is.

I would suggest Yourrights.org.uk as a good place to start.

donsimon
    Free Member

They do.
    Thats the point I was making.

Stick, wrong end of… 😀

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Yep. You have the power too protest if the powers to be let you.
    Pretty much covers it.
    Lots of peacefull demonstrations seem to be stamped on with a great deal of force.

nealglover
    Free Member

And was this one of those occasions ?

Or we’re they told that the location was off limits on that day, for good reason. And they chose to go there anyway.

If people are so willing to act like **** idiots, they shouldn’t be too shocked when they get treated like **** idiots.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Or were they told that the location was off limits on that day, for good reason. And they chose to go there anyway.

^^This^^. AFAIK, the police started by asking them politely not to go to that area at that time. Perfectly decent request. CM took their usually “sticking it to the man, man” antagonistic approach to this.

Asshats, total asshats.

As to the “stamped out by force”, have a look at things like the Countryside Alliance march, the Stop the War coalition march, and more. Massive, peaceful marches, where those taking part weren’t antagonistic asshats with chips on their shoulders. Oh, and quelle surprise, no trouble.

CM are bad for cycling. Their approach, of pretty much trying to find “controversy” at all turns, gives a bad image of cycling at a time when it’s really taking off. We need people to embrace, understand and enjoy cycling, not just think that anyone on a bike is an antagonistic asshat.

El-bent
    Free Member

where those taking part weren’t antagonistic asshats with chips on their shoulders.

Didn’t get them anywhere though did it? 😉

CM are bad for cycling. Their approach, of pretty much trying to find “controversy” at all turns, gives a bad image of cycling at a time when it’s really taking off. We need people to embrace, understand and enjoy cycling, not just think that anyone on a bike is an antagonistic asshat.

🙄

Damn those people who walk. They are making anyone who walks anywhere look bad. Down with this sort of thing.

nick1962
    Free Member

GB cycling team could have done with a Critical Mass protest at the front of the road race today 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 618 total)

The topic ‘Police Kettling Cyclists outside Olympic Opening’ is closed to new replies.