Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Police in cycling on pavement crackdown
  • PJay
    Free Member
    badnewz
    Free Member

I can’t stand people who cycle on pavements, the more they caution or nick the better.

robj20
    Free Member

I thought there were guidlines that stated to use there own judgment. I cycle on the pavement outside work every day as i need to go down the road by work so im not crossing over to cycle around 50 meters to then cross again. I only go at walking pace anyway.

verses
    PJay
    Free Member

The point of the post was that the girl stopped was just 4 and using stabilisers! There’s another post about it in the Chat Forum, which I missed.

badnewz
    Free Member

I only go at walking pace anyway.

Then why don’t you just walk with the bike?

Mister-P
    Free Member

There are signs on one of the busier streets near me in Northampton that say there is a £50 fine for cycling on the pavement. That’s great, but I’ve never seen a police officer or a PCSO walking along that road. So what’s the point?

Personally I don’t like people who cycle on the pavement. But if you choose to do it then do it slowly with consideration for others. The bloke who comes flying down the pavement outside my house with no regard for others is going to hurt someone one day. Unfortunately it probably won’t be him who comes off worst.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The point of the post was that the girl stopped was just 4 and using stabiliser!

Clearly a menace, lock her up.

freehighlander
    Free Member

Perhaps they should put effort in to catching thieving scumbags Doh 🙄

sandwicheater

I’d have just pepper sprayed the little rotter.

finbar
    Free Member

A lot of roads are pretty damn scary for less confident cyclists. If they’d prefer to ride on the pavement, that’s cool with me.

martinhutch

Hanging’s too good for these pre-schoolers.

rOcKeTdOg

I’m not worried, I don’t habitually ride on pavements but the odds on seeing a police officer round here are slim to non anyway

medoramas
    Free Member

Common sense is not really common, is it? 😯

jimjam
    Free Member

Police should have deployed stinger strips. If that didn’t stop her – lethal force. Only way to be sure.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just as well this wasn’t in LA… 😯

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Personally I don’t like people who cycle on the pavement

You actually decide whether you like someone or not by where they cycle?.

sharkattack

I can’t stand people who cycle on pavements, the more they caution or nick the better.

I’ve been pootling around on the pavements this week trying to loosen up a back injury. Would you like to see me arrested?

richmtb

Please forgive me if this isn’t the case after all this almost never happens on this forum. But, I suspect you might not have actually read that link.

ahwiles
    Free Member

badnewz – Member

“I only go at walking pace anyway.”

Then why don’t you just walk with the bike?

i also use a pedestrian area as part of my commute, the alternative is a dual carriageway, so i’ll stick the pavement for now.

why don’t i just walk with the bike?

convenience, i ride with spd’s and stiff shoes, i *can* walk in them, but it’s pretty unpleasant.

i pootle slowly, i give pedestrians a wide berth, i do walk if it’s busy, my conscience is clear.

maxtorque

Shoot ’em all. If we just shot everyone at birth the world would be a much nicer place………..

If a police officer sees you cycling on the pavement, presumably he/she has got to stop you to tell you? Urban Downhill anyone? Come on Copper, try and keep up 😉

arachnidlover
    Free Member

Would they rather the 4 year olds (with their stabilizers) started riding on the road in amongst traffic?

phiiiiil

Our local PCSOs frequently cycle down the path between our road and the village centre with “no cycling” signs at either end, as do many other people and myself.

As far as I am aware the only incident was when he and I both asked “how are you?” at the same time, so didn’t know who should answer first. It was awkward.

Serious issues. Ban it.

mrmo
    Free Member

When police and PCSOs were given the authority to issue Fixed Penalty Notices for pavement cycling in 1999 the Home Office minister Paul Boetang issued this guidance:

“The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required.”

plyphon
    Free Member

I think at the end of the day there are so many bigger issues in the world of UK infrastructure than bikes on pavements.

Even if you don’t like people cycling on pavements, you have to admit this is a minor issue. More people are injured by peanuts.

Macavity
    Free Member

dudeofdoom

TBH a cock on a bikes a cock on a bike regardless of where they ride pavement,road or cyclepath.

project
    Free Member

Our local council seem to be intent on creating cyclepaths on footways eg shared space pavements, lamposts, parked cars and street furniture along with muppets reversing out .

We as cyclists want segregated or properley designed cycle paths fre of walkers and street furniture.

dudeofdoom

id rather loosen the laws on riding on pavements(Clarify the don’t ride like a dick or you get fined so the public get itr)and strangely enuff one way streets.
    (Like Belgium) rather than spend hundred thousand pounds on some harebrained supposedly for cyclist badly implemented tat 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Police in cycling on pavement crackdown’ is closed to new replies.