Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Pogies
  • imnotverygood

Anyone used them? Recommended?

andyha
    Free Member

Used them for commuting and riding in the winter, great, must dig them out for tomorrow

andyha
    Free Member
    whitestone
    Free Member

Yes. They work. If it’s for this country then the Alpkit Bear Paws are OK but they aren’t up to really cold conditions. If you are heading to colder climes then get one from the US based manufacturers. My wife has the Revelate ones which are much better suited to cold temps.

Alternatively you could make your own.

scotroutes

Another recommendation for Hotpog. Even the basic ones will make you wonder why you bothered faffing about trying to find warm gloves.

epicyclo

Best value for money item you can fit to a winter bike. Mine went on last week.

Does not need to be fancy, and you get to wear light gloves.

Esme
    Free Member

Are they easy to use? I’m wondering if they crumple as you try to get your hand inside the second one?

cozz
    Free Member

fitted my hotpogs to fat bike tonight

whitestone
    Free Member

@esme – the material is quite stiff so they maintain shape and posture (ooerr missus!). Some have enough room to hold sweets and chocolate 😉

Esme
    Free Member

Sweets and chocolate? Now you’re talking!

sweepy
    Free Member

Another big hotpog fan here, brilliant.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Cygloves. Dry, faux-fleece-lined mercy from the elements.

Wouldn’t be without them. About 4 winters in and still going strong.

LAT

I have some 45° North Cobra Fists. They are very good. A little expensive, I thought, but your hands stay warm even when the temp is below -20°c. A great buy.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Hotpogs here.
    Seen me riding outside of them in a snow storm they are so bloody warm

scotroutes

Hotpogs in action this evening

[url=https://flic.kr/p/22fjtby]2017-12-08_11-42-37[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

OCB
    Free Member

Do the Hotpogs sit ok on bars that have [45º] backsweep?
    I’m thinking it might put the cuff at a bit of an odd angle?

Ah, and … what about thumbies – is there room for them in there too?

scc999

Thoe of you in the UK using the Hotpogs – are you using the Basics or one of the other models?

Cheers,

Si

scotroutes

I use the Hotpog Pogies with Jones Loop bars. The material/padding is soft enough that it isn’t a problem.

Thumbies? I can’t see why not.

Basic Hotpogs have been fine for me in the Cairngorms.

Classic Pogies

sweepy
    Free Member

I’m just using the basics, and I can’t really think i’d ever need anything warmer in scotland.

There’s plenty of room for thumbies I would think, can’t comment on the sweep thing tho.

martinhutch

Some have enough room to hold sweets and chocolate

That’s the kids’ christmas present to me taken care of. 🙂

scc999

Thanks for the feedback guys – at that price I’d be daft not to try them out!

Si

pyranha

I’ve got a pair of the Cyglove ones, which are fairly good, but the opening to slide them onto the bars is quite large (good) and doesn’t completely close (not so good). On my last couple of snowy rides, the knuckle on each thumb got painfully cold, while everything else was toasty. Think I need to find a way to close the gaps. I’ll probably get a pair of the Hotpogs for my wife if they don’t have the same issue.

scotroutes

The Hotpogs have an elasticated cord to close the gap and a Velcro tab that cinches it down as well as keeping the Pogies from sliding off the bars.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of the Cyglove ones, which are fairly good, but the opening to slide them onto the bars is quite large (good) and doesn’t completely close (not so good)

Now you’ve got me thinking mine have the same problem! TBH have not really noticed, but I typically run hot so for me it’s a plus-side to have that ventilation as I tend to have more issues overheating than under-heating. Just took a look, maybe look at stitching some velcro tape (may intefere with volume required for shifter operation), or wearing summer mitts as extra layer?*

*I often wear mitts anyways as depending on wind-chill/wet I sometimes find myself out of the pogies on long sheltered climbs.

sweepy
    Free Member

One common mistake with pogies (well me) is not taking other gloves cos they are so warm, then having to carry through snowdrifts 😳

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpmWbwD1TD0[/video]

dovebiker

Revelate Williwaws which work great with Jones bars – they are reinforced with closed-cell foam and have a bar end attachment to stop them flopping about. Even when it was blowing a hoolie in 2016, didn’t really need to cinch-up the cuff’s and could get away without gloves. Great place to stash snacks, gloves etc to keep them warm / stop freezing

cozz
    Free Member

couldn’t you fit a seat pack, you might need to to carry essentials !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you sponsored by alpkit

LAT

but the opening to slide them onto the bars is quite large (good) and doesn’t completely close (not so good).

The Cobra Fists have a foam ‘bung’ that fits round the bar and around the cables (with some mods) that blocks the cold from coming in from the bar end.

Love the pics. I only get use my fat bike and pogies for a couple of hours in the woods on a Saturday afternoon.

stevious

If you put them on drop bars can you still ride on the hoods?

trail_rat
    Free Member

For road bars look at the options from bar mitts.

Designed for hood riding

andyha
    Free Member

The hotpogs kept my hands warm yesterday morning through the snow, great buy for the winter

dovebiker

couldn’t you fit a seat pack, you might need to to carry essentials !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 days unsupported in the Arctic – trying to get your leg-over to remount when stood in soft snow is hard enough, never mind negotiating a sticky-up seatpack.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I bought my wife some for Christmas as she suffers from Raynards (sp?).

She unwrapped them and looked at me like I was some sort of gimp mask wearing pedophile as I tried to explain what to do with them. She even spat her Christmas tea out such was her confusion/mirth/bewilderment

trail_rat
    Free Member

That’s nothing I’m still waiting for the video footage of zippykona giving his wife the fan heater…

Will go well with the i-ron he got her before 😉

robcolliver
    Free Member

Rode in minus 20 for n hour today with the 45N Cobrafists and just a thin pair of gloves underneath. They work. They cost. They let me go riding.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Fernie Rob?

MSP

I have a set of hotpogs and have just bought a set of alpkit bearclaws. The bearclaws are really disappointing, the velcro access is just an unnecessary feature that means the pile lining is incomplete, in fact for the money they are complete crap. I am surprised a company with the reputation of alpkit sell such an ill thought out expensive product.

whitestone
    Free Member

@MSP – I did mention in my first post that the Alpkit version wasn’t particularly good. They were £60 when I got them, they are now £80 which is only a few pounds cheaper than the Revelate Williwaws which are definitely up to the job.

I used the Bearclaws in Rovaniemi – OK down to about -6C but struggled after that. As you say the “escape” slot means that the pile doesn’t surround your hand. It’s not particularly good pile either, not in the class of the lining of the Williwaws. I’ll get a set of Williwaws or Cobrafists for the next trip north.

ratherbeintobago

Are these complete overkill for UK winter riding? I like the idea of warm hands…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Pogies’ is closed to new replies.