Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Play in rocker links – Any way to fix?
  • james
    Free Member

After the rear suspension started knocking on smaller/faster bumps on a ride and finding the rear end had noticable play at the lower shock mount I've found that the (magnesium alloy) rocker links have play/ovalised where the lower shock mount bearings sit. I swapped the bearings for new ones (originally thinking they were the cause) and the play/ovalising is still the same

Is there any way to fill the ovalised gap in without risking permanently fixing the bearings into the rocker links?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

loctite bearing fit might do the job.

Hallsy
    Free Member

Best case would be to have the rockers machined to suit larger bearings, or machined & sleeved to suit the std bearings – won't be cheap unless you can do it yourself, or know someone with a machine shop.

Failing that you could use Loctite bearing fit, but you'd struggle to get them out again without using heat.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Removing material from a highly stressed member like a rocker linkage would be, perhaps, a bad idea?

emac65
    Free Member

PTFE tape,if you can get it in ?
    Been using this fix on "Hula hoop" shock bushes for the past 18 mths on 2 FS bikes after I got fed up with buying them every few weeks/months.It last about the same time as a bush too…..

Hallsy
    Free Member

Scienceofficer – you would only need to remove enough to get the bore round again, or at least to the next sized bearing. Not ideal if you had to machine a lot away, but I'd say 1mm on diameter wouldn't be detrimental, don't quote me though.

If you were worried about weakening the rocker by removing material you could loctite a sleeve in place and use a smaller bearing, but that would maybe mean shorter bearing life.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Play in rocker links – Any way to fix?’ is closed to new replies.