Home Forums Bike Forum Platform / spd combined pedals

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Platform / spd combined pedals
  • opusone
    Free Member

Extremely common question I’d imagine but most of the threads I could find were out of date. The pedals on my commuter / do-it-all bike are knackered and I need some new ones. Having recently switched to platforms / flats on my mtb I was hoping to get some that had a similar surface on one side and SPD on the other.

I used to have a pair of shimano M324 (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m324-combination-pedals/) but didn’t really like the “flat” side of them cos I thought it was a bit too spiky. I’ve seen these – http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-a530-spd-single-sided-touring-pedals/ – which look more like what I’m after. Anyone have any experience of these or any others that they’d recommend?

twisty
    Free Member

I’ve used the A530, on my do-it-all, they are decent. The SPD and bearings are rather similar to an M540, the flat is certainly not particularly spiky – good for commuting in any kind of shoe. I found intuitive to use, SPD is normally up so easy to clip in and easy to use toe to flip the flat side up.

slparsons
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of pairs of 324’s and far prefer the spiky steel frame. I had a pair of XT SPD/Platforms with a cast alloy platform, like those you are considering and found them to be very slippery when wet, so much so I thought they were dangerous and got rid of them.

It will depend on what shoes you wear. I was inevitably wearing Merrel approach type shoes, rather than proper shoes.

antigee
    Free Member

with twisty on this – use spd side 90% of time and as says falls right way up but like to nip to shops/gym in trainers – can be a bit slippy in wet though

still got 324’s on another bike and if it was used more regular they would get swopped out

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Platform / spd combined pedals’ is closed to new replies.