Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Phones on aeroplanes?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I know they say not to, but will it REALLY kill everyone if I put my iPhone on aeroplane mode to listen to some music?

Quick! I'm boarding in 20 mins! 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

eh – its why they have flight mode – just make sure its in non transmitting mode and all wil be well….

i used my XDA to watch movies when i flew to nz !

Jamie
    Free Member

I know they say not to, but will it REALLY kill everyone if I put my iPhone on aeroplane mode to listen to some music?

The clue is the term 'aeroplane mode'.

*shakes head*

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

it's bollocks, if your phone could bring a plane down then all that terrorists need to do is strap a load of them around their waists 😯

Talkemada
    Free Member

Have a lovely time Peter!

*Waves from car-park roof at plane, confident Peter will see*

Where are you going?

Want a special request in the Niteclub?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah I know Jamie, but don't they even say not to use phones AT ALL FOR EVER NEVER EVER?!?! 😉

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Its all just a piss take to make you buy their shitty head phones! Why do you think they have a different jack socket? Is it some super duper aero fixing? Is it hell. A mobile phone will no more bring down a plane than blow up a filling station.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

T – India. Delhi to be precise. Blagged an invite to the Virgin upper class lounge too. Free a la carte food. Free beer. Free sweets. Free coffee. Free magazines. Hot and cold running masseurs. The lot!

I have window seat. Will pull silly face.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I thought as much myself. I have nice relaxing music to listen to and games to play. 🙂

Talkemada
    Free Member

Bloody bastard! India??? Lucky sod!

Peter; just a weeny request; can you get us a little elephant please? You know, the sort of tourist tat little hand-carved type thing. Don't have to be owt fancy. I'll sort you out. I'm building a collection…

peteimpreza

Some airlines don't let you have phones on even in airplane mode.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Exactly Pete. I might chance it….. How will they know? iPod Touch, innit?! 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

An elephant. Ok if I remember. My brains a crap one though, but I'll try!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Just a tiny one. Thank you Peter!

X

(Tell your wife; she will remember. Tell her now before you forget)

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

further more, mobile phones in hospitals is bollocks too, you turn your phone off but all the doctors keep there pagers on…. wtf?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

How's your missus Talcum? 😉

Talkemada
    Free Member

God knows. Strumpet. 🙁

Maybe she's gone clubbing…

-m-
    Free Member

you turn your phone off but all the doctors keep there pagers on

Not saying it's right or wrong, but there are some fairly fundamental differences…

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

-m-

Not saying it's right or wrong, but there are some fairly fundamental differences…

differences maybe, fundamental? not so sure.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Boarding in a minute. TTFN guys see ya in a couple of weeks. It's 40c in Dehli right now 🙂

jd-boy
    Free Member

They are not so hot on the use of phones in hospitails now, Phones in petrol station is another one thats a myth, you are more likely to blow up through static touching the car, Phone on planes, lot of very complicated electronics on there, plus I seem to remember that several of the bombs in the past were set of by cell phones, we are lucky the airlines have not jumped on this one yet and make us all hand them in as we board and get them back the other end.

jam-bo

I've left my phone on in my bag by mistake on a 2 hour flight before, we didn't crash.

i doubt i'm the first and I doubt i'll be the last….

mikertroid
    Free Member

Phones (particularly the iPhone) tend to produce unwanted interference on the intercom system on my aircraft. It is quite annoying and distracting.

Even in flight mode, the reason why they're prohibited in Take-off and Landing stages of flight is that they hinder your ability to hear the PA should an emergency announcement be necessary. Once established in the cruise, ipods etc are perfectly acceptable.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Umm…a couple of seriously geeky points:

One phone on it's own is unlikely to affect a plane, however if everyone on board had their phone on the ammount of data being transmitted between all thouse phones and any BTS is rather likely to affect the electrical systems on board an aircraft (like when you put your phone too close to your hi-fi and you hear that daaa da da da da dadadadadada noise).

Secondly, hospital pager systems work on markedly different frequencies to mobile phones and only transmit/recieve data when required…umlike a mobile phone which regularly 'chats' to the network without your knowing about it.

So who knows? Maybe there really is 'some' truth in the warnings. Actually…annecdotally, my sister is a nurse, when she worked on the Cardio ward she'd know when someone had their phone on as certain pieces of equipment behaved in an unintended and random manner.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Working in a hospital and having a work mobile I know that we do turn them off in certain areas but not most as there are no problems with them.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

I'd suggest that the areas of the hospital which are likely to be affected by mobile phone comms should be encased in a faraday cage (or similar) thus negating the requirement for mobile phones to be switched off. ;o) Come to think of it…that's not a bad idea. Should I patent it?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

can't remember the reasons why, but there is a VERY small risk of interference with equipment, hence they're not supposed to be used.

my dad's inaugural lecture of his professorship was "why you can't use a mobile on the plane" (although this was about 15 years ago). in fact, just reading through the list of papers he's written (or co-authored) shows that the last one he was involved in is called "Characterisation and Modelling of Electromagnetic Interactions in Aircraft"

anyway, there is a risk, although its very small, and planes are getting increasingly better at not being interfered with…
    i don't think he'd lose any sleep on a plane, if he knew a phone was left on…

CountZero

Airplane mode just shuts down the cellular communication part of the phone leaving all other functions working, so you can read books, listen to music, watch movies, etc, independently of the crap offerings from the airline. Having really good canalphones means a lot of the irritating background noise is removed, too. Even if you don't have music on. I use my Ultimate Ears 'phones as hearing protection at work.

Are you still alive?

Putting it into flight mode will turn off all the radios so that it can't interfere with anything (and in flight there won't generally be anything for the radios to connect to anyway).

They ask you not to even use it like that during take off and landing so that if they have to say e.g. "IS THERE ANYONE ON BOARD WHO KNOWS HOW TO FLY A PLANE?" they don't have to look out for people who have plugged themselves into their noise-isolating phones…

That's my theory anyway.

Will

-m-
    Free Member

I'd suggest that the areas of the hospital which are likely to be affected by mobile phone comms should be encased in a faraday cage (or similar) thus negating the requirement for mobile phones to be switched off. ;o) Come to think of it…that's not a bad idea. Should I patent it?

You can, but you'd be wasting your time/money. What do you think happens when somebody walks into the cage with their mobile phone switched on?

Harry_the_Spider

Can you imagine being trapped on long flight full of people talking on their phones? 😯

They are banned to prevent passengers murdering each other.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Can you imagine being trapped on long flight full of people talking on their phones?

Ryanair?

spooky_b329

Phones in petrol station is another one thats a myth

Is it? Imagine how many people would be spilling fuel down their legs, putting the wrong fuel in, and getting run over as they walk to the kiosk without looking if they were allowed to use the phone.

I wouldn't like to take my chances if someone spilled some petrol, and then dropped their phone into the vaporising fuel as they tried to stop it!

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Phones in petrol station is another one thats a myth

Is it? Imagine how many people would be spilling fuel down their legs, putting the wrong fuel in, and getting run over as they walk to the kiosk without looking if they were allowed to use the phone.
    I wouldn't like to take my chances if someone spilled some petrol, and then dropped their phone into the vaporising fuel as they tried to stop it!

yes it is mythbusters and others have tried to use a phone to cause a fire an even with perfect conditons the phones don't spark. It would seem that this myth comes from the us where they can latch on the pump they then get back in the car for something and when they get out they don't touch the cars body until they grab the fuel line at which point a small static discharge happens ignighting the vapours.

peteimpreza

"Hairychested – Member
    Can you imagine being trapped on long flight full of people talking on their phones?

Ryanair?"

The last flight I was on with these bar stewards was mobile phone enabled. I did not see anyone use their phones to make a call however. A few texts, yes, but mainly used their phones to do other things such as play games or listen to music.

The plane on the outward journey did not have the mobile facility and you were not meant to use your phones at all even in airplane mode!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I don't think the problem is specifically phone/avionics interference.

Paraphrased from wikipedia:

Channel reuse works because from a mobile phone on the ground, there will only be one "closest" tower that can possibly use a channel. The channel used by the phone can therefore be reused by other phones on other towers.

If a mobile phone is operated from an aircraft in flight above a city, this assumption is no longer valid, because the towers of many different cells may be about equidistant from the phone. Multiple towers might assume that the phone is under their control. The phone could be assigned a free channel by one tower, but could be heard on other towers using the same channel, and the channel might already be in use on those towers. This could cause interference with existing calls.

Flaperon

Not done any controlled tests, but eight people making calls on their iPhones on an A320 has absolutely no effect on aircraft systems.

Talkemada
    Free Member

iPhone battery wil be dead shortly after take off anyway, so no worries! 😀

AmyYoung
    Free Member

Buzzlightyear has the answer. It's what we were taught in our degree.

tang
    Free Member

hope you have air con where you are staying! its murder in may. i was there one year and it hit 49!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Phones on aeroplanes?’ is closed to new replies.