Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • PF30 help if you would
  • garage-dweller

So the inevitable seizure of my Camber’s PF30 BB has finally struck. My fault for leaving it unridden since December and sticking to the hardtail I suspect.

This is my first BB30 swap so looking to the experience of you lot here for a steer on what to do as there’s been a lot of moaning about these things the last few years.

It’s got the “custom” SRAM crank on it that the bike shipped with.

I have in the spares box available a 24mm axled XT crank for external BB or a Race Face Atlas (also ext bb) so I have a choice what to do next.

I see three options…

1) straight PF30 swap for something SLX/XT quality (what)
    2) a posher/more clever PF30 option like the Hope with its threaded tube in the middle (is the Hope one good?)
    3) a PF30 to external adapter (again what’s good?)

I want reliable and I want to be able to not ride it for 2 months without it seizing. I don’t mind a bit of spend but not sure I want to get to Chris King level.

My instinct is pressing /drifting bb’s in and out can’t be great for the frame but happy to be persuaded otherwise.

patagonian
    Free Member

I fitted the Hope about two years ago and it works really well (so far). I don’t like the original SRAM fitting but to be fair when I removed mine the water that ran out of the BB shell probably didn’t help.

Tracey

What ever you decide on make sure the hole in the frame at the bottom of the down tube below the bottom bracket isn’t blocked or covered with the frame tape.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

My stumpy Evo frame came with some plastic adapters to convert to standard BB. So I’ve just been using shimano cups with enduro bearings and race face evolve cranks.

Seems to work fine.

It didn’t like being unused for about a year during a house move, so that’s when I put the enduro bearings in. They’ve sat for a couple of months at a time with no problems.

I really must ride my mtb more!

garage-dweller

Thanks all.

Tracey I’ll look at that particularly when I pull it apart.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I have two Hope pf30 bottom brackets spare. One 24mm, the other 30mm. Both about 30 rides old. Both lasted longer than the frames they were fitted to. No reasonable offer rejected.

davros

I’ve just fitted a wheels manufacturing pf30 which has cups which thread together. Only problem being i had to buy an unusual sized bb wrench to fit it which cost an extra 17quid. I’d recommend their standard press fit version or the threaded one as the bearings are easily replaceable with the right tool.

dai21t
    Free Member

I fitted a Chris King to my stumpy evo, has been on for about 12months now with no issues, and is used in all weather. I also bought the grease tool which I have used once to purge fresh grease through the bearings. Was expensive but far better than changing bottom bracket every couple of months.

garage-dweller

Quick follow up question on the hope ones.

Are the bearings themselves replaceable? I assume they are.

In which case the hope option might be the winner as then only swapping bearings not bb’s, just leaving me with the question of whether to go 1* on the XT crank with reducer BB and accept I may have to grunt a few climbs until I can upgrade to 1*11 or an expander.

Also I assume a 2* specific crank gives a poor chainline on a 1* compared to middle position on an old triple crank?

jfb01
    Free Member

I am using the KNCN PF30 bb with no problems so far.Cost £40,screw together in the BB using standard Shimano external bb tool (x2).
    http://clee-cycles.co.uk/P20004/product

garage-dweller

Just popped back to say thank you to you all.

A Hope press fit to 24mm is heading my way along with the special tools and some bits for a decent 1*10 set up. My natural affinity for shiney Hope stuff and serviceability won the day.

Onzadog thanks for the offer on the second hand ones by the way but as I needed/wanted the tools I went the whole hog and ordered new.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with that. 30mm one has gone, but if anyone else fancies the 24mm, let me know.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘PF30 help if you would’ is closed to new replies.