Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • PF30 and shimano chainset
  • breninbeener

Hi, new frame takes PF30 BB. I was hoping to use my new SLX shimano chainset. I like running 1×10 with an expander, and i have those parts awaiting the build. So should i use adapters for the Shimano chainset or get a pf30 chainset?

What PF30 bb would people recommend?

orangeboy
    Free Member

A praxis works bb will let use your shimano chainset in a pf30 frame.

awh
    Free Member

I have a Praxis, I found it has to be done up really tight to stop it creaking and then some more. It’s supposed to be one of the better ones too!

breninbeener

Creaking would make my bike rides a nuisance. What would be an slx or xt spec 30mm chainset? Will they fit my shimano wide narrow rings i already have?

awh
    Free Member

My Praxis is cured of the creak now, you need to use all the leverage from some proper BB spanners.

breninbeener

Ok, so you would recommend the Praxis? And follow the instructions?

breninbeener

Any recommendations as to the best pf30 bottom bracket?

sillyoldman

Wheels Mfg ones are nice – simple to fit, and quiet.

awh
    Free Member

I think the instructions said install one cup and only tighten on the second but doing just this didn’t tighten it enough to stop the creak. It’s ok but from the reviews I was expecting easy creak free installation. I still have to give it squirt of GT85 occasionally. The bearings weren’t particular good, mine didn’t last as long as Shimano BBs on other bikes, but I was able to pop the seals off and clean and re-grease the bearings to get a bit more life. I was just a bit underwhelmed as it seemed to be the best PF30 in several reviews.

eshershore
    Free Member

@awh

Praxxis work really well if your frame bb shell is within normal tolerances, if slightly oversized even the expanding collet cannot apply enough torque through the nylon pf30 sleeve. I had this experience with my stumpjumper 29er. I switched grease out for carbon fibre grip paste which I applied to the frame shell, then the nylon sleeve before inserting the praxxis bb. Problem solved..

Agree the bearings are nothing special, mine went rough in 3 months with mild xc riding and no jetwashing. I packed the replacement bearing with marine grease

awh
    Free Member

Cheers esher shore. That does sound like what happens to mine.

breninbeener

Ok…i have ordered a Praxis mtb converter. I ordered the 73mm as it said that was for mtb. So, i have just measured my bb shell and its 68 mm on a Specialized Stumpjumper 2015…

Have i bought the wrong one?

eshershore
    Free Member

Pf30 for MTB is 73mm shell, 68mm is for road.

Pf30 BB shell is not measured as with threaded shells

breninbeener

@esher…..thanks very much. I was just having a little panic! 🙂

johnnystorm

Fsa used to do an alloy insert that you then just screwed normal bbs into. I’d do that as you’ll easily get spares rather that trying to find a special BB in the future. Unless of course at some point in the future you’ll have a real hankering for a PF30 BB and chainset…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Wheels one I tried was garbage. The d/s cup repeatedly tried to walk out of the frame. Their response was yeah, they sometimes do that, maybe you should glue it in place. Brilliant.

Praxis in theory was better but it still creaked annoyingly. Bearing life was on a par with Raceface BB’s (ie, crap).

Sold the bike then so no further experience. Do Hope make one that would work? My current bike has a BB92 press fit with a Hope one in it & it’s been silent for a year. Bearings are still super smooth too 🙂

sillyoldman

Current Wheels Mfg BBs thread together so can’t walk out. If your BB is so out of spec that they walk out then you’ll need a thread together one of some sort.

They used to only do threaded ones for 30mm-24mm reducer BBs, but now do a 30mm axle version too.

Murray

I’ve got one of these in my Camber – works fine

eshershore
    Free Member

I first had the wheels one in the stumpy with the out of tolerance bb shell and it was dire; constant creaking and cups rotating.

The praxxis was gold once I swapped grease for fibre grip as previously mentioned. I did ring the distributor about the praxxis and was told to watch the installation video on you tube as they said my installation technique must be incorrect, they were insistent their bb could not creak or move with grease if fitted properly? Which was not true as my use of fibre grip then proved.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘PF30 and shimano chainset’ is closed to new replies.