• This topic has 21 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Perineal discomfort and saddles
  • WillC9999
    Free Member

Been getting numb nuts and general discomfort during cycling and suspect my saddle is the cause. Have tried a RIDO saddle but non-plussed: it is very uncomfortable unless tilted significantly down at the front, whereby I perpetual slide forwards exacerbating the problem.
    So, what next? Anyone tried a Serfas saddle?
    https://www.serfas.com/products/view/175/referer:products%7Cindex%7Csaddles%7Crx-saddles

crikey
    Free Member

Get your overall position checked out by someone who knows what they are doing. You should be sitting on your ischial tuberosities; the bony bits in your bum, not squishing your perineum.

I suspect from seeing various bike setup mistakes over the years, that you have your saddle too high and too far forwards.

scaredypants

lots of numbnob saddles out there – specialized, Selle (esp the SMP range but very expensive)

agree with crikey about positioning being a factor (but don’t see how a forward saddle can increase pressure on yer bits ?) – seems to me that poor flexibility on a road bike can be an issue. If it’s on a mtb, I suppose it’s more to saddle shape/width unless you’ve got a very racy position

WillC9999
    Free Member

Have mucked about with saddle a lot, back, forwards, up, down etc but doesn’t seem to help. Going to try my misses saddle which is wider (Specialized I think) to see if that helps – I do have quite a wide arse.

WillC9999
    Free Member

And whilst we are at it, what happened to spring saddles? Did they die a death for some real reason, or just fashion? And are they any better?

tn25
    Free Member

I had the same problem and tried a number of saddles. The Specialized Phenom fixed it for me. However, you need to measure the distance between your sit bones to pick the right size.

corroded
    Free Member

I found a Specialized Toupe was a big improvement over my Fizik. But there’s also some merit in changing your riding style: get out of the saddle more frequently, stand up for rough bits etc.

_tom_
    Free Member

Find a specialized dealer with the arse-ometer and get the saddle they recommend. Worked for me, I ended up with an Avatar Gel 142mm.

tang
    Free Member

def worth the arse o meter. 143 spesh phenom here with good bib shorts and no problems.

hainman
    Free Member

i changed to a spesh avatar and my gonnads arent so numb anymore

mav12
    Free Member

i have the same problem not numb but uncomfortable charge spoon was almost unusable swapped to a spesh romin solved the problem but is very hard think any one with the hole up the middle of the saddle would help
    using a brookes on my cross bike which is comfy would be ideal if it had the split up the middle but still breaking it in
    not convinced about this arse measuring thing how does every othe saddle manufacturer manage i measured my sit bones and a 145 was supposed to be right but the brookes is 170 wide and just as if not more comfy

winston_dog
    Free Member

Go for the classic – Brooks.

I have a standard B17 and a skinnier B17 imperial. Looks the dogs and really comfortable.

Not cheap mind.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Best advice I got on this was to stand up on the pedals more. Takes time but you get used to it.

Also important that you have the correct fit. Professional bike fit via a local bike shop is recommended.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

crikey – Member

Get your overall position checked out by someone who knows what they are doing. You should be sitting on your ischial tuberosities; the bony bits in your bum, not squishing your perineum.

This. If you are sitting on the right bits thenits not an issue.

br
    Free Member

Also look at a carbon post, they add comfort.

mboy
    Free Member

Again, get on the Spesh Arse-o-meter… 143mm Spesh Phenom/Romin’s here literally saved my ass!

james
    Free Member

“i measured my sit bones and a 145 was supposed to be right but the brookes is 170 wide”

I dont think the 130/143/155 spesh saddle size is the sit bone measurement though is it? just the width of the saddle. Id have thought the narrow part of the saddle is more to do with your sit bone measurement?
    Though I dont know

WillC9999
    Free Member

This is all good advice, cheers gents. I will go forth and get my gusset measured.

bobfleming

Another vote for arse-o-meter and Spesh Phenom here!
    Cured it for me after years of trying loads of saddles.
    You can demo Spesh saddles at some stores too.
    Don’t even think about it now.
    Good luck.

ourmaninthenorth

I have a s/h Selle Italia Filante (I think) on my CX bike. Hard, narrow. Most comfortable thing ever. Nominally same shape SLR on my road bike is a test of purgatory after a while.

If only I could find another Filante..!

relliott6879
    Free Member

About 3 years ago, I ended a near enough 2 year abstinence from biking and began commuting by bike. I very quickly found that my trusty Flite Titanium that I used to swear by had metamorphasised into an instrument of torture, determined to cut me in half from my soft, saddle-shy butt upwards. I also had a complete numbness of the gentleman’s area. After a bit of internet research, I invested in a Specialized Alias 143 which was a night and day improvement, no more numb nuts or walking like John Wayne when I got to work.

IanW
    Free Member

Dont sit down so much then any saddle will do. 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Perineal discomfort and saddles’ is closed to new replies.