Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • People of Worcestershire
  • ctznsmith
    Free Member

Where are these hills in the distance?

I'm stood by Oddingley Substation so about a mile south/south-east of Droitwich looking West/North-west I guess. Malverns are away to my left.

Clee & Brown Clee hill to hazard a guess

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Really? I was hoping they were closer than that!! 😉

Well, if you can't be bothered to work it out by looking on a map, neither can I.
    W/NW of Droitwich ? That would be the Wrekin near Telford, wouldn't it ?

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

The hills look closer than the previous suggestions, i would say that is the hills around Abberley, in the Teme Valley near Great Witley.

See here – http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&q=great%20witley&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

ctznsmith
    Free Member

@MilitantGraham seeing as I don't have an OS map of the area yet and trying to work it out using google maps is pretty hard I thought I'd ask for the locals opinion/advice.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Boz, no Clock Tower as far as I can see. The Clock Tower at Abberley is rather prominent between the two hills.

Only kidding, I missed out the smiley.
    Yes, it does look closer than the Wrekin.
    Clent would be about the right distance and direction, but the wrong shape.
    Any chance you can go back with a compass and get a bearing ?

Now that I've looked at the map, Clee sounds the most likely.
    Clent is too far North, it looks too big for Kinver edge and I know the Droitwich masts are clearly visible from Clee.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i'd say clee hills and possibly long mynd far right?

rOcKeTdOg

IT's the NW Alps (well part of it)

stratobiker
    Free Member

Although you cannot see the clock tower, I agree with Boz.

The shapes look right.

SB

Oddingley to Great Witley is about 16km, with Clee Hill about the same again the other side, slightly to the right and the Wrekin, way in the distance, far right.
    Hard to judge distance from a photo. Does that sound about right ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Clee hill has naff all biking.

stratobiker
    Free Member

@molgrips

While I'd agree that there isn't much biking on Titterstone Clee. I think there's a couple of nice rides over Brown Clee.

SB

ctznsmith
    Free Member

not even just a road that goes 'up' for longer than a couple of minutes? It's a pic off of my phone so not the best quality

mboy
    Free Member

not even just a road that goes 'up' for longer than a couple of minutes?

Turn left…

You'll find some BIG up's more than a couple of minutes long 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

The road over Titterstone is good. And the road down into Tenbury Wells is a brilliant road downhill. Yes, I'm sure you are sceptial that such things exist, but really it is 🙂

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

rocketdog's right….. 😉

stratobiker
    Free Member

@ctznsmith

A road ride?

If were talking Abberleys.

Yes sir!!!
    Some beautiful road rides over that way.

There's also a big Vets three day road race that takes place on May bank holiday.

1-3rd May Tour of the Abberleys 3 day, Worcestershire

It's an LVRC event. Well worth checking out if you're a 40+ roadie.

molgrips – Member
    Clee hill has naff all biking.

Well, it hasn't got a trail centre, if that's what you mean, but it's got all this…

rOcKeTdOg

molegrips FAIL

ctznsmith
    Free Member

As my moutain bike build currently has no wheels (or stem, or brakes or etc…) a road ride is all I can do currently.

M-boy pipe down, I know that!

stratobiker I have a good 10 years until I'd qualify for the LVRC, I've also never 'raced' a bike in my life…which is probably a good thing as I'm pretty slow!

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, it hasn't got a trail centre, if that's what you mean

Mate, I was dragging my bike through the fields and woods of South Shropshire when you were in nappies, so bloody well bugger off!

I just never made it to Brown Clee – no point when Wales is as far away and loads better. I was referring to Titterstone Clee.

In any case a few scratty bits of post industrial bridleway doesn't impress me, I live in Cardiff…

stratobiker
    Free Member

Hey molgrips,
    This "The road over Titterstone is good." that you speak of. You're not trying to send him up Angel Bank are you? 😆

@MilitantGraham – I recognise every one of those great pictures apart from the last one. In the early days of MTB there was a gang of us that used to ride from Kidderminster through the lanes, up over Brown Clee and back. Epic, happy days. Thanks for the reminder.

@ctznsmith – I wasn't for one second suggesting anything about your age young man. But now you've mentioned it. 10 years to go, and no Road Race experience? Sounds like just enough time to set yourself up for a win in the TOABs.

SB

molgrips
    Free Member

Just cos you posted pics of yourself on a bit of bridleway, doesn't mean it was a good ride by my standards! By the looks of the map and when I've been there, it'd be ok for a local ride but not worth travelling to. Clee hill was 15 miles from my house, Mortimer Forest was 10 🙂 Btw I thought that was Brown Clee because I didn't think anyone would want to drag their bikes to that trig point on Titterstone….

And yes I do mean Angel Bank – always enjoyed that climb. Nice and epic for the area.

rOcKeTdOg

In any case a few scratty bits of post industrial bridleway doesn't impress me, I live in Cardiff…

and you are freely admitting it? 😕

molgrips
    Free Member

It's worth travelling to if you like criss crossing a small area loads of times… And there are plenty more views in the world!

Molgrips, as the original question was "Where are these hills ?" it kind of implies the follow up question "Are they any good to ride on ?".
    You said they're not, so I posted some pictures to show what's there so ctznsmith, and anyone else, can make up their own mind.
    It's no big deal whether it's your kind of riding or not. I like post industrial bridleways, you don't.

I liked the nappy comment though, even if it's unlikely to be true. 🙂
    I'm so old I can remember when I first heard the Dead Sea was ill.

molgrips
    Free Member

I'd like to see a tracklog actually – pics don't say much.

And thanks for not getting annoyed.. as people usually do here 🙂

stratobiker
    Free Member

And yes I do mean Angel Bank – always enjoyed that climb.

Ha ha!!! 😆
    You crazy nasty man!!! I'd rather whip myself with wire coathangers until I bled than ride up Angel Bank. It's torture! Do you know Bedlam bank that runs parallel to it?

molgrips
    Free Member

Only ever did Angel bank. I must like climbing 🙂

Bedlam Bank? Do you mean the Caynham road? Never enjoyed that at all.

And thanks for not getting annoyed

That's OK, it's only a hill after all.
    However, if you'd questioned my choice of 29" wheels, clipless pedals, bar ends or lycra, that would be a different matter. 😈

molgrips
    Free Member

Seriously tho – where does your ride go?

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Tricky. I would say it is Clee judging byt he presence of snow (Abberley doesn't have any). You wouldn't be able to make out the clock tower even if it were Abberley imo.

Drove from Bromsgrove to Kidderminster yesterday.
    We could see those hills and, judging by the distance and the change of direction as we travelled along the road, I would say they are almost definitely Great Witley and Abberley.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘People of Worcestershire’ is closed to new replies.