Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 145 total)
  • Parkrun
  • cchris2lou

Anyone on here doing the Parkrun runs ?

had my first go this morning , and it is quite nice , a bit like racing but it is free to enter and friendly atmosphere .
    5km in 22.42 .

Jamie
    Free Member

Sounds interesting. Is it this thing?

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

IanMunro
    Free Member

That’s the thing Jamie,
    One opened close to me a few weeks back. Impressively slick IT system.
    Been a couple of times, and might make it my regular Saturday morning start.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Yes there’s one near me ,(Bramhall, Stockport) and i too went this morning for the first time! 28 mins for me though! It’s been set up near me for a good few years but only just got round to dragging my arse out of bed for 0800 on a Saturday! Enjoyed it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Bum. Nearest one to me is 30 miles away.

dobo
    Free Member

nice one. i’m enjoying my running more than cycling at the moment and went for an 8k off road run today which was great. theres 3 of these parkruns fairly close to me, andover, basingstoke and eastleigh so i’ll defo have to get one of these in soon.
    Thinking of doing 1 every month to see if im getting any faster. not in a running group or anything yet. trying to build up to do a fairly tough off road runs like G3 series or brutal 10 🙂 a bit slow at the moment though

bruneep

Mrs b does them in Aberdeen

<edit> 30:01 today at a cold windy Aberdeen beach (no its not in a park)

RichJJ
    Free Member

Yep, done 25 runs now. Fantastic event, especially as its free. Fully timed event and is ‘all things to all men’ Guys at the front finishing in 16-17 minutes through to those at the back running in 45 minutes. All results on the website and sent by email and text after the run ends. My wife does it now and she would never entertain the idea of running previously, my two kids 9 & 12 both do it and we all want something different from it. I cant praise it enough and I am not easily pleased!! Chasing my PB has now become an obsession and its good cross training too. There are new runs starting all the time, Bexley started today, Newbury starts next Saturday.

IainGillam
    Free Member

I think they are fantastic, the Richmond one is really well organised (not a huge fan of the course though as I always get rubbish times compared to other races, probably more to do with Uni causing fitness to plummet though!) Wish I had the time to do more of them, as I find it really helps the training and is much more fun the intervals or sprints.

Iain

cchris2lou

did the Bexley one today .

might do Bromley next week as it is similar distance . best runner today was in 19min .

Jamie
    Free Member

All you parkrunners should have a look at the STW running thing, on Endomondo, that StayHigh setup:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/endomondo-february-running-challenge

cchris2lou

Endomondo is crap on my phone .

Jamie
    Free Member

Endomondo is crap on my phone .

You can upload any .gpx file or import from your Garmin if you have one.

Anyway, just a thought.

dobo
    Free Member

didnt know you could import into endomondo, so just gave it a go and added a couple of runs in feb 🙂

cchris2lou

looking at getting a garmin , so a good tip indeed .

Jamie
    Free Member

looking at getting a garmin , so a good tip indeed .

Yeah I didn’t know either till I had a nosey around the site. Handy, as I think most trackers on iPhones/Android phones are inaccurate and pretty flakey.

cchris2lou

yes , looking for a 305 .

good for the bike and the running .

quite new to running , but any links to good online 5 or 10 km training progammes ?

RichJJ
    Free Member

but any links to good online 5 or 10 km training progammes ?

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/find-a-training-plan/4521.html

ahwiles
    Free Member

22mins? – nice one.

they’re great – because they give a focus to your running, a reason to go fast.

they’re terrible – because they’re early on saturday morning, and a fast 5k is enough to leave you broken for the rest of the weekend.

thoroughly recommended.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Done a couple and they are great, Bike ride today but I’ll be back next week

cchris2lou

it is good for me they are early as eldest son has football training at 10 am , and when weather gets better , I should be able to ride to it .

happy with my time , but did not feel that tired afterwards , so must be able to run faster .

thank you for the link Rich .

julians
    Free Member

Done a few of the Bramhall park runs, best was 26 minutes, so not exactly stellar, but I’m happy with it.

Tend to do it more in the summer than the winter, but they’re a good, well run event

mema
    Free Member

I have done the Glasgow Parkrun, it’s great as there are so many different people running. My best time so far is 24.12 and my best placing was 5th lady.

rubbersidedown
    Free Member

I’ve done Finsbury and Richmond in the past. Now there’s a Gunnersbury parkrun it’s a perfect couple of k’s warm-up jog to get down there.
    Love the concept, love the organisation, love seeing my progression in times and knowing that if I have a poor run, there’s another one next week to make amends.
    If it wasn’t for parkrun I’d never push myself so hard on a training run.

cchris2lou

21.43 this morning , hard work as it was -6 .

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Done 2 before at around 24mins, this morning I went with our Border Terrier what with him sniffing, looking for squirrels, weeing and stopping until I gave him a snack we did it in under 28mins.

But the good thing about Parkrun is that it’s for all, the sprinters the plodders and everyone in between. If you were always out to beat your PB you’ll soon get bored with it.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Results up on their website from this morning,

Today with Archie = 27:53
    PB = 23:10

71st out of 107, in the past I’ve been in the top 50, but who care’s if I’m slower? I can blaim the dog

finbar
    Free Member

Did 17m28s just before Christmas. I’ve been getting slower ever since 😕

cchris2lou

17.28 is seriously quick .

finbar
    Free Member

S’all relative isn’t it? From where i’m standing the 16.XXm guys are heroes, and i’m sure they feel the same about the 15.XX minute guys that sometimes show up.

I’d love to get my hands on all the parkrun data. It would be an absolute statistical goldmine, i bet you could do some really interesting research.

cchris2lou

just looking at a few events not many people run sub 18 .

finbar
    Free Member

I think we’re spoiled at the Sheffield Hallam one, it seems to attract a relatively fast crowd.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Used to see people do the Platt Fields one in Manchester, looked like fun.

Might go and do the Bradford one this weekend, 5k is a tough distance – quite quick, but enough to test a bit of endurance too.

finbar
    Free Member

Yeah, racing a 5km really hurts in a way that a half marathon or even a 10km doesn’t.

bigdaddy

Yep, I’m a regular at the Banstead Woods event – done 35 now and love them. Great crowd, always enthusiastic regardless of your time. Started volunteering last week too – got to stand in the carpark in -9 before doing my run, my pb is 19.37, but usually around the 20min mark for me…

toby1

Cambridge one is organised by some friends – they are great people so I’m always keen to support it on their behalf. It’s an really excellent way to get people out and running and all for free.

Personally I still run slowly though, I justify it by just being very heavy too!

cchris2lou

sub 20 is my target for the summer .

JohnClimber
    Free Member

cchris2lou – Member
    sub 20 is my target for the summer

Snap

IanMunro
    Free Member

Snap again.
    Not committing to which summer though 😀

RichJJ
    Free Member

Just ran sub 21 for the first time ever on Saturday gone, well chuffed. Seemed to take its toll on my climbing legs on our Sunday morning ride though. 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘Parkrun’ is closed to new replies.