Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Parking at Afan – anyone ever got a penalty?
  • GaryLake
    Free Member

In my excitement of riding Afan for the first time in a while and being used to CwmCarn being free – I forgot to buy a parking ticket. After riding two trails I bought one before chilling in cafe…

Just got me wondering, I didn’t get a penalty or anything while I was out and wondered if anyone has forgotten and been caught?

Not that I’m planning on not paying from now on as I appreciate it keep the place running of course.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I did exactly the same as you!

BoardinBob

Similar to Hora’s thread, was the ticket issued by a council or by a private parking company?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member
    Similar to Hora’s thread, was the ticket issued by a council or by a private parking company?

Not so relevant here, as the parking fees at Glyncorrwg fund the trails, so make sure you pay up, people!

brakes
    Free Member

there’s normally a chap in a hut at the entrance isn’t there?
    I generally don’t pay for the bike hose 😳

BoardinBob

Entirely relevant here.

Funding the trails has nothing to do with private parking companies committing fraud and extortion.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Eh? Where did fraud and extortion come in to forgetting to pay for a service?

jam-bo

you have to pay for parking at afan? when did that happen?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I dont think the OP actually got a ticket…..

BoardinBob

Noted that no ticket was issued but for discussion’s sake

Where did fraud and extortion come in to forgetting to pay for a service?

Private Parking Companies (PPC) commit fraud and extortion as they demand money from people

Claiming the registered keeper (RK) is responsible for paying their charges, despite any contract being with the driver at the time of the incident. The RK is under no obligation to identify the driver at the time. The PPC will send several letters demanding payment from the RK and stating it’s their liability. This is fraud. They will send several letters masquerading as lawyers letters. They will refer the matter to debt collection agencies, despite there being no debt. More often than not they have no actual contract with the landowner. They are committing fraud under the pretence that they do have a contract. They will attempt to issue tickets on public roads, where they have no authority to do so.

Their charges in no way reflect the losses suffered by the land owner.

etc, etc etc.

PPCs rely on threats, intimidation, lies and harrassment to carry out their scam.

(Sorry, pet subject of mine at the moment. Currently sitting with over £3k of “fines” from a PPC that has no right to issue them)

bigyinn
    Free Member

Bit of an expert by all account then bob! £3k of fines! What for?

redx

Generally at Afan, there’s a guy on the gate who asks for car praking charges. If he’s not there, there’s a sign asking you pay in the cafe. I don’t know of anyone having had a ticket, but the lads sometimes wander round and if you haven’t got a ticket will ask you to pay.

At Glyncorrwg, there’s a ticket machine just at the entrance to the centre, and lots of signs saying they’ll clamp you if you haven’t paid. Again, I’ve never seen anyone clamped, but there is sometimes some-one wandering around looking for tickets.

At Afan, the money goes to the Forestry Commission, so hopefully some of it ends up in the trail maintenance budget. At Glyncorrwg, the money goes to the fishing co-operative that owns the building and the fishing lakes, but I don’t know if any of it goes to into trail maintenance/building….

I’ve always thought what they used to do at Coed-y-Brenin was the best thing – if you didn’t have a ticket, they left a leaflet on your windscreen explaing what the money gets used for and how it’s a donation towards maintaining the trails, which would probably leave you more inclined to put money in the machine next time…..

BoardinBob
    GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah I never actually got a ticket, was just surprised that I wasn’t clamped after a full day of riding.

It was Glyncorrwyg for the record.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I don’t mind paying, I don’t even mind if it doesn’t go into the trails as long as it stays in the area – I understand the area used to be terrible and if it regenerates the area then great!

BoardinBob

Unless there were signs laying out the terms of the contract you enter into when parking there and stating the consequences for breaching that contract, then they couldn’t clamp you.

If it’s anything like Glentress, they just put a little note under your windscreen politely asking you to buy a ticket which is a perfectly acceptable solution.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I missed the machine in my eagerness and excitement to get going. I noticed it on the way out of the cafe afterwards and paid up.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Parking at Afan – anyone ever got a penalty?’ is closed to new replies.