Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Panasonic Lumix G2 – Best of both Worlds?
  • bravohotel9er
    Free Member

So, I'm in the market for a new camera and want something with stacks of features, but simply cannot be bothered with carting a DSLR around.
    Additionally, I don't want to be one of those people who have been ruining gigs for the past 5 years by running around with ridiculous Canon DSLR/ultramegalens combos taking shots on burst mode!

These new compact system efforts are getting unanimous praise, but I've never seen one in the flesh.

Does anyone here use a Lumix G2 (or near variant)? I'm quite taken by the somewhat tarty looking metallic red one!

http://tinyurl.com/379skvc

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I don't want to be one of those people who have been ruining gigs for the past 5 years by running around with ridiculous Canon DSLR/ultramegalens combos taking shots on burst mode!

am I not right in thinking that most gigs are so loud you wouldn't hear sporadic gunfire, never mind a clicking camera ?

nickjb
    Free Member

I would say if you don't want to cart round a dslr you probably wont cart round a g2 either as they aren't that much smaller. There of lots of high-end, feature rich compacts that might be a better option

grumm
    Free Member

I've got a g1 and it's very good, but not miles smaller than a small slr. Which is why normally I use my gf1 🙂

titusrider
    Free Member

i would echo the above, i have a panasonic bridge camera (all be it smaller than that) and i can never be assed taking it out. I would really suggest you go for either compact (flat fronted) or DSLR. my experiance of the middle ground is it really is the worst of both

yoshimi

GF1 for the win! G1 is just as bulky – GF1 would do everything you need, its just missing a viewfinder

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Interesting advice so far.

I'm just checking out the GF1.

Hadn't realised how much smaller it was, it looks just right.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

its just missing a viewfinder

ie similar to a footballer missing a leg…

DrJ

Well, I have the G1 and am really happy with it. It is a LOT smaller and lighter than my Nikon D300 and lens, and I have taken it on hikes in the Alps with no worries. The low-light performance is not DSLR standard, and the lens range is not too wide, but it is a good bit of kit IMO.

chiefgrooveguru

My bridge camera died last week, which was sad. It seems no-one makes a good SLR-like bridge camera anymore, they're all that bit smaller and focused on huge zoom at the expense of low light performance and response speed. It looks like my only option is to spend twice as much on a beginner SLR and a superzoom lens, otherwise I'll end up with a camera that's slower and grainier than my dead Fuji S9500. Nikon D5000 and Sigma 18-250 look the best bet for me.

simon_g

That looks just as bulky and inconvenient as a DSLR.

I've been using a Canon G9 for the last few years after selling my (underused) D50. The fact the lens retracts into the body means it'll fit into a coat pocket or camelbak nicely so is way more likely to be carried with me.

grumm
    Free Member

ie similar to a footballer missing a leg…

You do talk some bollox don't you. I've taken plenty of decent pictures 'missing a leg'.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I've taken plenty of decent pictures 'missing a leg'.

I never said otherwise, but it is quite a severe handicap 🙁

uluru
    Free Member

I think it tends to be a problem for the older people since they can't see the screen without their reading glasses 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

I never said otherwise, but it is quite a severe handicap

I don't find it to be – and I own a camera with a viewfinder and have used SLRs quite a bit.

k-sugden
    Free Member

Shameless plug I have a Minolta A2 Here http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/minota-a2 It makes great A4 prints can send examples on request

Regards Keith

CountZero

I think a point that needs making regarding DSLR's and cameras like G2's (if that's the compact with large sensor and removable lens) if you like gig going, as the OP seems to be. Take a DSLR to pretty much any gig and it WILL be taken off you at the door. I've seen it happen at a Stars Gig in London a week or so back, and I've had security blokes at several gigs a few years back get heavy because I was using a Nikon Coolpix 5700 bridge camera, because it looked like a 'pro' camera. I doubt very much if you'd have issues with a Pen, the Sony or the Lumix, especially with a Pancake lens, because they are just compacts. I'd buy one like a shot if I had the money, because they're so much easier to get into places that a DSLR would be refused entry. That alone makes them highly attractive, along with having a decent size sensor.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I really like my G1 and it gets used way more than my Nikon D300

dosniner
    Free Member

A year ago I carried around a nikon D2x plus afew lenses.Now have a panasonic G2. You have to shoot knowing it's limitations,however I love it's lack of weight and superb optical quality. Although the camera is not as small as others, it's the micro four third lenses that make the big difference in size.

cozz
    Free Member

im looking to replace a fuji s9000 with somwthing better but don't fancy carrying a dslr around (Been there done that with 35mm)

looking at a sony NEX-5 at the moment, very tempting

MrNutt
    Free Member

Another gf1 fan here, great piece of kit, 20mm pancake is a fantastic lens, still not bought the old lens adapter but it's on my "must get one" list!

grumm
    Free Member

All the reviews suggest the NEX5 has good IQ but is massively hampered by the fact there are no external controls to change aperture, shutter speed etc – you have to do it all through faffy on screen menus.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think it tends to be a problem for the older people since they can't see the screen without their reading glasses

ha ha, I'm shortsighted so I can focus down to 6" thanks, I just don't care to peer at a tiny screen 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

but it is quite a severe handicap

Not everyone finds it so.

grumm
    Free Member

I just don't care to peer at a tiny screen

The screen on a GF1 is hardly 'tiny' – bigger than the viewfinder on a crop frame DSLR anyway. 😉

This is from the man who spent ages going on about how rubbish the GF1 was, then actually got to play with one and decided you wanted one – now you are dismissing it again. 🙄

grantway
    Free Member

Canon G11 is all the camera you want
    Be as creative as you like and plenty
    of scene and auto modes for the non adventurous.
    Bought it on a e-bay shop Digi-good £ 347.00p
    plus £ 10.00p next day delivery

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I agree with nickjb, what you are looking at is not much diff. it's certainly not a compact, more bridge or superzoom.

look at canon powershot s90 or Panasonic dmc-lx3 if you want near DSLR quality in a proper compact (ie small pocket camera).

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Right, I think I've settled on a Lumix GF1, but which lens to get?

The options are 20mm pancake or 14-45mm.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

bigger than the viewfinder on a crop frame DSLR anyway.

I just tested this. I had to hold a 3" screen 2" away from my eyes to get the same field of view as my crop frame DSLR… and not even I can focus that close!

This is from the man who spent ages going on about how rubbish the GF1 was, then actually got to play with one and decided you wanted one – now you are dismissing it again.

I want one because it's a cool toy but I'll probably hate it as it's so limited. One cannot be ambivalent ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The options are 20mm pancake or 14-45mm

might you want to zoom ?

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

The options are 20mm pancake or 14-45mm

might you want to zoom

Point taken.

Zoom function trumps portability.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Zoom function trumps portability.

I've been thinking about this. I spent the first 25 years of my photography mostly using a 50mm prime (roughly equivalent to the 20mm) and never noticed any problem, but having got used to a zoom I'd hate the limitation, never mind the arguments for the "discipline" it imposes…

joemarshall
    Free Member

I've got an olympus e-p1 (similar to gf1), with the olympus zoom lens which is much smaller than the panasonic zoom, and even then I'm planning to buy the panasonic pancake lens next time I find myself with 300 quid to spare. Makes it so much more pocketable, and is also a very good lens for low light use compared to any of the zooms.

yoshimi

Forget the 14-45mm, too bulky based on what your requirements are – get the 20mm pancake then walk backwards or forwards. Really is great in low light, don't think I've ever used the flash with this lens, plus you can get a very shallow depth of field, I know SfB loves this 8)

If you want a decent usable zoom, save (a long time) for the 14-140mm.

If your standard kit is going to be the 14-45mm then you may as well just get a proper DSLR.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I've got a G1 with the 20mm lens. It's really quite little and I enjoy using it. It's definitely smaller than a dslr but more importantly for me it feels a lot lighter. I've managed to get some nice photos from it, and I think it was good value. I wish someone made a waterproof case for it though.

DrJ

The Pana G1 body weighs 360g, comapared with a small DSLR Nikon D5000 body which weighs 590g. With the Pana lenses being much smaller, the actual total difference will be even more.

Advantage of the MFT format over a compact G11 etc is the better low light capabilitgy and the depth of field control.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm planning to buy the panasonic pancake lens next time I find myself with 300 quid to spare.

that is a lot of money 🙁

Torminalis
    Free Member

Love my GF1.

I have started a Flickr (here) account, mainly for my mums amusement, so you can see some sample shot here as taken by a rank amateur whose camera is much more capable than him. One of the best toys I have ever bought.

molgrips
    Free Member

Check out the Olympus E420 – very small DSLR. Body weighs 380g.

grantway
    Free Member

I would not buy any thing just yet has the Camera manufacturers
    are just releasing new models end of this month, and most cameras
    your looking at will be updated or discontinued, so a bargain
    could be had!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Panasonic Lumix G2 – Best of both Worlds?’ is closed to new replies.