Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Oval chainring, talk to me.
  • slugrider
    Free Member

Alright so I understand the theory behind oval chainring and I reall y like the idea of it.

I’ve pre-ordered an xt 1×11 groupset but I can’t say I’m too pleased about only being able to use their rings. What I’m thinking is, keep my old cranks, add and absolute black oval ring and use the xt 11 speed kit for the rest?

This will be my first go at a 1x set up so I’d like to know if anyone’s used the oval rings? Are they advisable for a first timer? Any advice/thoughts on the subject at all?

Cheers,

-slugrider

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Absolute Black will have 11sp XT compatible rings available within 4 weeks supposedly. That’s the setup I’ll be running, so obviously I’d recommend it!

Plenty other discussion here on the subject of ovals, have a search

slugrider
    Free Member

Within 4 weeks if today or the m8000 release?

Northwind

I’ve posted the same thing a couple of times so forgive me if you’ve already seen it, but I’ve got a 34t absolute black on one of my bikes, can’t tell any difference. But I’m happy with the idea that there might be a difference, and i just can’t tell. It’s a perfectly good chainring anyway so no loss either way!

chipps

I’ve been running Rotor oval rings and (as you’ll see next issue) I’m an instant, and sustained fan of the wobbly ring. There will no doubt be XT-spacing oval rings all over the place soon, so buy away!

birdage

Been running a 36T for a few months and I’ve gone wobbly. Didn’t expect to notice much difference but it feels easier up hills or at least pedaling feels more consistent over hills and flats.
    Liked it so much I’ve just ordered the Chain Reaction Black one for my Jones which are cheaper and less machined.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Been thinking about investing in one of these for a while, I run 1×10 and it seems to suit that kind of set up.

Tempted.

dufusdip
    Free Member

I’d seen that there were companies setting up to do narrow wide rings in the new XT offset BCD but I’ve not seen anyone being in your face about doing an oval ring.

I’m sure it will come in time, but I’ve got a set of XTR 980 cranks that I ran into the problem that I couldnt convert from a double to 1 x 10 oval because of the unusual BCD size of 88mm and none of the suppliers did ovals.

Absolute black are only talking about a round ring for XT at the moment.

OneUp Components’ narrow/wide for Shimano’s newest cranks

thegreatape
    Free Member

I put an oval 32 on in place of a round 30 two rides ago. I noticed difference and it’s all positive from my point of view. Ignore Northwind, he’s obviously some super smooth pedalling roadie type 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

I really rate the AB 32T I’m running. I do a fair bit of ‘out of the saddle’ climbing and definitely noticed the benefit. Seems to work really well when under extra stress as it seems to smooth out the pedal strokes. Also find it a bit easier on my knees to.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’d seen that there were companies setting up to do narrow wide rings in the new XT offset BCD but I’ve not seen anyone being in your face about doing an oval ring.

Absolute Black have confirmed on Facebook, and via email to me, that an oval 96BCD ring is not far away.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is it the squint 96 that new XT has though?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Yes

thegreatape
    Free Member

Job’s a good un then 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother OP, it doesn’t actually make you any faster IMO/E.

But then I wouldn’t bother buying new cranks cos they don’t either!

boblo
    Free Member

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose

~1987

DanW
    Free Member

Oval rings didn’t revolutionize my world but they didn’t do any harm either. Because I am an utter buffoon I even managed to fit the them 180 degrees the wrong way to start off with and was convinced I was stronger/ faster/ whatever. Only when the chainline seemed wrong did I notice my mistake and see the power of a good placebo 😳 It felt weird swapping them to the correct orientation for a few days then everything felt normal again. After a day of using either type of ring (round or oval) I can’t tell the difference

Rubber_Buccaneer

I even managed to fit the them 180 degrees the wrong way

Surely 180 degrees would be fine?

DanW
    Free Member

Depends which 180 degree rotation is applied 😆 180 degrees wrong as in flipping the chainring puts it 90 degrees out

dufusdip
    Free Member

Good that AB have confirmed oval!

Biopace in the 80s made a difference and I liked the change it made then, and I’ve noticed a difference on the NW MTB now.

njee20
    Free Member

I fitted a 32t oval to replace a 32t round (AB was cheaper than the stock SRAM one, so why not), I do have a pretty smooth pedal stroke, and find it feels odd on the road, almost like my chainring is ovalised… Stop noticing after a while though. I’ve noticed zero difference off road. Have found the back wheel spinning more on little rises, but that’s probably because it’s super dry and I’m running Thunder Burts than because of MOAR POWAAA.

I wouldn’t replace a perfectly good round ring though.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Similar to Njee for me. Doesn’t feel drastically different to me, but no negative so why not. In both cases I’ve needed a new chainring anyway so no additional outlay.
    Main thing for me is the supposed benefit to stress on the knees, mine are pretty screwed as it is so if it helps them long term then it was worth it. I will say I’ve had less knee pain since using them, but at the same time switched to 170 cranks and on a new bike, so too many variables to pinpoint which one has reduced discomfort.

DanW
    Free Member

Main thing for me is the supposed benefit to stress on the knees

I don’t believe this at all and I haven’t seen any evidence or convincing argument. Going back to when I was a moron and fitted the ring the Biopace orientation (i.e. “wrong” and knee destroying) I felt like my knee problems had disappeared and I could climb anything day after day…. it was just a placebo and the timing just coincided with getting a bit fitter. I wouldn’t buy an oval ring expecting miracles 😀

As you say though, the 170 cranks are likely to be the main factor in feeling a bit happier now

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I thought Biopace were shaped in the opposite sense to the newer generation of oval rings, so fitting them 90 degrees off was wrong then but would be considered right now?! I had BP2 rings and binned them after a couple of rides, hated them.

DanW
    Free Member

Yes, Biopace was supposed “wrong” and I inadvertently fitted my AB oval ring this way. Felt it changed my life until (after a few weeks!) I realised the chainline was all wrong and something must be up. Fitted it the correct way, legs felt sh1t, then one day later everything was the same again. Nothing more than placebo 😳 😀 Nothing different to note wrt power or climb times on oval, incorrectly fitted oval or round rings either

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

quick hijack.

new bike, fully sram’d up. want to swap for my XTR. however rather than piss about with the BB or spindle adapters etc i was thinking i might as well keep the crankset but with a new N/W ring on there… then i got to thinking about going oval! but this new sram crankset has 94mm BCD. the only available oval ring i can find is the absolute black ‘Sram 94BCD’

so question is, this ring has sram in its name – will it work ok with shimano cassette/chain/mech or will it explode!?

cynic-al
    Free Member

mixing brands is usually fine.

Matt24k
    Free Member

I’m using an AB Oval 34t and I’m convinced to the tune of about 28 quid that it is easier to pedal. I’m not sure I’d buy into the whole thing if it was much more expensive than that.
    The feel is very subjective but I have not dropped a chain since I fitted it and for me that’s a tangible benefit. As for the intangible I am pulling a slightly higher gear uphill with less fatigue but that could be down to drier conditions on my local loop.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

so question is, this ring has sram in its name – will it work ok with shimano cassette/chain/mech or will it explode!?

It will work, no problems.

njee20
    Free Member

Doug +1

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

thanks

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Oval chainring, talk to me.’ is closed to new replies.