Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Open gussets on steel frame (Soul)
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

Just looking at the open strengthening gussets on the new Soul,are they likely to be a problem with corrosion?

They look like the perfect place for the orange cancer to get a foothold – does anyone do anything about them? A smear of silicon perhaps?

iain1775
    Free Member

RUSTY GUSSET
    That has to be the best name for a band ever!

smear silicone on your gusset if you so wish but don’t be posting any pictures please!

Speshpaul

If only there was some kind of oil in a pressurised can……………

stuey
    Free Member

lol

kelvin

Well, stays are open as well, check the little drain holes. Also, water often runs into the seattube. Don’t see why gussets would be a worry. Steel frames just keep going… …unless you leave them out doors at night all year around.

kelvin

Oh, on the seattube point, if you’re not a saddle height changer, take your seatpost out to dry occasionally; stuck seatpost about the only thing to think/worry about corrosion wise on a steel frame really.

Northwind

Are they not open at their lowest point? Can’t remember for sure.

I guess it depends how long you want it to last. My oldest bike has open gussets and has a fair bit of corrosion, but then it was a commuter with shonky paint for 15 years, and a mtb for 5 years before that, then after all that it sat in the garage as a garden hose rack. Souls are better finished and not likely to be so abused. Steel frames do corrode but it’s such a slow process that it’s never likely to be a consideration.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Steel frames just keep going… …unless you leave them out doors at night all year around.

I know of a friends Tange Prestige Stumpjumper which got tim worm in its chainstays. Waxoiling inside the frame might be worthwhile when its brand new.

kelvin

…until the waxoil ends up on your disc rotors…

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Thanks for the pointers, might just smear a bit of silicone round the opening.
    It’s only a tiny gap, but the paint hasn’t penetrated beyond it, and it looks like the perfect size to hold water. Probably being over cautious, but rusty gussets aren’t very attractive!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

My cotic has some sort of black coating on it underneath the paint. Which is a good job cos the paint job is pretty weak, but theres no rust where its chipped off.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Have to make sure that the frame is bone dry before going near the gusset with silicone, otherwise it’ll trap moisture in.

I used to spray the frame tubes on my steel bikes about once ayear with GT85 or WD40, and put a smear of grease in the BB shell. Didn’t bother with the last bike, nor this one, decided I’m more likely to die before the frame rots through with rust – especially a Pipedream Sirius 853 which is a tad, erm, beefy shall we say.

boxelder

I’ve been riding an Orange clockwork, which has been scratched to the bare metal and neglected for 15 yrs now. No major rust problems.
    GT85 it once in a while.

toys19
    Free Member

FACTOID – Most high strength steels actually have quite low corrosion rates compared to mild steel..

PJay
    Free Member

The gussets on my old Inbred did rust a bit. I did ask about painting the ends over but it was suggested that it might actually seal water inside. I squirt of GT85 seems to do the trick. Apparently the gussets need to be open to spread the stress but I do think that some companies braze the ends, which I assume is ok.

float
    Free Member

ive got this on the blue pig. theres an open part of the gusset at the top of it. ive just covered it with grease, time will tell if it works. no reason it shouldnt though.

kelvin

…try spraying some Lynx, Sure or RightGuard under your gussets.

> not really <

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Open gussets on steel frame (Soul)’ is closed to new replies.