Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Online retailer: should I be pissed off?
  • stevious

So a few weeks ago I ordered a couple of road bikes and a few components, which came to over two grand. Here's the rigmarole so far:

– Bikes took a week longer than the webiste suggested, and nobody thought to drop me an email to let me know this.

– Bikes arrived, but without the components I ordered. Called to ask what was going on and it turns out someone forgot to put them in the box.

– Components arrived today, but instead of two sets of mudguards, there was only one, and they sent me the wrong model of cycle computer.

Now, both of these are honest mistakes, but when I called earlier to correct the order I was simply told to send the computer back with no attempt to placate me.

Am I being a bit of a knob thinking that they should at least offer me some kind of token gesture to apologise for the fact that I have to make three separate trips to the post office because they don't read their orders properly?

Just feeling a bit disappointed by the whole thing.

Jamie
    Free Member

Name & Shame.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Lack of communication from the start. This alone annoys me. It doesn't take much to send a quick email or make a quick call. I wonder sometimes how businesses survive when they can't even be bothered to talk to their customers.

Edric64
    Free Member

You are not being a knob you spent a lot of money and should get decent service and communication

ctznsmith
    Free Member

They didn't provide a decent service so yes be annoyed but conversely if they are a small retailer then it may have been an honest mistake and they may not have the staff/systems in place to keep you as informed as perhaps you would like.

I'm not sure where the concept of being compensated for inconvenience comes from though, if you bought something from a supermarket that was faulty or off and took it back would you ask them to pay for your petrol/travel or give you something extra when you took it back? Sometimes companies do compensate you to try to keep your custom but that is at they're discretion and they obviously make a call as to whether it is cost effective/affordable…it seems people almost expect it these days.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Am I being a bit of a knob thinking that they should at least offer me some kind of token gesture to apologise for the fact that I have to make three separate trips to the post office because they don't read their orders properly?

If they are not offering it, then ask for it.

Simples!

dickydutch

Name and shame. And then email them the link to this thread.

Edric64
    Free Member

You are allowed to claim petrol etc if you are out of pocket returning things I have done it .I Checked with trading standards first

ctznsmith
    Free Member

You are allowed to claim petrol etc if you are out of pocket returning things I have done it .I Checked with trading standards first

Really? You learn something new every day…anyone know if there is a similar provision for returns postage in the 'distance selling' rules?

stevious

@Edric – do you have a link to info on this?

@Others – I don't want to name & shame until the whole thing's resolved.

@ctznsmith – I don't expect to be legally entitled to compensation or anything, I just feel a bit disappointed that they don't seem to want to keep me happy as a customer. When needlesports.com messed up an order I made with them a while ago, they threw in a free karabiner with my order to say sorry. They're still my first stop for climbing gear, but it seems this retailer doesn't have the same attitude, which is a shame.

geoffj

anyone know if there is a similar provision for returns postage in the 'distance selling' rules?

If they send you the wrong thing, or its faulty, then they have to pay for return postage. If you simply change your mind, then you have to pay.

Speshpaul

You are not buying carrots and cornflakes, you are spending £2K+ on leisure. They, the bike shop are not selling you something you must have, its something for fun-enjoyment. They are in the leisure industry.
    If your experience is one if being fecked about then where's the fun in that. They have failed. I'd be pee'd off with them, 2k is still a lot of money, I'd want it right – first time. I get it in the neck if I screw up at work.
    You should not be out of pocket for their mistakes. Based on your experiance why would you use them again? Ask them.

Sorry slight rant there, but i've just been fecked about by on-one, so i no i've got no time for this sort of service.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

@stevious I think the point I was trying to make (very badly) is that they may not be in a fiscal position to have the same attitude.

Also you may have got the monkey, ask to speak to the organ grinder. 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

am i supposed to let this get to 20 posts before i mention using a local bike shop?

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Stevious is this is a big or small retailer?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Their at fault not you and you have a right to be annoyed name & shame, tell them to get their act together, also ask to speak to someone senior so you can make your issues clear.

geoffj

Threaten to cancel the order. That should focus their minds a little bit.

stevious

@ctznsmith It's an independant retailer. Not massive, but I think they're a bit more than a tiny Ma & Pa organisation. The service I mentioned from needlesports earlier is from a tiny shop in Keswick. Maybe I've been spoled by their great service.

@SOOBalias – issue with LBS is that I'm at work when they're open and I don't want to waste my weekends shopping.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

id be saying sorry and chucking something in so you still thought i was decent! At the very least….keeping the customer happy is the most important thing…

Edric64
    Free Member

I have not got a link it was a long time ago and I phoned Somerset trading standards to check as I had to drive 20 miles to Bristol and park to change a video player (told you it was a long time ago!)

thepodge
    Free Member

Probably packed by the Saturday kid who's finding its not as cool as he expected working in the bike business so couldn't care less

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

yep we had a similar chap who worked at the shop…sent a couple of bikes with front wheels/saddles missing….was on cloud nine most of the time

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Online retailer: should I be pissed off?’ is closed to new replies.