Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Online photo storage, what do use?
  • samuri
    Free Member

And that is one of the things that makes flickr so useful for me. The wealth of tools the community have developed is huge. And for 15 quid a year, it seems rude not to. I have a cheap external hard drive for backing up important stuff.

MrSmith
    Free Member

If you have a pro account, we also store your high-resolution originals, which you can download at anytime as long as you remain Pro

How cuunning of you to miss this bit.

how cunning of you to ignore my comment about the 20mb file limit and converting to sRGB colourspace

[/i]My original image is 5415×3610 pixels and is 23.5 MB. In Flickr’s bulk uploader (that I use to upload all of my photos to flickr) I’ve selected the option “don’t resize my photos.” Out of my 25 uploads this morning, flickr did in fact upload the actual originals of 24 of the 25 photos. The one that was over 20MB though was automatically resized to 2048 x 1365 pixels and now is a miserly 627KB.

While I can understand where Flickr might not want to notify me that my image was over the 20MB limit, reducing it down to a sub 1M file seems like overkill. I’ve always assumed that my photos on flickr could be perfect backup copies for me in the event that I lost my original photos (which are already backed up on multiple drobos and elsewhere in the cloud). It’s disappointing to know that even though I told the bulk uploader not to resize my photos that Flickr has been resizing some of my photos anyways. I suggest that if they are going to keep doing this that they put a disclaimer on the bulk uploader that photos over 20MB will be resized.

the ‘original’ is resized with a ‘pro’ account

ebygomm
    Free Member

I used to use FlickrDown for bulk downloads (my sister was travelling in Australia and so I backed everything up on a local computer as she uploaded to her flickr account) but unfortunately that’s no longer available. Plenty of alternatives suggested here

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Online photo storage, what do use?’ is closed to new replies.