Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • On One Whippet concerns!
  • deep_river
    Free Member

I am looking for a new bike at the mo, and when I saw that the whippet was down to 999 i almost wet my pants, as thats within my budget.

However I am concerned that the issues about the lack of BB clearance when set up for 3 rings are quite serious.

Please tell me otherwise, as I really want one, but cant get around this.

jonny-m
    Free Member

me too, what about running a double chainset?

rOcKeTdOg

1 x 9 FTW

Stoner
    Free Member

running double youd have to get the 999 offer, remove the crank and LH shifter (unless you bodge) flog them and replace them.

Shouldnt have to really, but PX Dave did come into the other threads to explain the dearth of double chainsets available at the right price and why they’re putting the triple out. BUT id hope they at least trim the inner ring tabs before shipping.

deep_river
    Free Member

excuse my ignorance, how do i make it a 2 x 10

alanm
    Free Member

Triple works fine if you file down the tabs on the inner chain ring, went out for a 4/ 12 hour run on mine on Monday through lots of mud and other crap and had no problems with the filed down chain ring rubbing on the bottom bracket housing

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

deep river – take the crank off and take the three rings off. Replace with two rings, an inner and a middle, of your choice. I use a 26 inner and a 38 middle as my outer. You may need different chain ring bolts too. Adjust front mech accordingly and you’re good to go.

tomhplanetx
    Free Member

Hi all, just to let you know the Whippet will work fine with an SLX triple, though we do recommend going for a double to give better clearance. We’re working on getting hold of doubles for builds at the moment, but we probably won’t be able to hit a £999 price point with them on.

Hope this helps.

trigger737
    Free Member

Ive had this very issue today! Got a xt m770 chainset and got rid of the triple rings and bought a 26t and 38t blackspire ring set up with a race face bb92 adaptor. Put it all together today and the inner ring touches the bb frame shell! Did not turn the cranks as didnt wanna damage the frame in case its going back! is this normal cos its really pissed me off actually. What cranks are actually compatible cos i dont wanna run a single ring setup. Do i have to buy a new double chainset or have i gotta file down my brand new rings? Build with pro 2 hubs, 717’s. r7 forks, xtr gears with xt cranks. USE carbon bars and post. I hope its a sub 23lb build!

partyboy
    Free Member

Err, try reading the thread?

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

The issue is that it will run the tripple chainset in an ideal/test bench scenario however it has proved in some cases to be unfit for purpose as far as riding on UK trails in your average UK winter conditions is concerned.
    It looks like, off the back of this evidence PlanetX have now recommended the use of a double chainset. Having a triple with only 2 chainrings isn’t really going to cut it….well it will, quite literally. Pardon the pun but you get what I mean.
    It has been said that the XT triple chainset and it’s rings give more clearance than the SLX that they have been selling as their main build (as with the one I rode/ride/may ride again I s’pose) so I’m confused as to why you’d remove them in this situation.

Basil

If you look at the demo bike in the showroom you can see the scoring on the bottom of the BB.

trigger737
    Free Member

Ive now dremelled off the tabs of the inner ring and its given me a couple of millimeters clearence around the bb shell now. It means it will work but christ the ring clearence is very tight on the chain stay! Damn site cheaper than have to buy a double chainset. Cheers for the advise.

placid_casual
    Free Member

running x9 with 3×9 set-up and no problems whatsoever…
    not sure i understand the problem.
    gratuitous photo:
    [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/placid_casual/5575374764/]whippet night ride[/url] by placid casual, on Flickr

trigger737
    Free Member

sounds like you been lucky. What cranks ya running? my xt rings used to rub but now are perfect. need to upload a pic of mine to the on one website. Nice to ride arnt they. My first carbon hardtail and dont think ill be going back to scandium!

dasilva
    Free Member

Just finished building my Whippet and submitting the pics to the on-one site, 21lbs but thats with spanky bits on like XX and FRM. Racing it Sunday – can’t wait.

stylish
    Free Member

Go careful with heli tape, i put a bit on the top tube to protect it when i placed my light battery on for a ride on Tuesday, and when i removed the tape it took the laquer and the on one logo off, and true to form On One were about as helpful as our local council, 2 months old and now its looking rough…………..

jonny-m
    Free Member

why you remove the tape?, my heli tape is staying put… forever

wwaswas

as above helitape is permanent why would you be putting it on and taking it off for every night ride?

stylish
    Free Member

it was a pvc tape, not heli tape, i know better to try and remove that!

just wanted it off so i could see the logo again……..

wwaswas

careful with heli tape, i put a bit on the top tube

that bit fooled us 😉

andyl
    Free Member

heli tape is designed to come off. You might want to use a hair dryer to soften the adhesive though.

stylish
    Free Member

I think i proved i cant multitask, trying to type, think and talk to the wife led me to that mistake! better not talk to her again.

The only decals On One have are for the 456, and they are huge, so no good for my frame, so its going to be stripped and re-laquered properly i think.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I almost suffered a wallet-cum over one of these. Glad I didn’t now… 🙁

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Me too although it’s that bloody dog decal on it that puts me off not the triple issue as I wouldn’t be seen dead with a triple on an XC bike…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘On One Whippet concerns!’ is closed to new replies.