Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • On One Scandal: What's your opinion?
  • Underhill
    Free Member

Fancy something lightweight for a change for singletrack/fireroad/road type duties.

This is the place to get opinions, what are yours?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I like mine an awful lot, smooth ride, light, nimble and a nice long top tube which is just how I like them.

tazzymtb

brilliant bikes,love my big wheel ss version to bits. Common as muck though 😥

jockhaggis
    Free Member

As above.

Love mine, normal wheels and gears!

Light and can take a fair amount of abuse.

Don't know about being common as muck, never seen another one when I've been out.

Northwind

I liked mine, but it did leave me of the opinion that despite On One saying it was great for up to 130mm, it was actually pretty rotten with anything over 110mm. But as a 100mm XC bike it was superb- fast but stable, confidence inspiring. And comfy too, everyone assumes an alloy frame will be stiff but it didn't work out that way at all.

Still, I was a bit dissapointed that with the fork wound out it because a bit of a barge… I put up with it assuming that was just the price to be paid til I rode a Soul, and then I never rode the Scandal at full length again because it was just so badly shown up. The Soul's heavier of course and not quite as good at 100mm so it's a balancing act but the bottom line was it never did the job it was supposed to. It just felt like a 100mm bike some idiot had put a long fork in.

stayhigh

Very happy with my Scandal, very fast, comfy and nimble on the climbs. Its great on the smoother stuff and can handle rough trails too. I also use mine with a spare set of wheels with slicks on that I use for commuting duties and its superb for that.

A friend had one which he put a set of DT Swiss 130mm forks on which gave it a more relaxed feel and didnt seem to affect the ride to much. He kept it like that for a couple of months with no complaints untill he got a Ti 456.

Underhill
    Free Member

Cheers. Still trying to make my mind up, one on ebay at present but can't decide if a 456 wouldn't suit me better.

pinches
    Free Member

i raced mine for 2yrs while at uni, currently have a set of slicks for commuting on and use it for north downs trail riding at the weekends.

They're good bikes, nice and light, suprisingly capable for "race" geometry. Although, on-one recommend an 80mm stem on an 18" one which isn't that long – a sign of the long top tube i guess.

I've always run mine at 100mm. I run either SIDs or F100s on mine and its very well balanced.

alexpalacefan

Love mine, run 90-120 adjustable fork (I think), nice and light and super on the twisty stuff. Run SS and goes like a rocket,

APF

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I see on-one state 100mm max on the website now. I have 100mm Reba Teams and one gear on mine and it goes like sh1t off a shovel. I'll ride just about everything I'd do on my 456. Its funny what Northwind says about the Soul as I've read a couple of reviews where they say the it feels better with a shorter fork on it than it could take.

Northwind

"Its funny what Northwind says about the Soul as I've read a couple of reviews where they say the it feels better with a shorter fork on it than it could take."

The last review I saw (WMB I think which IIRC gave it 4 and a half out of 5) seemed really confused, they were trying to run it with a 140mm fork sagged to give the same ride height as it would have had with a sagged 100mm fork I think, no idea why… Soul does work very well at 100mm but the Scandal pips it I reckon, just feels that little bit less nervous.

epicyclo

Great bike, especially with On-One carbon fork and Midge bars.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sorely tempted, if only they did it in a nice colour than the boring anodised black or pink?

Come on, give us some colours we actualy want to ride arround on otherise I'll have to spunk the money on a kinesis!

alexpalacefan

Get the pink, think 1950's Cadillac shocking pink sort of thing. A paint job for a real man!

APF

poppa
    Free Member

You complain about anodised black being boring, but turn your nose up at shocking pink. What do you want, the moon on a stick!?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I like the understated ano black, doesn't make you look like a wanna be factory racer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I never understood the whole stealth thing.

I'd buy it in a bright colour, but not pink, it's got to be the most hidous paint job I've seen on a bike since scoe made pink stiffee' !

rob2
    Free Member

I bought one off here and love it… had 130mm forks on it but changed to Sids and its much better. They are a blast to ride.

Re colour. You could always get the black sprayed if you don't like and its still cheap

alotronic
    Free Member

The on-one pink is puke, and I speak as a former pink bike owner. Pink has to be really soft to work, proper pale, almost white, then it's great. Screaming pink is a no no unless visibility on your ride to work is the main thing…

I love the company but on-one haven't got their colours nailed. The recent 456s were colourful but none of them really looked ace to me compared with Kinesis lovely green, or the recent Orange steel frames. Maybe it's all Brant's fault as his frames are a little harsh on the retinas too. Unless they are ti of course!

mauja
    Free Member

I used to have one before switching to a carbon hardtail, to be honest the Scandal was more fun to ride, I don't think you'll find much to beat it at the price.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Exactly the same geometry-wise as the standard inbred aren't they? People seem happy to run those with 130mm forks.

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

Love mine…Singlespeeded up with a carbon fork. Light and nimble…

Underhill
    Free Member

Sounds like it could be just the ticket then. Think I've yet to hear a bad word about them.

Wouldn't be building it up too light, it'll have to see duty for some rougher trails as 1 of only 2 bikes in the stable, but I'll be keeping an eye out for a decent frame shortly.

Cheers for all the input.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘On One Scandal: What's your opinion?’ is closed to new replies.