Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • On One 456 – Framesaver, Waxoyl or not bother?
  • Pieface

A can of framesaver is 10% of what I paid for the frame. Is Waxoyl effective (readily available from Halfords) or not bother?

In all reality how long would it take for a frame to rust through? I doubt this frame will be a keepr past a few years but want to get on with building up the bike.

I know Waxoyl can be applied retrospectively, can framesaver too?

PJM1974
    Free Member

As someone who’s just bought a steel frame, this is of some interest.

As part of the building process I’ve poured in a little engine oil and made sure it’s coated the inside of the frame. Waxoyl is probably the best way to go though.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve never bothered. My 17 year old steel Kona is still going fine as are my other steel frames.

thomthumb
    Free Member

are you gonna keep it in the sea?

ride the bloody thing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother, unless you regulalry ride it on the beach.

I’ve got an old Claude buttler touring bike, resprayed sometime in the 80’s, spent all of the last year outdoors, only damage is the decals peeled off, saddle went mouldy and the tyres perished in the sunlight. Frames still rust free.

IHN

What clubber said. My also 17 year old steel Marin frame got me round the HNC nae bother at the weekend and it has been used and abused in all weathers.

In fact, it was a hoot, I’ve not had so much fun riding a bike for ages, right up to the point that I fell off 🙁

tops5
    Free Member

Was this just an excuse for another On One Thread??

s
    Free Member

I have never bothered yet with any of my steel frames tbh

Oldest is a 20 year old Reynolds road frame which I bought new that I commute with, gets used in all the salty rubish they fling on the roads, last BB service, looks like its still got another 20 years before the rust eats through 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Oh, don’t mind if I do 🙂

oh, hold on, I’ve got one of a 456 too (not waxoyl’d either)

FOG

I too have had loads of steel bikes over the years which I never bothered to protect without any problems. However, my 1yr old 456 has rust staining round all the drainage pinholes which certainly can’t be rubbed off with a rag. It’s been used throughout the winter but this has never happened with other bikes including a 20 yr old steel marin that my son uses every day to get to college.

prettygreenparrot

don’t bother.

faz083
    Free Member

Oh, don’t mind if I do

huh? those pictures bear no resemblance to this thread?

Northwind

Joins the “I’ve got a 20 year old steel frame” club… Gets used all the time, used to be a mountain bike, now it’s a commuter, it’s had so much use almost all the original paint was gone… Don’t worry about it, is the answer, IMO.

coatesy
    Free Member

Waxoyl’s ok until somebody tries a respray. Once the stoving starts, it melts, runs out of the drain-holes, and screws up the still soft paint.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Poured some veg oil in mine 20p

wwaswas

non-waxoyled steel frame with some ‘surface’ rust.

post a beadblast and (somewhat surprisingly a powdercoat)

I’d now use something on all my frames.

Having said that, my Curtis is fillet braised and there’s no holes in any of the tubes or junctions to get the stuff in so I’ve only done the seat and head tuubes….

Dancake
    Free Member

Spend your money on beer

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Dancake – Member
    Spend your money on beer

What he said.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘On One 456 – Framesaver, Waxoyl or not bother?’ is closed to new replies.