Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Old/scrap bike metal disposal?
  • BigEls
    Free Member

What do you guys do with all your old worn out cassettes/chains and mechs?

Seems a waste to sling them straight to the bin.

Where can they be recycled?

I asked a bike shop in town and they said they just sling it as they have to pay for disposal. I think thats lame and they should be doing it properly.

Can I take by stuff to a scrap metal merchants?

boxfish
    Free Member

I ride down to my local tip and chuck it in the container marked ‘metal’. 😉

Bagstard
    Free Member

My work collects scrap metal, including my old bike bits, then sell to the scrappy with proceeds going to Help The Heroes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes, but don’t expect any money for them.

Infact recycling is a bit of a none starter on a domestic scale, the average family, if it recycled everything it could and took it to the bins at the supermarket. It would require more energy in the petrol to drive there/back than would be saved by recycing them. Thats why they’re at the supermarket to try and minimise the extra miles.

rootes1

What do you guys do with all your old worn out cassettes/chains and mechs?

collect them in a big plastic box and then when full take to the dump when having to go for other reasons.

ruffrider

In fact recycling is a bit of a none starter on a domestic scale, the average family, if it recycled everything it could and took it to the bins at the supermarket. It would require more energy in the petrol to drive there/back than would be saved by recycling them. That’s why they’re at the supermarket to try and minimise the extra miles.

The trouble is if we don’t make the effort we just end up with more landfill which is simply not the way forward. I now only produce 1 black bin back of rubbish a month, I live in a flat so all my food waste goes to a friend who has a fairly extensive wormery system in place. I recycle everything I can because I believe if we all do it on a “domestic scale” it will have a positive global impact….. Happy (re) cycling 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

I try to minimise what I throw away. Everything runs for as long it can. Anything that really is scrap gets put in a bucket then goes down the tip if I’m heading that way.

bentos
    Free Member

The best place to dispose of them would be your local HWRC (tip). This will then get recycled and the income it generates helps to pay for the running of the HWRC’s.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Old/scrap bike metal disposal?’ is closed to new replies.