Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • OK – what National Anthem is the most rousing?
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Set the words aside – we can argue until the cows come home about GSTQ but I recognise neither god nor queen.

Which National Anthem sounds best? Which makes your heart beat that wee bit quicker when your hear it, even if the words are all in foreign and you have no affinity with the country or what it might stand for?

Top 3 for stuartie_c:

1) Russian
    2) French
    3) German

paulosoxo
    Free Member

2)French, because it was written by the Beatles

andrewh
    Free Member

Lichtenstein (seriously, have a listen.)

Flaperon

French.

Surfr
    Free Member

my personal faves:

Welsh
    Canadian
    Scotish

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Post a link andrew.

westkipper
    Free Member

Would I be right in assuming that Lichtensteins is pretty much just as boring, turgid and crap as the UKs?
    edit, France wins, BTW, even if it had no national significance, the choon would be hailed as a great piece of classical music in its own right, unlike most national anthems.

psychle
    Free Member

Australian… but this version… let it play (or skip to 1min 20sec), it's brilliant 8)

stanfree
    Free Member

Radioheads… Truly awesome

munkster
    Free Member

Radioheads… Truly awesome

+1

You beat me to it!!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I actually quite like the Welsh one!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My own. Sung at Croke Park, with the Bull Hayes crying as he sings it. As for other countries, I love the Welsh one, though, not a great deal of structure and obviously, the French one. Canada's ain't bad either.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I actually quite like the Welsh one!

Me too, Shortbread. Top 5 without a doubt.

Then again I have been drinking… You on for a couple of hours around the neighbourhood tomorrow?

big_scot_nanny

Russian (when you hear it sung by a big choir, maybe after a visit to the country… oooh. Hairs on end. Or indeed conducted by Sean Connery on the bridge of the 'Red October')
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZwpA4L7bws&feature=related (best i can find!)

Welsh (Millennium Stadium, Big match, belting it out…. oooh!)

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

French – just brilliant

psychle
    Free Member

I always think the French anthem is a song out of the 3 Musketeers 😆

kennyp
    Free Member

The French one, closely followed by the Welsh.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I quite like the Irish one as well! The bit where it goes 'Ireland, Ireland'

Stuart – could be. Going to pick up new frame tomorrow first thing (drunken On One impulse buy last weekend) and then got quite a few things to do. If I do go out I would think it would be late afternoon so maybe need the lights for part of the ride. Will text you tomorrow.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Late afternoon fits in just nicely with my lazy bastard agenda. Like your thinking!

andrewh
    Free Member

andrewh – Member
    Lichtenstein (seriously, have a listen.)

Posted 51 minutes ago # Report-Post
    stuartie_c – Member
    Post a link andrew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_c5QcmkAww

Anyone recognise the tune?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

French doing well so far.

Closely followed by Welsh.

Russian anybody? No?

pomona
    Free Member

I quite like the Kiwi one

E Ihow? Atua,
    O ng? iwi m?tou r?
    ?ta whakarangona;
    Me aroha noa
    Kia hua ko te pai;
    Kia tau t? atawhai;
    Manaakitia mai
    Aotearoa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlN0dBkGGcs

Just wish they'd drop the haka though. It's getting a little tiring and performed far too much.

backhander
    Free Member

I quite admire the kiwis for including some of the indiginous language, you can't see much american indian in star spangled banner can you?
    and I love the Haka. it's an immense tradition, I was really pleased to see it live last year and long may it continue (perferred the old one though). Interestingly it was fist performed (in rugby ) in britain in 1888 apparently.

samuri
    Free Member

come on. they're all totally rubbish. They're not supposed to be good. I think if I had to pick a winner it would be the american one simply because at least they play it all the **** time.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In Ireland, the anthem gets played before every GAA match…say the equivalent of GSTQ being played before every premier league footie game every week. Always rouses the crowd to be fair.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Strong words, softly spoken there samuri.

Ambrose

No competition at all.

Cymru am Byth

Im from the West Indies, Jamaica- you just have to love the music…
    Jamaican national anthem

IanMunro
    Free Member

The South African one always does it for me.

SaxonRider

Wales' anthem is stunning.

But so is Ukraine's. Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS2dhMIlpm8&feature=related

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘OK – what National Anthem is the most rousing?’ is closed to new replies.