Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Off to America – What Stuff Should I Buy?!
  • lank45
    Free Member

Right, I’m off to America for 3 weeks. Unfortunately can’t do any riding!

Was wondering what kit is well priced over there, and what if you were going you’d be looking to buy, especially as the Sea Otter has just been!

And no sorry I cannot bring you back a 650B carbon/ti full susser with a fat bike front wheel and road rear wheel, with Di2 rear and friction shifters on the front. It won’t fit in my bag 🙁

nealglover
    Free Member

Guns seemed pretty popular last time I was there 😉

lank45
    Free Member

I’m ok, I own some bombers 😀

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’d think about getting an Aerostitch suit made up for my commuting. Maybe if they still sell the 50% Smirnoff Blue for £10 a litre on the plane I’d get some more of that.

khani
    Free Member

Peanut butter m n m’s, Levi’s.. or a (muddy 😉 ) carbon tallboy….

TiRed

Levi’s – but check sizing carefully if for someone else, Abercrombie & Fitch for the kids (Sale prices are always very good). Almost all of my children’s clothes have been sourced from the US. iPods are about 20% cheaper in the UK, but watch for local sales taxes.

Bikewise, I brought back some Kreitler Rollers (twice – once for a friend). They just came under the import threshold. They weren’t imported into the UK at the time, but are available now.

And a carbon tallboy. Might get the frame on as hand luggage. Or a set of wheels. Hmmm (off to the US next week too).

neilferther
    Free Member

I managed to squeeze a Carbon Tallboy into my bag on a trip to NYC. Carefully smeared with mud from Central Park.

lank45
    Free Member

I fancy some carbon wheels, Easton Havens but they still don’t seem that cheap there!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Garmin stuff. Friend got a garmin GPS watch for about 1/3 of the UK price.

tomhoward

Mountain dew, the proper stuff, not the sh1t we get here!

Re the bombers, it’s them the do the owning. Not you…

rotten
    Free Member

Jolly Ranchers, love the watermelon flavour. Sorry flavor

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – to maximize your return, you need to bring something into the US that we can’t get easily over here, like Kinder Eggs. Don’t get caught, though. article

richc
    Free Member

Ibis tranny, even unbolts to fit in your case easily.

cozz
    Free Member

Ti fatbike frame in small

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Oversized underpants
    Plasticine (neutral colour)
    Couple of switches
    Couple of batteries
    Some odd bits of wire
    Antiperspirant

😉

mega
    Free Member

Tallboy LTc

And ZigZag burgers

mega
    Free Member

Oh and apparently Levis are cheaper in USA 😆

BoardinBob

A few gallons of petrol

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Fox Chav Hat. Get it delievered to wherever you’re staying so you dont have to hunt it down!

http://www.myfoxracingshox.com/?pid=167

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Glacier gloves. Micro fleece lined, 2mm neoprene, awesome winter gloves, but thin enough to feel.

zinger
    Free Member

you’ll find after state sales tax has been added most bike stuff is acutally more than you buy if for in the UK from the likes of chain reaction – in fact quite a few of my mates in USA buy most of their bike bits from chain reaction, there are some exceptions though – complete bikes are cheaper out there, bike gear made in USA i.e. fox is cheaper out there

Best bet for getting cheapest prices is to find what you want on line from the likes of amazon , cambria bikes etc and get it shipped to your hotel – that way you wont have to pay any us sales tax (as long as the mail order company is not located in the same state you are in. I’ve used Cambria to buy fox shox from, and amazon for Garmin GPX stuff in the past

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Off to America – What Stuff Should I Buy?!’ is closed to new replies.