Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Nexus 7, killed by lollipop, what next ?
  • glenh
    Free Member

My 2012 model was basically unusable after the update. Cache reset didn’t help. I’m typing this on it now though, after just doing a full factory reset – its a million times better now (probably better than before the upgrade).

Just do a full reset. It’s restord all my apps and setting automatically anyway.

bails

Anyway, on that google thread there’s a tip that worked for me: go into developer mode, limit background apps to 2 and turn off the 3 graphics options to do with scale. Tablet back to normal.

My n7 has been slow for months, tried the cache thing but it didn’t change anything. This has just instantly sped it up back to ‘brand new’ levels. 😀 Now to see if lollipop kills it, not come through on my 7 or 4 yet.

iainc

Just done the factory reset, it reinstalled all apps etc, took about 20 mins and now seems to be flying along !

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers bails – just done that too after a factory reset and we are flying along too.
    Nice one.

chipster

My 2013 Nexus 7 has just downloaded Android 5.0.1.

Is it safe now? Can I install?

iainc

^^ only 1 way to find out 🙂

I have ordered and am collecting a HUDL tomorrow and my Nexus has been retired as completely useless since the upgrade 👿

story continued…

Cougar

Can I have it?

iainc

Can I have it?

it might be on the classifieds soon, sold as seen, perfect working order, paypal gift 🙂

chipster

It’s installing. It’ll be fine. . . . hopefully. 😕

chipster

It’s working, so far.

iainc

Any views on ‘risk’ of selling these ? Seem to be a lot on eBay from around £50-£75. Would need a techy person to unravel all the lollipop mess and I’d hate to sell and then get into a dispute if they couldn’t sort it….

iainc

factory reset ‘seems’ to remove all trace of me….

But if buyer loads up their profile and it has any of the problems that I have had, do they have a comeback on me ? Much as I’d like to recoup some of the cost I really dont want an extended ebay/paypal dispute over it…

househusband

I’ll let you know… sold mine yesterday on eBay for £50.

dknwhy

Mine’s been fine since the update really. Am I just lucky?

househusband

Mine’s been fine since the update really. Am I just lucky?

There does seem to be an issue with the Lollipop update on the original, first generation, 2012 Nexus 7.

If yours is fine then I suspect you have a later model?

iainc

househusband – Member
    I’ll let you know… sold mine yesterday on eBay for £50.

Posted 16 minutes ago # Report-Post
    😀

yeah, thats what got me thinking !

There does seem to be an issue with the Lollipop update on the original, first generation, 2012 Nexus 7.

If yours is fine then I suspect you have a later model?
    mine was bought in Dec 12 and is a 32G one…..

dknwhy

Mine is the newer one, so I guess that’ll be why it’s ok. Ha ha ha peasants 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

Although my (1st gen) initially didnt like 5.0.0, then I cleared cache and tweaked settings and it improved, it has been slowly degrading since.

So I have just rolled it back to 4.4.4 which was stable and slick.

However, I was using Wug Fresh Nexus 7 root tool kit and somehow got within a gnat’s tadger of bricking the N7. Just about managed to fluke a rom flash. I was going to recommend it as a route back to safe running, as Ive done rooting before (and even used the Wug Fresh toolkit as well before) but even though Im not an XDA god myself, I cant now recommend to anyone who doesnt have oodles of confidence to have a crack at it given how lucky I was not to brick it.

I may have been unlucky, but I got stuck with a locked bootloader and only just managed to unlock it. Others may be able to do the roll back safely enough.

If you want go, start with the You Tube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JXGLNnSzGQ

but you’re on your own.

At least mine is back to top notch performance and ready for Stoner Jr to minecraft his butt off.

iainc

Thanks Stoner. That sounds way beyong my IT skills ! Anyway, I’ve bought a HUDL, which is great, just wondering whether it’s worth trying to punt the Nexus as is..

Stoner
    Free Member

Im pleased with my hudl2 as well (got it before the N7 5.0.0 fiasco). Just remember not to let the hudl do a system update to 5.0.0 until there’s enough reports around of it going smoothly!

nemesis
    Free Member

How is minecraft on android? Nem Jnr is getting a new tablet for Xmas (Hisense Sero 8 – I’ve installed apps on it ready for Xmas and it seems fantastic for the money) and I was thinking of splashing out the fiver for the minecraft app…

My 2012 N7 still hasn’t got lollipop though I’m reckoning on getting a Hudl2 as a replacement based on Stoner’s recommendation – after a positive experience getting a chromebook on his rec too 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

How is minecraft on android?

Like crack cocaine.

I have to ration the boys on it. Withdrawal is not a pretty sight either.
    On the plus side their imagination goes into overdrive though.

Previously Jr had been using a one of my tablets with my login and so “my” bought copy of minecraft. His little brother will continue to do that, by Jr Sr now has his own google account so I briefly added my debit card and bought him his own copy of minecraft, then removed my card from his google wallet again.

Its annoying that I cant buy Play giftcards online, but in future I will let him buy his own gift cards in Morrisons with his pocket money so he can buy apps if he wants (still under supervision for now – he’s only 8 this xmas)

nemesis
    Free Member

He’s well into it already on the 360 so I’m well aware how addictive it is for him (and me at times if I’m honest – you should see my underwater house 🙂 ).

Good point on the vouchers – hadn’t considered how to actually pay – similar to you he has his own google account.

juanking

The 5.05.01 update downloaded onto my 2013 Nexus 7 but I ignored the installation about 5 times. I was away with work and couldn’t be bothered trying to fix it, now the installation has disappeared from the notification and the whole patch can’t be found. Is there a way I can force an OTA update or would I need to manually install it? Cheers

dknwhy

Is there a way I can force an OTA update or would I need to manually install it? Cheers

Can’t you just go into the “about tablet” bit in settings and check for updates?

juanking

I’ve tried that DK however now it just tells me my software is upto date… The Nexus is pretty battered now so am considering a new one, I want to like the Nexus 9 but think the 7″ size perfect (fnar fnar) off for a look at the Nvidia Shield on Saturday…

househusband

a look at the Nvidia Shield on Saturday…

I looked at that one a few weeks ago – it does look awesome! Ended up with Hudl2’s bought with Tesco points; if it wasn’t for the Tesco points I’d probably get that Shield.

If you do get one let us know what its like!

iainc

The Nexus is pretty battered now so am considering a new one,

I can sell you one 🙂 Lollipop and everything 😆

househusband

Well… the buyer has left positive feedback so must (at this stage…) be happy with paying £50 for a barely working original spec Nexus rendered unusable by Lollipop!

(Assume he has the know-how to restore to an earlier version.)

Cougar

Or he read the other thread and therefore knows how to fix it.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I notice that Google are going straight to 5.2 as the N7 update. My 2012 N7 has yet to receive an update but my N4 is running fine on 5.1

Cougar

5.0.2. See the link in my previous post.

househusband

So this 5.0.2 has fixed the problems encountered by those of us with the original 2012 Nexus?

Anything other than an update downloaded and installed by the system would be beyond my skills; I did try and install 4.4.4 but gave up – I’m just not that technical.

Anyway – more than happy with the Hudl2!

stretchtoo
    Free Member

5.0.2 came over the air at the weekend and fixed it. Works brilliantly again, if anything better than with 4.4

No idea how they got it so wrong.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

yeah it’s sorted mine out now, along with uninstalling facebook as that was a nightmare…

househusband

Works brilliantly again, if anything better than with 4.4

Arse! Kinda wish I’d kept mine now… more than happy with the Hudl2 though.

kayak23

I’m still on 4.4.4.
    Original battery was horrendous. Just spent thirty quid on a replacement from Amazon and it’s still not lasting.. 👿

Mine (2012) says it’s up to date… No system update available..

mark90
    Free Member

5.0.2 came down to my 2012 N7 overnight. Installed it earlier and far so good. Before the update it was getting a bit laggy. Seems to fly along now, hope the improvement lasts.

Not sure I like the black on white keyboard though 😐

Edit…. Just changed keyboard colour scheme.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

How did you change the keyboard colour?

Just updated to 5.02. It works, but hasn’t addressed the laggy problems. It’s hardly an earth shattering development.

mark90
    Free Member

Settings > Language and input > Google Keyboard > Appearance and layouts > Theme

I changed from Material Light to Material Dark. Holo is the previous style keyboard.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Nexus 7, killed by lollipop, what next ?’ is closed to new replies.