Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Newcastle Eid Crash – the joys of news by social media
  • GrahamS

I made the mistake of clicking on the ”Trending” story on Facebook about the Eid crash in Newcastle.

For anyone not aware, a car crashed into a crowd celebrating Eid outside Newcastle Central Mosque. Six injured, including three children.

Naturally everyone is a bit anxious, but Northumbria Police have stressed that it is not being treated as a terrorist incident. The driver, a 42 year old woman of African descent, had been celebrating Eid with her family and was leaving when she lost control of her car. Shit driver, but not a terrorist.

But look through the public posts on that timeline and you’ll see that most of people seem to have read the headline and then made up whatever story suits their internal narrative.

There are people:
    – assuming it was a jihadist terrorist attack
    – assuming it was a jihadist terrorist attack against white Christians (celebrating Eid at a mosque?)
    – complaining that a “terrorist attack” is being reported as an accident because it was a white man versus Muslims.
    – speculating that it will be blamed on a lone wolf white guy with mental problems
    – applauding it as a revenge attack!
    – posting #PrayForPeace and #NotInMyName

I’ve always been aware of how social media distorts these stories, but it is interesting/educational/appalling to watch it happen to one so close to home.

For many people that twisted second-hand version of events they’ve read on facebook/twitter will be the only version that they see. That will be their reality and inform their view of the world.

🙁

Mackem

Some people are stupid. That’s it really.

slowoldman

Yes people are always ready to put their own interpretation or spin on a story as soon as it breaks and no information is yet available.

Never happens like that on STW though.

GrahamS

Mmm true.. but on here it’s generally people discussing it literally as the news breaks, saying things like “I hope this isn’t what it looks like”.

Whereas FB seems to be full of people posting nonsense long after the details are known and often linking to headlines in mainstream news that they clearly haven’t actually read.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Whilst a lot of people seem to be applauding the spread of basically DIY journalism through social media, basically this is what you’ll end up getting – just a random disparate set of mostly fake and made up stories.

terrahawk
    Free Member

People shouldn’t be allowed on the internet.

alanf
    Free Member

People shouldn’t be allowed on the internet.

Quite right!
    Down with this sort of thing….

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Some people are stupid. That’s it really.

True dat. But unfortunately they have the same access to social media as everyone else and may well post more frequently, therefore distorting the discourse and drowning out any level headed responders.

SaxonRider

I hope this isn’t what it sounds like, but I hear that Joe Cocker’s dead.

shifter
    Free Member

My first thought was ” what’s Eid?”

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Nope, releasing a new album soon. You’re thinking of Eric Clapton

GrahamS

My first thought was ” what’s Eid?”

Ok, but did you read the articles to find out, or just write a massive ranty post on facebook about it? 😀

slowoldman

” what’s Eid?”
    Home made bombs aren’t they?

shifter
    Free Member

You won’t find anything from me on facebook!

Northwind

Definitely a false flag

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Newcastle Eid Crash – the joys of news by social media’ is closed to new replies.