Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • new toy :) it's an epi pen :(
  • robob
    Free Member

whoa!! i know its not a toy really but i'm a bit bewildered as to me having one.

i react very badly to insect bites (been on flucloxacylin (sp) three times this year).
    however on thursday, and just for a change i got stung by a wasp on the side of the head, on friday the side of my head swelled up down and across my throat and down my chest to nipple line but didn't affect breathing… docs gave me antibiotics (again) and commented that the only time i've used the nhs as far back on his system was for flucloxacylyn for bites!

anyhoo doc rang today to say to pick up a prescription he's written for an epipen… i thought kids who didn't like peanut butter had them.

my missus will pick it up as i've not got time to get it before our hols, and i will speak to him properly as to when to use it, but i assume its for throat closing, non brathing situations… not just oh heck i've been stung/ bitten i'll have a dose of this? and docs prescribed it for worst case scenario?

sorry for the long and boring post, but medicince and health and docs and me don't really mix.

spokebloke
    Free Member

I ought to sort myself out too.
    Had my first bad reaction about 12 years ago – 1 bee sting = 10 days off work.
    Was stung by a wasp recently and it buggered my hand for a week.

Houns

Is it wrong to ask for pix?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Have something very similar to inject Sumitriptan for Cluster Headache.

Just load the pen from one of the tubes which includes the needle and press the end to inject into the thigh.
    Afterwards unload the used cartridge back into the dispenser and dispose in a sharps bin

meehaja
    Free Member

Strictly speaking it is for anaphylaxis, I.e throat closing up/ can't breath type scenarios. However, it is indicated for use in "allergic reactions" and is very effective at reversing allergic type effects such as respiratory wheeze, swollen face, hives/itching etc. I'm not suggesting you misuse this drug, and be aware that it is not very pleasant, but if you think you need it, have a jab, rather than suffering whilst wondering when you're supposed to use it.

Edit: Hurts least in the bum

ski
    Free Member

btw, the jab hurts like hell, its a real slammer!

But it does work, well I am still here 😉

I have a thing going on with bee stings, been lucky a couple of times, (before I had the use of a epi-pen) after being stung by them, puffy eyes, throat swells up alarmingly quickly, breathing problems.

Wasps mind, I dont have a problem with, once got stung over 30 times by a swarm, stuck miles from help, thought I was going to be a gonner! But apart from getting one stuck in my ear I was fine 😉

robob
    Free Member

cheers for the advice chaps, and of course its wrong and insensitive to ask for the pics… it would be even more wrong and insensitive of me to post them!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘new toy :) it's an epi pen :(’ is closed to new replies.