Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New rear shock needed for SC Superlight. RP23 or not ?
  • twonks

As title really.

I need a new shock for my Superlight. The old float RC (modified and custom valved from MOJO) has damage beyond repair so time for a new one.

The frame is a new version and front forks are RS Reba Teams with U turn (always set at 100mm)

I was going to go with an RP23 or even a Monarch 4.2 as they seem to get glowing reviews etc, but am begginng to wonder if I need the adjustability of such a beast.

Once the pressure and rebound was set on my old shock, I never changed it – irrespective of riding.

I ride XC and trail centres mainly. Wheels normally on the ground, although I do like the ride to be on the harder side of squidgy.

What are peoples thoughts regarding shock options ?

Does the Superlight benifit hugely from all the Propedal and demping adjustments?

Money isn't the prime concern, but it is a deffinate factor.

Ideally want to spend no more than £300 and if possible less than £200, hence the thoughts about a Float R just to simply replace mine.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Got a RP23 on my superlight its excellent,my mate just got a new RP23 from the us on the bay for less than £200.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I stuck a Float R on my Isis (4 inch travel, single pivot), had the propedal and compression set to firm at the factory and am very happy, no bob, plenty of plush.

Unless you need lockout why spend the extra and have more to go wrong.

J

twonks

Cheers for the replies.

Milky one – Did you have a shock on the Superlight before the RP23?

Jools – I don't need lockout or any fancy variable damping (or at least I don't now as I don't have it)

Suppose what I should be asking is would the Float R be any different to the RP23 when they are both set up for the bike and left alone. ie, no changing the pro pedal position etc that can be done on the RP23.

xcstu
    Free Member

Have a superlight (new shape) that came with a RP23 shock.. Totally brilliant!

Run it on one setting for fully active and click to another setting for almost complete lockout… 😉

High rated and never had a problem… touch wood.

twonks

Thanks again,

After a bit of searching – both soul and interwebz 😆 , I have found and bought a RP23 from German fleabay.

Brand new with the correct mounts included, all for £190 delivered from a bikeshop with 100% feedback.

I really didn't want to give a non UK company the business, but at that price I couldn't say no.

Just see when it turns up now 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New rear shock needed for SC Superlight. RP23 or not ?’ is closed to new replies.