Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • New iPhone 3G[S]– yay or nay?
  • z1ppy

yes willard I’ve just gone and got one, been umming and ahhing over them since march… of course I can’t use it till I get home & set it up with itunes (work internet won’t allow this). Boo!

I am most definitely not a mac fan boy (I usually slag them off quite a lot with good reason*), but since my g/f got one earlier in the year I have been addicted to it, as it’s such a great tool.
    I now have a phone (minimal use to me, but having one is useful), a decent sized MP3 player, a video player, an internet browser at a minimum. This ignores all the great utilities that have already and are being created for it…. TomTom being just one of them, does any other phone support it, will any other phone support it?
    Anyone with a Nokia is fooling themselves that the ‘apps’ will ever be as good as the ones made for the apple iphone IMO, though that not to say the nokia or other don’t have there good points.

BTW @ 37 this is the 1st phone I’ve ever paid for, on my first contract – I didn’t jump in to this without thinking it all through throughly.

* try getting support for a mac when it’s out of warrenty, **** impossible without paying a small fortune.

willard

Zippy, what was the queue like at the place you got it from, or did you do the sensible thing and pre-order?

z1ppy

no queue when i went down @ 12.30.
    I phoned & checked availability first, they were obviously vetting for ppl after “contracts” rather than P-A-G.
    I didn’t pre-order with Carphone warehouse, as no-one could guarantee when they’d have stock (even if you’d pre-ordered), the 02 shop I used (worcester) didn’t even know how many phones they were going to have until they were delivered last night.

Being as I work in Worcester but live nearer birmingham, I assumed I’d get one at some point this weekend, was just lucky today.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Biggest issue with having an i phone is that it drags you closer to being a mac fanboy, see various posts above to illustrate this :o)

If GrahamS has one, then I’m failing to see the logic in the above…am I right Graham?

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

How much easier does an application have to be? You shove a cd in the slot, iTunes opens, you click import cd, job done.

You have to click a button to rip a CD?

blimey – i use windows media – i clicked the ‘automatically rip cd’ tick box, so when i get a new CD i just pop it in the drive and it automatically rips to the specified location with all the ID tags completed. 🙂

JxL
    Free Member

After starting a topic with an angry note, I just got myself the 3GS 😀 made an appointment so no queues (though it wasn’t extremely busy anyway).

Its on charge now, downloaded few apps and setting it up.

GrahamS

If GrahamS has one, then I’m failing to see the logic in the above…am I right Graham?

Indeedy. I’m pretty far from being a Mac fanboi. Quite the opposite in fact. But I’m happy to admit that my iPhone rules. 😀

maxray
    Free Member

I don’t know him personally like you deadlydarcy but such vigarous defence of a phone is all the evidence I need…

:o)

aviemoron
    Free Member

I’ve had my 3g nearly a year now and have been very happy with it. In fact still not bored with playing with it, as well as provng v capable as a heavily used business phone. Now with the software update it’s just spot on. However, I’m due a free upgrade in September and I’ll be signing on the dotted line for another 18 months and a 3gs.

GrahamS

maxray: for my non-mac-fanboi pedigree I refer you to the ”mac vs pc” troll thread last month where I took the side of the PC and slagged off Apple quite happily. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Which I remembered…you’re still wrong though 😛

But right about the iPhone 8)

willard

Gave in… Spent 45 minutes with a blue-shirt at the apple store yesterday and walked out with a black 16GB 3gs. Loving it.

fu_manchu
    Free Member

I’ve done the same. Finally caved in to the world of iPhones. Seems really good so far, lots of experience with blackberries has at least tuned my thumbs to the keyboard. So far very impressed

tp2000
    Free Member

For me, there isn’t enough in the 3Gs to warrant an upgrade over the 3g once its had the 3.0 software installed. I am (somehow, as I can’t see what has changed) getting better battery life now and the landscape screen really does make life easier!

Whilst I have around 20gb of music, if I want to lug a load of songs around (on holiday for example) then I’ll take my old ipod……you can sync different songs to different Ipods (i.e. selective songs to the iPhone and everything to the IPod).

However, regardless of the hardware the real killer for me is that O2 have taken away the unlimited text bolt on for new or upgraded* iPhone contracts. Given the iphone eats texts like its going out of fashion, it seems a strange and rather shortsighted decision……..and that for me is the absolute bottom line of why I’m not upgrading!

*I’ve heard mixed reports on this, but the option is definitely off the O2 website for new contracts.

STATO
    Free Member

Given the iphone eats texts like its going out of fashion

What do you mean? ive not noticed going over my limit, tho i admit i dont send a lot anyway.

tp2000
    Free Member

What do you mean? ive not noticed going over my limit, tho i admit i dont send a lot anyway.

It may be my refusal to use text speak (i’ll never ever be cool, dammit!), but I’m consistently up around the 600-700 mark………and I’m not a heavy texter – it seemed to have gone up from my old contracts where I had around 500 texts and rarely went over that.

JxL
    Free Member

Could anyone confirm that a single MMS message equals to 4 standard messages, and therefore uses free inclusive texts instead of charging extra? That’s what I have been told by Apple rep.

CountZero

How much easier does an application have to be? You shove a cd in the slot, iTunes opens, you click import cd, job done.
    You have to click a button to rip a CD?
    blimey – i use windows media – i clicked the ‘automatically rip cd’ tick box, so when i get a new CD i just pop it in the drive and it automatically rips to the specified location with all the ID tags completed.

I don’t want iTunes to just rip a cd as soon as I stick it in the slot. I want to have control over what tracks I rip, because even on favourite albums there are occasionally songs I don’t want. Also there are songs that I want to join together, and ‘hidden’ tracks that I want to crop out and record without a twenty minute silent space. Compilation albums always have lots of tracks I don’t want. If you’re happy to let your software import any old junk without letting you check what you want ripped first, that’s your prerogative, but I want to maintain my own control over what goes in, thank you.

tp2000
    Free Member

Could anyone confirm that a single MMS message equals to 4 standard messages, and therefore uses free inclusive texts instead of charging extra? That’s what I have been told by Apple rep.

This is from the O2 website…….

You can use your text bundle to send picture messages in the UK and abroad. One picture message equals four normal texts, or if you’ve got no bundle texts left, they cost 24.47p a message (21.28p excluding VAT).

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Wunundred!

I have nothing of any use to add.

STATO
    Free Member

It may be my refusal to use text speak (i’ll never ever be cool, dammit!), but I’m consistently up around the 600-700 mark………and I’m not a heavy texter – it seemed to have gone up from my old contracts where I had around 500 texts and rarely went over that.

I wonder if its because you cant tell how many characters you have typed? my old nokia used to show how many characters you had left to fit in 1 txt and if you went over it would cost 2 txts. That might be why your going over, its so easy to get carried away and type loads with the qwerty and big screen.

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘New iPhone 3G[S]– yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.