Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New forest Camping and road route recommendations
  • titusrider
    Free Member

Hi

looking to do a last minute night away with my fiancee. We were thinking of a nice campsite in the new forest on friday night followed by:
    http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/New_Forest_National_Park_Circular-Cycle-Route-1308.html

on Sat

So, does the route look ok? (in terms of roads, and how flat is it?)

Any campsite recommendations, we will just be in a 2person so secluded woodland feel campsite would be ideal.

Cheers

scaredypants

I’ve done the “top half” of that route before, and use the part of it above the A31 quite regularly. Really nice ride I’d say (I’d ride it anticlockwise, not sure if everyone would agree though). Midweek would be good, less traffic (Bolderwood is quite busy up the ornamental drive)

It’s a bit hillier than you might imagine, but only rolling – it ain’t the lake district

soma_rich
    Free Member

Best part of that route is that it goes through Avon Tyrell. Pop in pay them some money and just play on their pump track and xc course better than most trails in the NF.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Yes its flat… (ok there may be a gentle slope or 2!)

Camping becomes your problem…. in forest campsites are shut…

However, try these guys: (and its on your route!)

http://www.avontyrrell.org.uk/page/camping.jsf

Oh and if going there take your MTB!!!

DrP

If you have a look at the UK Cycling events website, specifically for the “wiggle new forest sportive” routes, they often have the .gpx of the routes up there, and the Wiggle sportive route is a nice one too!

Here you go, but the GPS route has gone now…

DrP

EDIT – it’s here though!!

titusrider
    Free Member

Thanks guys,
    humm camping looks like it might be difficult then, not sure if i fancy a youth activity centre. the thought of being around children puts me off the nice relaxed weekend together i was after!

anything else that might be open?

ie
    http://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/our_sites__locations/england/new_forest/setthorns.aspx

scaredypants

I bet the red shoot site is open

I think they push themselves as family friendly but if you’re outside school hols I doubt it’ll be heaving

(someone on here suggested the pub as being good for a meal out the other day too)

titusrider
    Free Member

Red shoot open and looks great, thanks scaredy 🙂

scaredypants

there’s some good riding (both types) round there too – it’s bang on a lovely swoopy* road

*for the NF

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Holmsley should be open, I think? They’ve a few spots hidden amongst the trees.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Holmsley should be open

Not till easter!

titusrider
    Free Member

Cheers all, red shoot was open and suited just fine. They went too keen on a one night stay but but were fine about it once i actually got there!

The route I linked to above is brilliant, we did it from red shoot clockwise and im glad we did, the ornamental drives would have made for a long drag uphill (although we therefore did the less pretty bit last)
    Navigation was a little haphazard, i only had some google map printouts and my phone to help and we had a few confused moments but with the brilliant weather and a pub lunch it was a fantastic ride.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New forest Camping and road route recommendations’ is closed to new replies.