• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • New car time ( Used of course)
  • Inbred456
    Free Member

The trusty old Focus estate 2003 1.8 petrol 103K most of which is urban is finally starting to show its age. Idle air control valve playing up, clutch slave cylinder going, boot release failed etc etc. Nothing major but me thinks its time to let go and get something newer. Loved my Golf TDI estate but hated the ride and handling. As we have now re-homed a greyhound need something big to accommodate him and kids and bikes etc. I’m thinking specifically Vectra Estate 2006 onwards 150 CDTI. I am no badge snob so as long as it is reasonably reliable and cheap to run that will do. Any body have any experience of these / problems and things to look out for. Thought about the usual Passat/A6 and Mondeo TDCI 130 6speed, but the Vectra is cavernous and much cheaper.

donsimon
    Free Member

steveh

Vectras and mondeo’s should be about the same price and mondeo’s are nicer to drive. If you didn’t think the focus was too slow then the 120bhp diesel should be fine and they are a lot more common, 150’s hold a bit of a premium.
    If you do mainly urban stuff make sure you haven’t got a dpf (only likely 07 on really) as short journeys cause them lots of problem. If your mileage is low enough you’ll get a lot more car again with a petrol.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Wasn’t really sure when the DPF’s came in on the Vectra. Is it only on EURO IV spec models? I think the Vectra is good value, its just I’m not sure about their reliability. A lifetime warranty on new models. Are they any better than they used to be? Whatcar rate them really highly but I’m not so sure they always get it right.

br
    Free Member

Not sure on diesel Vectra’s but I put on 70k in 2 years in my last company petrol one with no problems at all – and the servicing was only £160 per 20k!

And they drive decent enough, post-56.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘New car time ( Used of course)’ is closed to new replies.