Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Need a good Country Pub Near Bath
  • sadmadalan

I’m going to be in Bath next week and need to take my (starving student) son out for a meal. Fancy a nice country pub not to far away from the city. Any recommendations?

titusrider
    Free Member

avoncliff (i think its cross and guns but its a rather tiny place with one pub!)

andygreener

The Wheatsheaf at Combe Hay is very nice.

llama

+1 for the wheatsheaf but costly

The one in Monkton Coomb is OK, can’t remember the name

Up my end of town, not really central, very reasonable: King William or Richmond Arms

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pear Tree at Whitley was very good last time I was there.

t_i_m
    Free Member

Was impressed with the Carpenters Arms in Stanton Wick

ART

That’ll be the Wheelright Arms in Monkton Combe, or Kings Arms in Monkton Farleigh is meant to be nice. Wouldn’t recommend AvonCliff – but for cheap and cheerful nosh keep going and stop at the LockInn in Bradford on Avon. Bath is falling over itself to offer you nice gentrified country pubs, with trendy nosh for London escapees so you’ll find somewhere. 😉

iDave
    Free Member

the two pigs in corsham

hoodoo
    Free Member

+1 for the LockInn at Bradford on Avon

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

iDave – Member
    the two pigs in corsham

No food, IIRC. Ace beer though, from Netheravon…! 🙂

Bit far North perhaps, but the Vine Tree in Norton is sublime.

timraven

Hope & Anchor at Midford, good food nice beer.

or come to us The Ravenwe are central, but like a country pub, no screens, no fruit machines, no loud music. Beer and pies are excellent, though I say so myself 😀

pault41
    Free Member

Hope & Anchor at Midford, good food nice beer.

or come to us The Ravenwe are central, but like a country pub, no screens, no fruit machines, no loud music. Beer and pies are excellent, though I say so myself

plus one Hope n Anchor.

Next i’m in Bath will have to try the Raven thou ,partial to a tidy homemade steak n kidney or steak n ale .

mamadirt
    Free Member

This one’s good. I have a starving son at Bath Uni too – best save this thread for future visits I reckon.

longwayhome
    Free Member

The George Inn at Norton St. Philip

A taste of the medievel

CountZero

The Fox and Hounds in Colerne is very good, excellent beers, and very good food, and a good atmosphere; it’s a proper ‘local’, but very welcoming. Not been there since last year, as the friend I’d go for a drink with has moved into Bath, but it’s a gem of a pub. The Crown, at Giddeahall on the A420, is my local, and a really cozy pub. Excellent beer, and a good restaurant, but it might be a bit too far out of Bath. The George, at Bathampton, is a very good pub, and it’s right on the Kennet & Avon Canal, but it can get a bit busy, although at this time of year you’d probably be ok.

rondo101
    Free Member

+1 for The George at Bathampton.

backhander
    Free Member

+2 for the george at bathampton.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

+3 for The George at Bathampton!

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

What sort of food are you after?

You’ll gather we’re spoilt for choice. The above are all good recs.
    Except The George. We’re boycotting them – they refused to serve us once for ‘being muddy’ and another time refused us 3 bowls of chips (to accompany the 12 pints we’d ordered!!)

palmer77
    Free Member

+ for the two pigs, go for the summer lightning, pigswill of brains skull attack!

CountZero

Pigs is a nice pub, but parking is almost non-existent, and it’s not very big, so unless you’re there very early, finding somewhere to sit is a problem. It’s also quite a long way from Bath, Colerne is much closer, or the Quarrymans, in Rudlow, at the top of Box Hill. Bit tricky to find, but a nice pub and good views over the valley.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Need a good Country Pub Near Bath’ is closed to new replies.