Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • My majorca training camp experience
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

Well I got back from my first experience of a training out in majorca. What an experience! I was totally blown away. We went on a friends suggestion with a guy that has just set up http://www.worldvelocamp.com.

Unlike other training camps on the island this is based in palma. This means it’s 5 minutes from the airport and allows you to join the spanish club runs. it was 27 euros a night and this included ‘as much as you can eat’ breakfast and evening meal. I honestly wondered how he was making any money as I ate the contents of the restaurant each night 🙂

In total i did 500 miles, 5500 metres of climbing and I even bagged a KOM on strava

For 2 of the days we hooked up with around 50 spanish riders for their club run. Spanish riders from different clubs all go out 4 times a week. Each ride is around 70 – 80 miles. I call it a club ride but its actually a race with money for 1st to the cafe stop.

This is the one

http://app.strava.com/rides/5077284

av speed 20.4mph (and look at the profile). The pace of these rides were unreal. There were riders getting organised at the front. Breakaways forming and sprints all over the place.

My strava stats have shot through the roof after these 2 club runs. My av speed for 5 mins was 30.4mph : http://app.strava.com/rides/5077284#96618298

The other thing was the atmosphere. These spanish riders are so friendly and were merryly chatting (when the pace dropped) and asking about riding. This was the cafe stop

Inside the place was packed full of riders. Food was put on for everyone for a flat 4euros which included bread, cheese, parma ham, beer! and a shot of espresso

All in all I would definately go again. The riding out there is incredible. the roads, the traffic, the respect you get from drivers and those spanish club runs

pics

Top of soller climb (some pic my mate took)

Forgot to say.. my 1st bad easyjet experience. My luggage didn’t arrive when I got there. So that was my bike and clothes etc. All i had was 2 books and my ipod. Took nearly 3 days to arrive (went on the next flight). One of the guys on the camp lent me a load of his cycling kit (He’s given me ben swifts katusha bib shorts) and i hired a bike for a couple of days

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Sounds great. I think i should move to Majorca! I can’t wait to go.

trickydisco
    Free Member

If you can try and get to palma to join these club runs. It will make your week!

( I can put you in contact with someone over there who knows where that start and times etc)

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

That would be great thanks. I think there’s about 17 of us there so will wait and see what the plan is first. I’m trying to talk TSY into coming with us but he’s wussing out 😛

The cafe stop photo looks the same as the cafe our runs finished at, except for the sun. And the cost of food. 😀

fasthaggis

Missing our club trip there next month 🙁 .
    It’s a great island ,there’s plenty for all abilities and the roads get better every visit.

mustard
    Free Member

Oohhhhh that sounds good. I hadn’t clocked it was based in Palma when I was looking at their website before although

Our accommodation is based only five kilometers from the airport

should have given it away 🙄 Their website isn’t exactly bursting with information, not that many of the training camp companies seem to give much away on their websites, but I doubt they can aford to do much with it with being so cheap!

p.s. I’ve still not got spokes so the wheels aren’t built yet

trickydisco
    Free Member

He only set it up this year. When we were there the czech national cycling team were in the same hotel.

We had a guy that was with a different training camp last year and he reckoned this was a better place to be based than north of the island

will
    Free Member

Got to admit that looks brilliant! Good pace on the rides too.

A quick question. How did you track your rides on Strava? GPS or Phone?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Garmin 800.. best bit of kit i’ve bought

trickydisco
    Free Member

p.s. I’ve still not got spokes so the wheels aren’t built yet

bugger!

i’ve got a set of 50mm tubs on the way 🙂 plus i’m getting rid of my planet x frame

gary

Ah – I think we must have crossed paths on the day you set the KOM near Puigpunyent, we saw some Bristol jerseys headed in the opposite direction to us on that day.

Had a great week but slightly (okay, substantially) less mileage than you. Shame about the weather though – looks like its been lovely this week!

mustard
    Free Member

i’ve got a set of 50mm tubs on the way plus i’m getting rid of my planet x frame

which ones and what you replacing it with?

daznal
    Free Member

nice mountains but no mtb content,i’m confused did you ride any singletrack?

mustard
    Free Member

Poor lad; life must be dificult being confused so easily

trickydisco
    Free Member

last year was mtb in les arc, year before that was mtb in morzine, year before that was mtb with joyriders in spain, year before that was joyriders also

so this year wanted to fit in a week of beasting for road racing season and the odd xc race

trickydisco
    Free Member

which ones and what you replacing it with?

Well I havent’ wanted to admit that my planet x is just too small for me. I think the sizing was way out. I’m 5’9 with 32″ inside leg and this is what a medium looks like

(when i 1st got it)

i’ve gotten used to it but after trying a few bikes out in majorca and ridnig a mates i just think it’s not right. That seat tube is 48cm long! I feel very much sat on it as opposed to in it and it feels a bit cramped and flexy

So i’m actually bucking the trend and gone with an aluminium bike with carbon fork/rear stays with a more horizontal top tube and getting some carbon tubs built up. This is from my mates bike shop

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Spent last weekend over there myself – hired a lovely Ambrosio Celsius carbon from the guys at Pro Cycle Hire in Port de Pollenca and stayed with my folks (on holiday themselves) in the old town, so right on the doorstep of the Tramuntana. Did a great flat ride (with the addition of Puig Santa Margarita and its hairpin bends) on Saturday and a fantastic hilly one up into the mountains around Lluc on Sunday.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many riders on the road, and as you say, such polite and chilled drivers. The road surfaces in the main are legendary and the combination of weather, scenery, food and people makes it my absolute favourite place to ride. Love it.

oldgit
    Free Member

Great.
    Would it be fair to say that it’s a semi organised training week? ish??

You can get the same experience in France ( a little closer to home) Getting to know local folk or ex pats is a great way to ride, and you feel really deep in the whole scene. I’d rather do what you’ve just done or hook up with half a dozen French or Spanish riders for a weekend of riding than enter big Euro events.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Sounds as though you guys have been having a great time out there.

Heading over myself in a few weeks time to Puerto Pollensa – gonetothehills: do you have any suggestions for approx 60 – 70 mile routes out at that end of the island? And did you pick up a map out there? Is there one specifically for road cycling routes?

trickydisco
    Free Member

SueW

The organiser had routes for us to follow which we could go on each day or follow gps routes he’d given us (apart from the 2 days we joined the club run/chain gang)

think it would be quite easy to put routes together. The island is really easy to navigate

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I forgot to ask one of the most important questions, is the espresso any good?! We are going to have to check out the rapha coffee bar when we are there… I’m going to look at this thread every day til we go *excited much* 😀

trickydisco
    Free Member

talking of hiring. Because easyjet delayed my luggage by nearly 3 days i had to hire a bike. We (my mate had his bike bag delayed also) ended up finding this place underneath a hotel. In there was this guy called markus. He was a legend! Turns out he was a mecahnic on the pro tour and good friends with a jan ullrich

He charged us 20 euros for 3 days and this included shoes. My mate ended up with this carbon stork

He didn’t take a passport or any deposit money. We just walked about with these bikes and told him which hotel we were staying in. Wish i’d takena picture of his workshop. It was absolutely immaculate

cynic-al
    Free Member

Does sound good. Tricky I think you need a bigger bike!

trickydisco
    Free Member

Tricky I think you need a bigger bike!

yep.. it’s on its way 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

I forgot to ask one of the most important questions, is the espresso any good?!

The espresso was amazing! i lived on coffee the whole week. 2 double espressos for breakfast. 1 for lunch.. rocket fuel

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

whole things sounds ace

would it be practical to take family – ie: non-biking mrs and 2 young children?

trickydisco
    Free Member

would it be practical to take family – ie: non-biking mrs and 2 young children?

One of the guys in another club came out for 2 weeks. 1st week doing serious miles and the 2nd his wife came out and chilled out in the hotel in the morning (sauna, jacuzzi swimming) and then he came back at 2pm.

Palma would be busier than the rest of the island at this time but it’s still much much quieter than the summer (which is good)

Sue_W
    Free Member

Ah, coffee! How could I forget about the most important element of cycling 🙂 Am getting excited now …

DGOAB – when are you over there? I’ll be there from the 1st to the 10th April – if you’re around during that time, and based in the same area, let me know if you fancy meeting for a coffee at some point?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2 double espressos for breakfast. 1 for lunch.. rocket fuel

Ammeture! I drink more than that on a weekday!

Signed up for strava the other day and was supprised by the number of local hills not on it, if I had the internet it’d be addictive!

mustard
    Free Member

Just looked at this on my phone to see your photos;

1 – I hope no one that got there early neede to leave teh cafe stop in a hurry!

2 – Your PX really is too small.

3 – Your new one the same as the front of those two? Looks very nice.

I need to get spokes ordered and spend some silly money on 3 tub tyres so I can get out on these new wheels.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘My majorca training camp experience’ is closed to new replies.