Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • My fitness pal???
  • ton

is it accurate.

today i have eaten
    breakfast
    2 rashes bacon
    2 poached egg
    mushrooms
    toms

lunch
    3 bacon
    2 sausage
    black pudding
    egg
    beans
    1 slice toast.

the other day, i hate poached eggs, veg soup and tinned mackeral
    todays calories are higher, yet the fat is less.

since when has tinned mackeral in tommy sauce been fattier than black pud? 😕

trail_rat
    Free Member

Depends on the data thats been input. You need to get the brand specific. Yu cant really have generic blackpudding by the ve nature of blackpudding every one has eir own recipe

ton

i put in 1 slice, the options had 1 slice to choose.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yeah but how many types of black pud were they when you searched for it…..

GaryLake
    Free Member

Barcode scanner on the app helps

trail_rat
    Free Member

Also you know by its nature also mackrel is a very oily fatty fish but mackrel fats aint bad fats , black pud fat is bad fat.

glupton1976
    Free Member

This is going to come across very bluntly, but it is not meant to offend. The other day you were saying that you are no longer losing weight despite eating not a lot. That’s a lot of relatively unhealth food you’re eating there Ton.

ton

but eating mackeral can put you into the red on your daily count?
    that is boolax surely.

michaelbowden

Hi Ton

I’ve been using it for about a month or so. For bought produce it’s great and you can check its accuracy against the packet. It is a bit of a faff and involves some guestimation when cooking from scratch.

It’s working for me (4 kilos in 4 weeks), mainly I think because it highlights the bad nibbles and picky food I tend to eat after a glass of vino or two.

But in those 4 weeks I’ve only been over the daily calorie intake once, on my birthday when I went out for a chinese. It’s taking quite a bit of self control!

trail_rat
    Free Member

What glupton said btw …..

ton

george, but it is not the type of food that keeps weight on necasserily.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

wow, what am i doing wrong, i can’t eat that much..

breakfast..

2 egg omelette

lunch..

1/2 tin baked beans

dinner…

sensible home-made. last night/tonight bowl homemade chicken/sweetcorn soup.

2 x mugs coffee one sugar/milk
    1 x nightime choc horlicks light made with water

daily calories arond 12-1300

at the weekend i have toast/butter/marmalade breakfast. poach eggs/toast for lunch.

i struggle to lose weight on that.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

The bar code scanner is a get tool for it.

Other than last week, i have found it spot on for my weight loss.

Wheni am entering what i eat i always edge on the larger portion size. Try to give myself some float in the system.

I have now dropped 13 lbs since 1 Jan and i think my metabolic rate might be slightly less, last week didnt quite make my target.

glupton1976
    Free Member

No – it’s the volume. If I was to attempt to eat that lot I’d feel like shit and have to exercise like hell to keep myself from piling weight on.

ton

my daily calories on the mfp are 1900, with 1 hours cycliny it goes up to 2340
    the amount i have used today with the food i have post is 1153 calories.

Duane…
    Free Member

You’re trying to loose weight, and that’s your diet? Is your username accurate?

ton

duane, i have lost 5 stone since march the 1st last year.
    my bp and cholesterol reading have dropped into a safe level, i ride everyday now, i have lost 6 inches from my waist and 8 inches from my chest, i also now only have 1 and half chins…. 😀

theotherjonv

i checked mackerel on another website

112g fillet (so not in oil, or tommy sauce); 230 cals, 140 of which from fat

Compare cod – 100g serving, 82 cals, 6 from fat.

Roast chicken (skin off) – 100g serving, 79 total, 4 fat

The oils in fatty fish are good for you for many other reasons, but not for calorie control. If you stripped the fat out of the mackerel it would be almost the same total w/w as cod or chicken.

julians
    Free Member

dont forget to put in your drinks as well.

I found MFP pretty accurate, and lost the predicted amount of weight when I used it, but as with any system, if you put garbage in you get garbage out. You’ve got to feed it the correct data.

jota180
    Free Member

I’ve never once managed to stay under the daily sugar recommendation on MFP
    The fruit puts it way over

ton

just shut my mfp account……gonna email idave a bloke i know for some sage advice to get me boosted. 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ton not all calories are equal. The reason ts worked todate is because you were so far beyond your ideal weight.

Seriously google and read about clean foods and try to stick to them. They can be a bit bland but spices and herbs , fruit and veg are your friends.
    What you have eaten today would leave me seriousy lethargic and feeling crap.

Does taste good occasionally though !

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Spot on with the sugar and fruit, its almost impossibe to stay under the reccomendation and i have eaten NO sweets since 31 Dec nothing. Dont even have sugar in tea or coffee.

ton

on a serious note, today is my blowout day trail rat, i only eat like this once a week now.
    i just thought it odd that healthy oily fish could be read as being bad on the mfp.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Leaving you 750kcal for everything you eat of drink over the rest of the day if you forget about the calories burned through exercise. 750kcal for everything after lunch including drinks is a pretty small meal in the evenings.

My guess is that the MFP calorie calculator thing builds in what would be considered “normal” exercise into it’s nutritional goal figures. If you have a job that doesnt let you take your 10000 steps/day or whatever then you will be using less than that. Hence the reason you are no longer losing weight.

Give me a shout on facebook if you want to discuss anything related to this.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Ton, I find the calorie burn predictions for exercise ambitious at best. Garmins are known to over exaggerate calorie burns but even that comes in well under what Fitness Pal predicts.

I’ve lost 4kg in a month, I try to not rely on the exercise to meet my target – that is I eat what I’m allowed and any exercise is a calorie bonus.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Is black pudding recommended for any diet aiming to lose you weight ❓

GrahamS

The nutritional data in MFP is mainly (all?) user-submitted, so yes it can be a bit wonky at times – but it’s usually pretty obvious when you search for something and get 5 results all roughly the same then one that is completely out of whack.

Most common problem I see is people entering the data straight off the pack using the 100g amounts, not “per serving” amounts.

MFP is great by the way. I’ve lost over two stone using it and I’m keeping it off.

And yes, I regularly have a sausage and fried egg roll for breakfast.

GrahamS

s black pudding recommended for any diet aiming to lose you weight

Course. Anything in moderation.

Or “IIFYM” if you prefer

Kryton57

Ton, listen to Glupton:

glupton1976 – Member
    This is going to come across very bluntly, but it is not meant to offend. The other day you were saying that you are no longer losing weight despite eating not a lot. That’s a lot of relatively unhealth food you’re eating there Ton.

..and perhaps have a read of the race weight thread I posted. Basically, I’m eating twice as much as you, but not all the shit you’re eating. so I’ll be healther despite eating 2500 cals per day and 3000 on ride days, I’m losing weight.

I use MFP to record my cals too. Pretty much the only good things you ate was your eggs, beans (tomatoes (assuming they are fresh and you didn’t fry them in oil)and the toast if it was wholemeal.

In summary of race weight, the things that’ll fill you up and are good for energy and weightlos wise are wholemeal and organic products, plenty of fruit and veg. Wholemeal really fills you up and is healthier.

Example, so far I’m at 1400cals (excluding the 1000 I lost from my ride) and have eaten:

Granola plus 2 slices wholemeal toast

Dates and natural Cereal bar

Wholemeal bagel with ham & salad

Recovery XS shake (post ride).

I wont get near 1000 with the dinner we have planned, but will be having a Biltong & Jarlsberg snack at 8.30 to compensate and get some protien in.

ton

kryton…….i have managed my weight loss without eating any of that shyte you reccommend.

glupton1976
    Free Member

FWIW today I’ve had:
    Porridge
    One banana,
    One apple,
    2 eggs worth of scrambled eggs,
    Two slices of wholemeal toast,
    and four glasses of water.

I will have tricolor pasta for dinner and some more fruit before I go to bed.

This evening I am doing some kickboxing training for an hour then going for a run for an hour.

I am losing weight at a nice rate and feeling much more healthy for it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

And to put it bluntly its that attitude that will slow down your continued weightloss .

Because you were so far the wrong side of healthy it fell off once calories were restricted. How ever that will only work so long , you are now plateauing and need to take further measures to continue your progress which by the way has been going very well and im chuffed that you have managed to go so far.

jimster
    Free Member

Been using MFP for a month or so regularly and it’s really helping.

Only “challenge” I have is exercise and Kettlebells aren’t listed – and swimming is a bit subjective.

Kryton57

Yes, what Trail_rat said Ton in reply. Well done so far, you are obviously doing really well, but to continue and to be healthy whilst doing it, try changing your diet to something healthier. Bear in min just restricting diet can restrict vital vitamins and nutrients as well, so look for where you can re-address the balance.

Just trying to assist. 🙂

edlong
    Free Member

I know sod all about nutrition, good fat, bad fat, all that science type stuff, but doesn’t common sense tell you that if you’re trying to lose weight then shovelling a load of bacon, sausage and black pud in ain’t the way to go about it?

rocket
    Free Member

You’ve done the low hanging fruit – well done. You are mow entering the world of marginal gains. Good luck 🙂

ton

trail rat and kryton, advice taken onboard and noted.
    cheers fella’s.

zilog6128

but doesn’t common sense tell you that if you’re trying to lose weight then shovelling a load of bacon, sausage and black pud in ain’t the way to go about it?

I would agree with you about the black pud and (certain) sausages due to the crap that gets put in them, however I lost almost 4 stone shovelling bacon, eggs and (good) sausages into my gob on a daily basis.

wwaswas

4 stone shovelling bacon, eggs and (good) sausages into my gob on a daily basis.

proving you can eat a lot of one food group and still be malnourished 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘My fitness pal???’ is closed to new replies.