• This topic has 27 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Mums and dads — what bike trailer?
  • rob2
    Free Member

Or anyone who doesn't have sprogs!

Looking to get a bike trailer for the kids, what are the best options out there? Money is an object so a chariot is out unless there are some cheap ones going.

Sorry if this has been done before!

hainman
    Free Member

rob this is what i use and the kids love it,think you can pick them up on ebay for bot 40 or 50 quid,

billysan
    Free Member

We've an Adventure At3 and are pretty happy with it. Our 2 year old is a tiny bit small but loves it. Really light to pull too.

DrP

We've just got a croozer trailer – nearly £400, but you really can tell the difference; padded harness, contoured bucket style seat, great build quality…
    Really rate it.

DrP

peath
    Free Member

Adventure AT3 +1 light to pull, 1 or 2 children and our 14 month old enjoys it!

carlphillips
    Free Member

halfrauds £60 jobby did for my two, it must've been kinda comfy as they always fell asleep in it.

rob2
    Free Member

Cheers folks. V helpful

DickBarton

We have a Burly Solo – when it is used it is superb…daughter seems to like sitting in it – we chuck some toys and books and stuff in there so she isn't completely bored…soon drops off.

She is heavier than she used to be and you can feel the weight now but the trailer itself doesn't seem to affect handling and agility much (although jumping water bars is a challenge (and best not tried with child in it!)).

I really like it but we are using it less and less lately due to clashing commitments and stuff…hoping to get it back into service in the next few months once our schedules settle a bit.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Burley trailers are good 🙂
    Adventure ones are pretty good too, and a little bit cheaper I think if money is an issue.

robob
    Free Member

we've just bought a croozer kid for 2 and we're really chuffed with it. it might be considered overkill for occasional trailer use but for the £400 it comes with a spinning buggy wheel and also a large wheel on extensions for use as a jogger and off road buggy.

it's very manouverable as a buggy, able to spin on its axis, and light. its good as a jogger, easy to steer with its weight pivoting easily on the back wheels, and good so fas as a trailer. we intend to use it full time as a double buggy with the baby sling we've also bought and with plenty of room for our (admittedly small) 3yr old. the boot is also huuuge!

its a bit wider (about 3") than a standard double buggy and you look a bit crazy down the co-op but if you can use it for more than just the trailer it starts to look reasonable value, especially when you consider only having to transport one bit of kid on hols etc. you can also trailer the kids to X, unhook the trailer and clip the buggy wheel in and push them the Y.

it's cheaper than the chariot but very well made, i think the difference is the lack of suspension, its also cheaper than the equivalent burley as it come with all the accesories.

hth

stoney
    Free Member

Burley Bee!

maxlite
    Free Member

Bought a £60 trailer from Lidl around 10yrs ago, its still going strong.

toys19
    Free Member

I've got a single seat croozer with all the accessories which I am about to sell email in profile.

Includes caster front wheel, large jogger front wheel, 3 tow hitches so you can prep different bikes, newborn seat, baby seat/padding and child seat.

DrP

toys19 – have e mailed you…

DrP

postierich
    Free Member

Got a burley solo its been fantastic,done Coed Brenin! Llangdegla very agile light even been abroad to Spain with us. Immy has now progressed to a tagalong so its up for sale.
    Bit of a pain to post looking @ £130 with two qr hitches so you can swop it with your partners bike!
    Its well used but will change the wheel bearings even though they are runn ing fine reflecters have gone do to various knocks!
    Lichfield area

Trailer action shot! by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Lush by Richard Munro, on Flickr

DSC00155 by Richard Munro, on Flickr

DSC00046 by Richard Munro, on Flickr

DSC00396 by Richard Munro, on Flickr

simonm
    Free Member

lol, thats got to be a bumpy ride at CYB with no suspension 😉 I mean the trailer ;-))

djglover
    Free Member

Got a double Croozer and its ace, they retain their value so if you buy second hand you can sell on for the same price or so

joemarshall
    Free Member

what does anyone think about 2 vs 1 seaters.

Were were planning to get a 2 seater but now I've seen the pics of the one seater up there on single track, I'm a bit unsure, especially given I imagine whatever we get will go off road quite a lot, both running and on the bike (our current pushchair went over quite a few trails this week, and I could do with something sturdier for running and biking).

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You can fit a 2 seater on most bits of trail at trail centres too. Mine had been round GT red, blue and easier freeride routes.

djglover
    Free Member

The Croozer 2 is a great jogger, get a 1 seater version, and sell it for a 2 when you need it.

midlifecrashes

We had a solid base model, Phillips Cleveland. It was very good, and I was much happier with the solid base, no chance of sticks and debris spearing through, and easier to attach the car seat of the travel system pram into. As a big double, we did have a bit of bother with these things though.

petrieboy

Gotta be a double – there's always a friend to ride shotgun

Rickos
    Free Member
    jp-t853

Hi

Just bought the non suspension version on Thursday. Arrived Friday. ridden with it today.

Very good quality. Could be more reflective.

Fits my wifes bike as she want to use it for going to nursery 4 times a week. Would need some bodging to fit my cowled drop outs however.

Trailer

DrP

For those on the lookout for a top quality 2 seater, check my classifieds out:
    Croozer for 2

Selling as in hindsight we should have just got the kid for 1, which I am now on the lookout for!
    Basically, can't fit the twin in the lockup at work, which for when the wife returns will be kinda important!

Dorset based for those interested…

DrP

rob2
    Free Member

We picked up one of those eBay jobbies in the end – cost and all that. Very impressed. Decent quality and the kids love it. Little pockets for books and stuff too.

It’s a tight squeeze for two, but really happy with it.

Means I can get a ride in too!

smurf
    Free Member

Here’s my experience….

I bought a Chariot Cougar 2 (second hand off here). I did it up (full strip and clean, replaced nuts and bolts, various other parts like the foam on the handlebars) but the width was a challenge in and around London – I wanted something that I could use to get to local parks, shops etc and then use it as a buggy when there. A double Cougar 2 is a pretty wide and a struggle through gates, shop doors, on pavements etc.

I ended up getting a v good deal on a new CX1 so sold on the Cougar (and another I’d also bought to get the accessories) and it’s been great. Like a really great pushchair, trailer, off road buggy etc. Big step in quality / features from an an older Cougar (but then it’s not cheap).

We’ve got another baby on the way but as they are 2.5 years apart I reckon the first will be scooting along or using a tag along around the time I’d want the second in a trailer – even with suspension they get jiggled about so I’d probably wait 9 – 12 months before using them in a trailer on anything other than smooth roads / pavement.

smurf

Spud

We’ve had a Burley D’Lite for 4 years now, got it off here and was more or less brand new, for a song. We’re used it all over from when our lad was 6 months. We bought the jogger wheel kit this summer to save taking a pushchair along and the trailer on hols. It’s been great and my wife runs with it. Mainly used now for our 2yo when she gets tired with her scooter bike. The D’Lite is wide for many gates etc too but very light so easy to pick up and carry over.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Mums and dads — what bike trailer?’ is closed to new replies.