Home Forums Bike Forum Mudhugger shorty vs mudhugger FR

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Mudhugger shorty vs mudhugger FR
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Any real world experiences of them both?

I love the FR but its getting crushed in the car making it bent and hard to straighten out

The bit that bends in the car is the bit the shorty version wouldnt have so id have no issues with that in the car

But does it work anywhere near as good as the FR version is bloody good at keepin shit out my contacts

Any help appreciated 🙂

gwurk
    Free Member

Be more careful putting it in the car?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Fit with Velcro straps and remove when in transit.

jedi

i use the shorty as i prefer the look and performance is only marginlly different. brilliant front guards ime

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I don’t have the FR but the shorty has been brilliant since I got it.

blitz

Got a shorty. Best mudguard I’ve had.

andy4d

Only ever had a shorty as I dislike the look of the FR and been very happy with it

pickle
    Free Member

Just cut the front part off and file down the sharp edges, you’ve then got a shorty

tone46
    Free Member
    oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheers guys, ref be more careful putting it in more carefully is impossible, one time i can get it in fine, the next it doesnt quite lift up enough, then the frame moves in the car and bam, its bent the whole front of it

Also dont want the hassle of taking it of every single time i get it in and out of the car, not pissing around doing that in the cold and wet in winter

Its worth the hassle of the fr if theres no alternative as its that good but if the shorty is good to then thats it for me i know ill not bend that in the car as its only the very front of the front of the FR that gets bent

May look into cutting it down tho ive got a mate who will probs want it as he doesnt have his in his boot

Will order a shorty thanks for the help 🙂

northerntom
    Free Member

if you prop up your bike in the car, it shouldn’t get crushed.

Mine has both wheels off and bars turned. I put my riding bag under the bars and stem and props it up enough not to crush the fr version

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive done all this before, sometimes the bike moves in the car (cos its loaded up with other shit too)

inevitably the bike moves on the journeys too and from and then the FR gets crushed, its totally random mind, sometimes it doesn’t move and sometimes it does, last night it moved to the point it took me 10 mins just to get the FR to not contact the wheel on rotation….first world problems I know, but cant be arsed with the hassle of it if theres a really good alternative 🙂

CheesybeanZ

Buy a van ….

rOcKeTdOg

FR is much more effective. As above velcro it on & its a 2 minute job to get it on & off

Or fit an SL, it’ll bend but regain its shape quickly

chakaping

Buy a van ….

Damn, beaten to it.

Have you seen the price of them mudguards. Van might be cheaper, eh?

mark90
    Free Member

Will order a shorty

Please come back and report on how effective it is compared to the FR. Not seen many direct comparisons, and I’m still undecided which to get.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

would love a van! not practical for 5 days of the week though for me 🙂

ordered a shorty so will see how it fairs, if its much worse then ive still got the FR, ill just have to live with it getting crushed from time to time…

in an ideal world it would be great if it would somehow clip on and off the front of it, then it would be perfect

will report back after its fitted and ridden for a comparison 🙂

joemmo
    Free Member

FR is much more effective. As above velcro it on & its a 2 minute job to get it on & off

this. using these

http://www.velcro.co.uk/products/best-sellers/100706__one-wrap-reusable-ties?shape=ties&size=12mm-x-20cm-x-15&color=black

using these on a shorty on some RS Yaris, works well.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

if the shorty doesn’t work out, ill give the Velcro a try, though really don’t want to be fiddling with filthy wet zipties on and off all through winter 😆

nickhit3
    Free Member

careful putting it in more carefully is impossible, one time i can get it in fine, the next it doesnt quite lift up enough, then the frame moves in the car and bam, its bent the whole front of it

impossible? I dont know what car you have- i just have a family hatchback- but I’ve never had an issue with the FR bending to the point where I’ve considered buying a different version. I tend to but the bike in rear first, laying flat, D/side up, and prop the fork off the boot floor with something. I always make sure the bike cant move before setting off. I’ve not tried the shorty but the FR coverage particularly at the front is great, can’t imagine the shorty would be an improvement given that its…shorter. Sounds like you might need to spend 10 minutes learning how to put your bike in properly. and just do it that way everytime..

iainc

How do these compare in use with the muckynutz fork mounted ones ?

SirHC

The folding fenders do very little when its properly wet/muddy. With the Powa/Rockguardz/Mudhuggers, they significantly reduce the amount of mud/water being flicked up off the front wheel getting to your face.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

impossible? I dont know what car you have- i just have a family hatchback- but I’ve never had an issue with the FR bending to the point where I’ve considered buying a different version. I tend to but the bike in rear first, laying flat, D/side up, and prop the fork off the boot floor with something. I always make sure the bike cant move before setting off. I’ve not tried the shorty but the FR coverage particularly at the front is great, can’t imagine the shorty would be an improvement given that its…shorter. Sounds like you might need to spend 10 minutes learning how to put your bike in properly. and just do it that way everytime..

not saying its impossible, saying its very mixed for me, though I do put mine in the opposite way to you, but I have loads of other things to chuck in too, ill try it the opposite way to see if I can get it more stable and off from the boot floor, but ive tried it every way possible before and it doesn’t seem to work for my car, my rear seats don’t fold completely flat for starters so straight away I’m working on a angle I have to compensate…will try again though, its worth a shot 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

They’re about £15 more is the only difference I can see.

chakaping

They’re about £15 more is the only difference I can see.

And they keep mud and water out of your face.

I have the Rockguardz one, I can do a muddy ride with no glasses or goggles on.

DezB
    Free Member

And they keep mud and water out of your face.

As I said, the only difference is £15.

gwurk
    Free Member

No mtb mudguard can keep ALL the mud and water off your face.
    As a general rule. the longer the mudguard and greater tyre coverage the more it’ll keep off. the downside of this is the uglier your bike will look.
    Still… better that than wearing an XC helmet with motocross goggles.

Whenever I see that look I think this:

but apparently Enduro is cool. So it’s ok.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

okkkkk……..well reporting back, ive cancelled the order (as another mate has a shorty and said its no where near as good as the FR for spray), I had another go at re-jigging the car around to get it fit, turns out the front parts my rear seats push up, thus then allowing the rear of the seats to lie completely flat against floor…put it in with the mech first facing up and then laid down with my kit bag and wheel bag under the frame….success!! its now solid in the car and the mudhugger completely clears boot floor with some space….

the problem was the boot not lying completely flat for me, its now a million times more sturdy and much easier to position than when it was on a sloping angle 🙂

so, apologies and thanks for the tips but may as well stay on the one that works so well 🙂

nickhit3
    Free Member

Great- that’s more or less how mine goes in by the sounds of it. Glad we saved you some money!! Now to work out what else to spend it on…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers nick – it was your post that made me try again, luckily the seats do fold flat afterall so all good now, it seems a hell of a lot more stable in the boot now too with the frame not being on a angle 🙂 thanks again

mark90
    Free Member

another mate has a shorty and said its no where near as good as the FR for spray

I think I’ll ask father christmas for a FR, assuming I can wait that long.

nickhit3
    Free Member

“I think I’ll ask father christmas for a FR, assuming I can wait that long”

You won’t be disappointed- they are great.

gwurk
    Free Member

cheers nick – it was your post that made me try again

Was mine too straight to the point?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

gwurk – Member 

cheers nick – it was your post that made me try again

Was mine too straight to the point?

possibly, or it could have been that it was said in the typical condescending STW fashion?! of course, if not then yes, a bit more info might have helped on how you get yours in, but point taken 🙂

joemmo
    Free Member

Are you shreddy for gnar? Are ready to watch my upper limbs fit AND remove a mudhugger shorty in UNDER 57 SECONDS using only average dexterity and the power of Velcro? Are you?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ovnhtk9yV8REgOuS2

You’re most welcome.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

impressive, must say that’s pretty darned good, if I struggle again or bend it again ill purchase some of them, not much of a hassle looking at that 🙂

do you know if those Velcro straps fit through the FR version just the same? as your is the shorty, temtped to buy some just incase if bends again 🙂

Gotama
    Free Member

joeemm – your skillz just cost me £6.49 on amazon. I seem to take my guard off with irritating regularity so the straps seem a decent option.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

linkzzzz please gotama seems loads of variations 🙂

Gotama
    Free Member

These are the ones joemmo linked to earlier in the thread..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00APYIL5W/?tag=velcrouk-21

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

IME the velcro ends up full of mud. I prefer re-useable cable ties personally.

That said, I found all those front guards to be wanting on a 29×2.35 front tyre when you’re up to moob flapping speeds.

I settled on a normal enduro guard that didn’t cause trouble or hassle lying in the car, and a down tube mounted THE race guard.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Mudhugger shorty vs mudhugger FR’ is closed to new replies.