Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Mud tyres that are less draggy than Swampthings?
  • BoardinBob

Bontrager Mud-X? Spesh Storm Control? Anything else?

Swampys are great in the mud but they’re a real struggle elsewhere.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Bonty Mud X, gets my vote.

tang
    Free Member

mud x +1

chakaping
    Free Member

Medusas are good too. Roll pretty well.

D0NK

had some spesh storm, very light, decent grip but paper thin walls, now on mudx

rewski
    Free Member

my tubeless mud x’s failed, got air bubbles between tread and lining, like blisters.

craig1975
    Free Member

i never have a problem with the swampys, run them on my HT all year round, but in saying that, its only ever dry about 10% of the time where we ride locally.. only time i every notice them dragging is on tar mac, ill live with that….

bob your just unfit, keep pdalling them cranks with the swampys on, the dragging effect will soon go away LOL

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I like maxxis medusa’s.

brassneck

Mud X arte the best all rounders I’ve found – if I had to keep one set on all year it’d be them. I try and avoid the real clagfest trails in winter as it’s bad for them, so the Mud X is the best option I reckon.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Bob are your Swampy’s not supertacky? It’s quite a marked difference when compared to the normal maxxpro compound.

TheSlider
    Free Member

I was told Kenda small block 8’s are brilliant rollers and good for 3 seasons at least. Don’t know yet if it’s true (saving up) but it WAS a bike shop and they get to try ALL their tyres. Perhaps owners will confirm ?

z1ppy

Mud-X are my choice but Spesh Storm Control look good too, given up on trailrakers (which are possibly the best mud tyre).
    As TR’s just drag too much & the only time they work better than everyones tyres, everyone else ends up walking anyways… so you still have to wait (or get a chance to catch up from the previous road section).

craig1975
    Free Member

Bob are your Swampy’s not supertacky? It’s quite a marked difference when compared to the normal maxxpro compound.

good point WackoAK, i use the 60a compound

RoterStern
    Free Member

Another vote for the Medusas. They may not bite as much as the Swampthings but then they are better over rocks and roots and they roll pretty well IMO.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was told Kenda small block 8’s are brilliant rollers and good for 3 seasons at least.

Yes they roll very fast and grip more than you’d expect in some wet conditions, but I wouldn’t call them a three season tyre.

If your LBS sells Kenda, ask what they think of these…
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=CKEN000500

I’ve got them on at the moment and am very impressed. Not found a weak point yet (but not ridden them anywhere too pointy).

BoardinBob

60a compound at the moment.

Alexander, I’m just trying to blame my poor performance last night on everything apart from me…tyres, dragging brakes, humidity…jobbies

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Mud tyres that are less draggy than Swampthings?’ is closed to new replies.