Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 187 total)
  • Mountain Bikers on Road Club Rides
  • DavidB
    Free Member

Please don’t turn up wearing a Camelback, sit at the back for 100 miles apart from attacking like a maniac on each hill and thinking we love your awesome climbing ability….oh and if you want to know why we dropped you on the last few miles we’d be happy to explain it to you AFTER YOU’VE DONE JUST ONE SIMPLE MILE ON THE FRONT.

sc-xc

your club sounds ace.

winstonsmith

here’s an idea: why not tell the mtber, rather than us? it might have more impact

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

roadies are such charming folk

(so they keep telling me)

backhander
    Free Member

Go away.

BTW, Why can’t they wear camelbaks?

boxelder

How odd.
    Wasn’t he at the front, on the hills?

joe1983
    Free Member

yeah, what’s up with a Camelbak?

Jase
    Free Member

You better hope he doesn’t turn up again, if he can hang on for 100 miles on his 1st ride he’ll be kicking your butt after a few rides 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

what’s the camelback got to do with it? yes a bottle is better on the road but using one or turning up with a flat bar road bike with flat pedals doesn’t necessarily mean you aren’t going to do your bit at the front.

lunge

Or to translate:

Went for a ride with a road club today, no one seemed that friendly so i just sat at the back and kept my self to my self. I don’t own any roadie gear so i had my baggies and camelback on, but I was only there to ride bikes after all not on a fashion parade. Tried to offer a tow to some people on the hills but they kept overtaking me so I sat at the back for the rest of the ride.

Don’t think i’ll be going back.

DavidB
    Free Member

Drafting for 100 miles is easy, he will never kick butt.
    I’m sorry but you just don’t wear a Camelback on a road bike, in the same way that you don’t wear a peaked helmet or stop every 30 seconds to take a photo.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’m sorry but you just don’t wear a Camelback on a road bike

because you are a fashion victim 🙁

or stop every 30 seconds to take a photo

nothing to see

mookiebaylock
    Free Member

I know that i’d need more than two bottles over the course of 100 miles during a warm day….camelback seems a sensible choice!

sc-xc

what other rules do I need to bear in mund when riding my bike David? I often have fun, is that OK with you and your humourless gang?

DavidB
    Free Member

lunge..babelfish never works that well does it

We spoke with him loads, nice and friendly at the cafe. So why oh why did he feel the need to prove something on the hills? It really pisses you off when you’ve done 30 odd miles on the front without a break and instead of offering to help he decides to expend all his energy attempting to show total mastery of the hills. We even spoke to him about it, calmly suggesting that it might be worth doing a turn, his response was that he couldn’t go on the front as he didn’t know the way, which seems odd as the rest of us listened to the guy with the GPS and went left/right/straight on when told.

Wookster

wow sounds friendly!! re-affirms my non road bike/anti club feelings!! Dont really know what it is about the fashion police TBH I’ll ride with any one on any bike in any kit (wouold think they were daft if they dont wear a lid but still! Their head eh!) but rodies apart fom not saying hello and neevr under any circumstances using a cycle land even when only moving at the speed of a injuryed snail in full team kit cant all be bad eh…

But then I’m sure your just having a sunday night Troll eh!?!

MicArms

David, why are you selling your house? Is it not as damp and miserable as the bridge you currently have your eye on?

Jimmer
    Free Member

Oh dear, a roadie tool has come along to give them a bad name….

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Can’t we add this to the ‘Reasons to be cheerful’ thread as i am peeing myself reading this!!!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

When I ride my mountain bike, I’m glad of company, but I don’t rightly care what other people wear, carry or do.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

are all roadie clubs like this?

Aidy
    Free Member

Wow, now I remember why I don’t do roadie stuff

2hottie
    Free Member

Your road biking club sounds SH*T!!!!, Im glad I ride mountain bikes..

DavidB
    Free Member

sc-xc – you have to point out holes in the road, use brakes sparingly, stop and help for punctures, carry enough food for the ride and money for the cafe. Quite simple really, not a lot to it.

househusband

LOL @ MicArms – a good, observed, balanced perspective!

druidh
    Free Member

Wookster – Member

wow sounds friendly!! re-affirms my non road bike/anti club feelings!! Dont really know what it is about the fashion police TBH I’ll ride with any one on any bike in any kit (wouold think they were daft if they dont wear a lid but still! Their head eh!) but rodies apart fom not saying hello and neevr under any circumstances using a cycle land even when only moving at the speed of a injuryed snail in full team kit cant all be bad eh…

In English?

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh anyone thats spent anytime with a roadie club would feel the same way …. there is absolutely no one less welcome in a roadie group than a wheelsucker …. except a wheel sucker who attacks on hills … just makes you look like a retard !

not sure about the camelback issue …

but the peak issue is because you will strain your neck if you spend any time one the drops !

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh anyone thats spent anytime with a roadie club would feel the same way …. there is absolutely no one less welcome in a roadie group than a wheelsucker …. except a wheel sucker who attacks on hills … just makes you look like a retard !

not sure about the camelback issue …

but the peak issue is because you will strain your neck if you spend any time one the drops !

Wookster

😯 oh my god I agree with SFB……….

DavidB
    Free Member

The Camelback thing was the joke/irony/fail bit of the post…but ..it’s STW isn’t it

trail_rat, my peak put me in hospital, fell off and jammed front wheel.

mookiebaylock
    Free Member

Road bike riders are to be regarded with the utmost contempt. They are without exception boring, miserable, unskilled and missing the point. Forum users are instructed to shield their eyes from road riders by using the five large flaps of skin hanging from their waist. Forum users with lightweight Ti-hardtails are instructed to use their fifth chin if the waist section cannot be reached.

extract from davidB website…. mtb forum guidelines …how ironic

DavidB
    Free Member

What does my house have to do with this?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

DavidB, I really liked your piece titled ‘MTB Forum Guidelines’. Made me smile.

Anyhow, attacking the hills etc, meh! don’t worry about it. Although it is a bit rude not to take a spell at the front.

twinklydave

his response was that he couldn’t go on the front as he didn’t know the way, which seems odd as the rest of us listened to the guy with the GPS and went left/right/straight on when told.

did he mean that or did he mean he didn’t know all the subtle hand gestures that confused the hell out of me on the first few group road rides I did?
    Going on the front and neglecting to warn people of a ruddy great pot hole is worse than just sitting at the back – though maybe he shoud have been honest about it!

Maybe he didn’t think he was very good on the climbs – lots of magazines and websites suggest going off the front at the start of climbs if you’re not a good climber.

Try and get over the camelback. If he’d turned up without enough drink and had blown up he’d have been a tit. If he’d turned up equipped for a 3 week tour of the arctic he’d have been a bit of a tit. The fact that he decided to carry his drink on his back isn’t really any of your business
    EDIT: aah, you were joking. sorry.

DavidB
    Free Member

Oh the irony mookiebaylock!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

sounds like a mtber turned up, dropped you all on the hills and you don’t want him back as you can’t face the challenge to me

Wookster

Sorry druidh in brain dump mode (three week old son!)

I just ride my bike for a laugh, ride with some more able serious guys and some less serious! This just seems really Cliquey and closed door to me new chap you always cut them some slack first time out eh!?!

But the whole road thing seems so uptight and anal. I just cant see the fun really,

I live in a village one road in and out, it does however have a cycle lane which every one bar full team kit wearing rodies seem to be able to use and it does my nutt when I am going to work or home! when the cycle lane is ther to be used by bikes goes the same way as the road therfore has no disadvantage bar admitting that you cant maintain 30 mph up hill…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

oh my god I agree with SFB…

don’t worry, I’ll soon post something you can disagree with and normality will be restored :o)

my peak put me in hospital, fell off and jammed front wheel

if I didn’t do all the things that caused me injury I’d have to stay at home, possibly in bed…

druidh
    Free Member

Wookster – Member

Sorry druidh in brain dump mode (three week old son!)

LOL – and you’re awake enough to post here??

FWIW – I thought Davids OP was quite funny (as is his MTB Forum Guidelines). But then I do both road and off-road cycling, so what would I know.

0091paddy
    Free Member

haha, this thread is full of crap!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 187 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Bikers on Road Club Rides’ is closed to new replies.