• This topic has 57 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by gazc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Most expensive bike bit for what it is
  • theotherjonv

I know XTR mechs are expensive but there's a lot of engineering in there. Forks are complex and deserve to cost several hundred quid.

But a pair of cheap brass castings and 4 poxy screws, for £16.99! Why are cleats so damn expensive?

£5 for a **** inner tube at my LBS.

tang
    Free Member

wiggle were doing 1/2(what use is 1/2?) a powerlink for £1.99, i bought one by mistake. lbs 99p for a whole one.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Avid Matchmakers – £25. Nothing more than bar cleaning up fippery. Money well spent mind you!

tootin

yumeya, not there for anything whatsoever

*EDIT: Except to make the rider look like a cock

firestarter
    Free Member

dt rws 50 quid for something that breaks very easily

backhander
    Free Member

I think saddles are expensive for what they are. Except charge spoons, which are quite fair. From an engineering and manufacturing POV, whats the difference between a Charge spoon and a Fizik Gobi?

fontmoss
    Free Member

whats the difference between a Charge spoon and a Fizik Gobi?

one fits my arse the other rapes it

backhander
    Free Member

…Ok…thanks for that….

From an engineering and manufacturing POV

Out of interest which one rapes your arse?

fontmoss
    Free Member

the charge, from an engineered and manufactured wrongly point of view

ton

any type of gravity dropper post or other make……..a lot of money just for convienience

grievoustim
    Free Member

the otherjonv

I bough some shimano m520 pedals from crc for 18 quid or so the other day – cos I needed some cleats

now I have spare pedals and the cleats I needed

replacement jockey wheels are stupid expensive

mboy
    Free Member

Spokes, specifically DT Comp, but I suppose any spoke is a rip off these days.

I thought at 30p each 10 years ago they were expensive, especially as the trade price was a fraction of that. Now they're about 4 times that price! Can they cost significantly more to make now than they did 10 years ago, or is someone, somewhere, having a laugh and using the pricing model of "seeing what the market can take"?

sherry
    Free Member

I wouldn't say forks are deserving a several hundred quid price tag! Bikes in general are over priced and most things that go with them. There is far more engineering, material and labour on a motorbike and some cost the same as a good full sus MTB. The mark up on most bikes and parts is unbelievable compared R&D, production costs etc.

RealMan
    Free Member

xtr chainsets?

ust nobby nics?

goodridge brake cables?

shaggy

headset spacers would get my vote.

uplink
    Free Member

Lights [with one or two exceptions]

glenh
    Free Member

Frame patches to stop cable rub. £6 for 6!!

alwyn
    Free Member

Seat posts! £100 + for a metal or carbon tube.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Brake bleed kits and Shimano mineral oil.

Offroading
    Free Member

DT Swiss Aerolite White spokes.

£5

EACH

69er
    Free Member

Jockey wheels. Cured of that now though 😉

mooman
    Free Member

Mech hangers. £25 for a 2" piece of cheap non-aged alloy 😡

petesam
    Free Member

I dare say i may have a winner here. "Speen Umlenker" – to run a road front mech on a cross bike that only has cable routing from the top: £20 for what is essentially a small bit of metal with two holes in it…oh dear. Nevertheless i bought one!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Spokes are quite cheap here…
    http://www.cyclebasket.com/brands/aci.php

yes, there ACI and not DT or whatever, but i'd bet no-one can tell once built up. i've used them for the last 5 years or so.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Pretty much anything thats a bit pimp for a bike is over priced. the list is endless.

Friggin frames are a rip off. £1000 for 4x nicolai, where the hells does that price come from. The dam thing is aluminium its teh price of a Ti.

Ti frames are another one. I don't care if they hard to weld there is not £1000's of work on a frame.

That said just spent £3200 of a 303 so its not like I wont still pay it. I'm a fool.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

It has to be these

£11 for a single bolt! I mean… come on. Ti bolts are bad enough at around £4 each.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

tang – Member

wiggle were doing 1/2(what use is 1/2?) a powerlink for £1.99, i bought one by mistake. lbs 99p for a whole one.

I made that very same mistake!

NikNak7890
    Free Member

glenh – Member

Frame patches to stop cable rub. £6 for 6!!

A roll of Duck tape is 1/2 that price! 😉

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

A roll of Duck tape is 1/2 that price!

Priceless comment 🙂

Garry_Lager

I know XTR mechs are expensive but there's a lot of engineering in there. Forks are complex and deserve to cost several hundred quid.

Sorry mate, forks are complex? The lefty on my XC bike might fall into this category, but I've always been staggered at the simplicity of most forks. They're like something out of a GCSE design project – two tubes, a spring and a primitive damping circuit. I'd say the design that goes into making the tubes strong / light is more impressive.

I just bought 3 mL (Three!) of loctite from Halfords today for £2.99. Given that it's probably manufactured by the terralitre, that strikes me as an expensive product – or at least one with an almighty mark-up.

GrahamA
    Free Member

How about this Trion:Z Dual Loop Bracelet

Not bike specific but it is £17.99 of snake oil

juiced
    Free Member

Mech hangers.Although tbh I'd prefer a higher price and easy ability to purchase than cheaper and no ability. ( thinking in terms of older frames)

Englishmastiff
    Free Member

Dirtynap, I can relieve you of that feeling by taking your 303 for free, you will feel all warm and fuzzy knowing you have helped a fellow biker. Send your address and i will pick it up tomorrow. I won't even charge you petrol costs to get there. there you go, problem solved!! Lucky Bast**d!!!!

theotherjonv

complex – compared to a pedal cleat it is!

Dirtynap
    Free Member

@englishmastiff
    LOL

One the its expensive and pointless. Alloy tyre levers, who needs um and why are they £9.99

samuri
    Free Member

My pet hate here. Bar mounts. You've spent 250 quid on a light or a GPS and have the idea of putting a mount on more than one bike. The only people who are going to going to get the money for this are the manufacturers because obviously the fit is vendor specific so you tootle off to chainreaction thinking 4 maybe 5 pounds for a piece of moulded plastic or bent metal with a screw in it because it for sure costs less than 7p to make and then you rub your eyes as the item scrolls up your screen with a 15 or 20 pound price tag on it.

But where else are you going to go?

grumm
    Free Member

Mech hangers

STI shifters seem ludicrously expensive to me as well.

justme
    Free Member

brake pads at £20ish a set ford focus £25 per axle(2sets)why are manufacturers pads so dear (but disco and superstar are about £6 and are imo as good in terms of wear and performance)) and does anyone buy them
    !sits back and waits for torent of abuse as to why SS etc are shite! g

lyons
    Free Member

i think the conclusion is, cycling is a bloody rip off!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Most expensive bike bit for what it is’ is closed to new replies.