Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Morals content – tax fiddling
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

I think some of my taxes should go to organise you a parade

TJ’s the Queen now?

Stoner
    Free Member

no but when he croaks he wont get a state funeral just like Maggie 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A queen not the Queen 🙄

Ewan
    Free Member

You were paid a salary weren’t you…..

thegreatape
    Free Member

Slight hijack, sorry OP, but what about this…

Chap from the council came around the other day to look at our damp walls. He told us how there is a pot of cash waiting to be given out as grants to help homeowners get roofs/damp/other stuff fixed. Not the full whack, but a proportion. He told us how they work it all out, then said if you’ve got any savings, spend them or lend them to someone for a little while, otherwise you’ll have to use that first. His suggestion. Right or wrong?

stumpyjon

And then as an individual for tax purposes?

Nope, the point I was making was that she wasn’t eligible for any other benefit because of my income, they looked at us jointly when assessing her benefit entitlement but individual from a tax stand point.

If you got your wish and all benefits were means tested on household income then might you not be worse off?

Quite probably, but I’m not complaining about that, I do think all beenfits should be means tested, universal benefits in our society don’t make a lot of sense to me (when child benefit was introduced there was some reason behind it being universal). All I want is the tax system to consistent.

What you mean is that you’re happy for the service to get worse, as long as you don’t have to use it?

Not really, those are your words, I look at it from the point of view that I don’t believe it will get better in it’s present form and I’m ending up paying for private treatment anyway, private dentristry, private eye care, had to go private after the NHS repeatedly insisted there was nothing wrong with my wife’s eye (the private consultant actually took her seriously as did the private opticians, turns out she had a grass seed husk embedded in the front of her eye, apparent rather serious and very lucky not to have had permenant damage).

The fantastic NHS that gave my son a hospital acquired infection that damaged one of his kidneys, the NHS team who spent time auditing the cleaners and who were more worried about dust on a shelf 7 feet off the floor than the fact that they hadn’t trained the cleaner who cleaned the hospital cot, she worked very hard but only cleaned about half the cot, the NHS that seems incapable of keeping to it’s own appointment schedule, the NHS that thinks it’s fair game to charge people to park at an out of town hospital which isn’t accessible by public transport.

I’m not happy for the service to get worse, I’d much rather have a fully functionning NHS which provides good care for everybody, however I have lost faith that either the politicians or many (not all) NHS staff have the will and ability to turn it around.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I can see how your stories might prejudice your view of the NHS, but I can’t see that it would be improved with significantly worse funding. Can you? Sure there’s often better treatment available privately and if you can afford that then I genuinely fail to understand what the problem is for you.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Morals content – tax fiddling’ is closed to new replies.