Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • MobileMe to iCloud – anyone done it? iDisk question
  • yoshimi

In Mobile Me I used to have iDisk which I used for storing my Uni stuff, word files, excel, pdf’s etc

Am I missing something or does iCloud do away with this? Appears to now offer basically always up-to-date iWorks documents rather than a dropbox type thing?

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

As far as I can make out, depending on when your Annual contract runs from/to, you’ll either miss out on a few month’s worth of MobileMe before migrating to the iCloud, or it will be extended free of charge.

I’m one of the lucky ones and have got an extra 6 months or so free.

As a result of this shambolic change I’m seriously considering being a ‘paying’ Apple customer in 2012; I like my .mac email address, but the only Apple product I use is a MacBook. I have no interest in iPhones or iTunes outside my notebook!

I loved iDisk, my own bit of webspace for hosting files. I use it a lot for sending clients files using shortened links, or hosting images to be used on forums and my own site.

If nothing has changed recently then iDisk will become obsolete, and I’m going to have to look at other ways to host stuff online. Even if I go for the largest Dropbox it will still be cheaper than my current MobileMe subscription.

Oh Apple, why have you forsaken your old customer base in favour of newer migrators and newbie iTunes users? It’s not all about the music, you know.

yoshimi

Lee – I’m a lucky one too as my MM sub doesn’t run out until June next year – I hope they offer some kind of iDisk substitute, I’d happily pay for this – it’s nice to have all the bits together tho in MobileMe – to me iCloud is a step back from MobileMe, they should have added to it rather than take stuff away and made it free……

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I totally agree. All I can think is that not many users are taking full advantage of it, hence migrating to a more media-centric service like iCloud.

But if users like you and I are happily making use of iDisk why not keep it active, but not open to new subscribers?

I’m gradually using Google services more and more (I have a HTC phone) which is free and pretty reliable. I might even go the whole hog and move to Unix!

Drac

I signed up to http://www.box.net/ today after seeing link on here, using an iPhone and their app you get 50GB for life.

yoshimi

Lee – reckon they should offer 2 srevices, the new ‘media centric’ one and a premium version with the addition of iDisk and Gallery – I’d happy pay a small fee for that.

Drac – good call, I think this will be the way forward. Just a shame I’ll no longer be able to access everything in one place.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘MobileMe to iCloud – anyone done it? iDisk question’ is closed to new replies.