• This topic has 108 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by bruk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • Missing on the West Highland Way: Davey the dog
  • Dair
    Free Member

Dog Lost advert

Hi guys

My friends have been walking the West Highland Way. At around 10.00am on Sunday morning they were walking from Kinlochleven to Fort William when their border terrier, Davey ran off. He is still missing.

If anyone is out and about in the area, please look out for him.

If anyone knows anyone in the area, please let them know.

Many thanks
    Dair

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Heatbraking Chap…

Ive put it out on twitter for ya…

Dair
    Free Member

Thanks, Teetosugars.

What’s your Twitter name and I’ll RT.

@Inverdair

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

How on earth did he get away?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Shouldn’t it have been on a lead?

bullheart
    Free Member

Up on my Facebook. HTH

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Shouldn’t it have been on a lead?

No, but under proper control

enduro-aid
    Free Member

nevis range put somthing up on facebook about a lost border terrier on sunday

i take it this is the same dog?

GlenMore
    Free Member

Shouldn’t it have been on a lead or under proper control?

Dair
    Free Member

Shouldn’t it have been on a lead or under proper control?

Come on, guys. That really is not helpful. For what it’s worth, he is well behaved and well trained and had walked for seven days without incident. For some reason (unknown to his DISTRAUGHT owners) he darted off and got himself lost. That could have happened outside his own home. It just so happens it happened on the WHW, which has caused a problem.

Thanks to those who have posted on FB and otherwise expressed support.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Had they backed it up?

davidrussell
    Free Member

would you make such jokes about a missing child?

bigyinn
    Free Member

No, as my child would have been on a lead.

backhander
    Free Member

I can only imagine how they feel. I hope they find him soon.

GlenMore
    Free Member

Dair – Member
    > Shouldn’t it have been on a lead or under proper control?
    Come on, guys. That really is not helpful. For what it’s worth, he is well behaved and well trained and had walked for seven days without incident. For some reason (unknown to his DISTRAUGHT owners) he darted off and got himself lost. That could have happened outside his own home. It just so happens it happened on the WHW, which has caused a problem.

While it may not be helpful to the currently anguished owners, it may be helpful to anyone else going out-and-about with their dog. This incident merely helps to illustrate that previous behaviour isn’t helpful when considering what “under control” means with a dog.

GlenMore
    Free Member

davidrussell – Member

Lots of Maddy McCann jokes have already appeared on STW.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No, but… that would be a child. Would you make similar comparisons about a canoe?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

davidrussell – Member
    Lots of Maddy McCann jokes have already appeared on STW.

true, and no one yet has called the owners neglectful or accused them of disposing of the dogs themselves, or found their behaviour beyond comprehension.

davidrussell
    Free Member

No, but… that would be a child. Would you make similar comparisons about a canoe?

you appear to suggest a dog is just a possession to be lost like any other lifestyle accessory. An inanimate object and a living creature are entirely different so its hardly a comparison.

The OP said the owners were distraught and i can understand why they would be.

Kunstler

Try posting up on walkhighlands.co.uk as well. A lot of people use that site.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Dair – Member
    Thanks, Teetosugars.

What’s your Twitter name and I’ll RT.

@Teetosugars

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

An inanimate object dog and a living creatureperson are entirely different so its hardly a comparison.

I hadn’t realised you had such compassion for living creatures.

davidrussell
    Free Member

OP – hope the owners find him safe and well.

gazc
    Free Member

hope he turns up safe 🙂

Dair
    Free Member

“This incident merely helps to illustrate that previous behaviour isn’t helpful when considering what “under control” means with a dog.”

Can’t argue with that! Although I won’t mention it to my friends just yet…

Thanks to everyone for their helpful tips.

(CharlieMungus – bleak. Sounds like you need a little bit of love in your life, and a lot less bitterness.)

Dair
    Free Member

Teetosugars – I think your profile is private. Could you accept my follow request?

Cheers

Waderider
    Free Member

I feel sorry for the owners, and hope they find their dog.

The implication that dog equals child above is laughable though.

anagallis_arvensis

very sad, first thought is it wouldnt have got lost, dogs are pretty smart at finding their way. Most likely gone down a hole and got stuck. Dogs can often spend long periods to earth before coming out again. I would suggest they leave a coat of the owners or something similar in a quiet spot near to where they last saw him and keep fingers crossed whilst checking the lost dog pages.

The implication that dog equals child above is laughable though

Its not if you have a dog but dont have children, it only becomes laughable when you actually do have children if that makes sense.

Dair
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – good tip about the coat. I’ll recommend that.

Cheers!

snowpaul
    Free Member

As a dog owner I really feel for your friends – to the negative posters – just dont post – it just isnt helpful – and yes to some people a dog IS their child

I honestly like my dogs a lot better than some of my friends…. even some of my relatives !!

Hope they find him

paul

anagallis_arvensis

needs checking early in the morning

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – bleak. Sounds like you need a little bit of love in your life, and a lot less bitterness

Bitterness? I’m not bitter, just indifferent about a lost dog. I’ve also plenty of love in my life, but thanks for the offer.

donsimon
    Free Member

While it may not be helpful to the currently anguished owners, it may be helpful to anyone else going out-and-about with their dog. This incident merely helps to illustrate that previous behaviour isn’t helpful when considering what “under control” means with a dog.

You think that being insensitive and negative is being helpful? Thanks for your advice, I shall be taking the dog out later and letting her off the lead.
    Hope the dog turns up safe and sound.
    Next time perhaps the owners could fit one of these. HTH. 😉

davski
    Free Member

hope the dog turns up safe and well..
    id hate to loose one of mine..
    are dogs not allowed off the lead or something..? whos saying it wasnt on the lead and slipped its collar or ran off with the lead still fastened to it…

Dolcered

I hope the wee fella turns up.
    Its hard to explain to others the connection you feel with your animals.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Davski – dogs are allowed to be off the lead but must be under control at all times. Glenmores point simply is that a dog that runs off is not under control thus shuld have been on a lead.

I hope its found tho

anagallis_arvensis

dogs are allowed to be off the lead but must be under control at all times

👿 cant be bothered 😆

your wrong though 😉

Woody
    Free Member

I really hope your friends dogs turns up safe and well. Plenty people will be looking with such a sizeable reward.

Unfortunately this thread has shown just how many complete @rseh@les are now on here……….take no notice Dair.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

AA – nope – in Scotland where the WHW is it is very clear – dogs under control at all times but don’t have to be on a lead. No doubt at all. Where there are livestock dogs have to be under close control

http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/C233791.pdf

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/help-and-information/marketing-and-resources/dog-campaign-resources/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Missing on the West Highland Way: Davey the dog’ is closed to new replies.