• This topic has 46 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by alexh.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Minion SS vs Rock Razor
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

Looking for a summer pairing with a DHR 2 up front

Much difference between these two?

Or any other aggressive but good rolling rear?

creagbhan

I’m using a Slaughter grid on the rear. Seems good so far.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Can’t see them having much difference.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Trimix
    Free Member

Check the rubber compound and make sure it to your liking, if the tread pattern is similar then the only variable is rubber.

chiefgrooveguru

The Rock Razor is the size of the Magic Mary whilst the Minion SS is the size of the other 2.3 Minions. They measure about 0.15″ different, not the 0.05″ the official sizing says.

stevied
    Free Member

I couldn’t wait for the 26″ SS to come out so went for an Ardent Race in the interim.
    Wowzers that’s a fast tyre..but seems to have a decent amount of grip on the edges. Running it on the mixed surfaces that are the Malverns (rocks, hardpack and rooty/loamy if you know where to look).
    I’d be keen to try an SS but very impressed with the AR

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Yes was looking at the ardent race as well. Got a Magic Mary Front and DHR2 back at the moment which has been amazing over the winter

Want something a little faster rolling for the summer so was thinking DHR2 front and either Minion SS / Rock Razor or Arent Race out back

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Or could stick with the Mary up front but it is quire draggy and i thought the DHR2 on the front would offer similar grip but with less drag

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Currently running Baron Projekt front and Slaughter rear great combo especially after some dry weather. If I could I would be running DHF front Minion SS rear.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I had the Rock Razor on my FS 26er and it was great but massive, way too big for the frame so I had to put my Larson back on. I really missed the big cornering knobs and was searching for ages for a replacement that would actually fit my frame. I settled on a Specialized Slaughter, it’s still a reasonable size but small enough to fit my frame with no issues. Just as good as the Rock Razor at rolling and cornering. This is paired with a Magic Mary up front, the Mary is plenty grippy enough but the knobs are starting to tear off way before they wear out.

When it came to replacing the tyres on the 29er I went for a Minion DHF and Minion SS, they are a great combo with the SS just as good as the Slaughter/Rock Razor. It’s hard to tell because of the wheel size difference but I think the Minions are in between the Slaughter and Rock Razor in size.

Dyffers
    Free Member

Also interested in the 2.3 Minion SS as a rear. Is anybody running it on a wide rim?

I’d be putting it on a 30mm internal-width rim, and looking at the pictures of the tread I’m wondering whether that’ll bring the sideknobs into contact with the ground all the time?

chakaping
    Free Member

Check the rubber compound and make sure it to your liking, if the tread pattern is similar then the only variable is rubber.

There’s also the volume (as mentioned above) and the casing that will differ.

I’ve somehow ended up with both a supergravity and snakeskin rock razor ready to try, but I just can’t bring myself to jinx the weather yet.

chrismac

Another vote for the Slaughter here. Used them all summer last year Grid on the big bike and control spec on the trail bike.

markshires
    Free Member

My Minion SS has just arrived this morning, although like chapaking I don’t want to jinx the weather either so will be waiting a bit to put it on. Probably until the sealant needs changing and then I will swap. I will be running it with a DHF upfront.

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

Don’t worry too much about the conditions with the Rock Razor; it’s stunningly capable. I wouldn’t suggest running it in full on mud conditions but for mixed use it really is very good. With the right pressures it’ll clamber up most stuff and the rolling speed is a massive boost.

It does take some getting used to if you are coming from a grippier tyre on the rear, but once you realise you can let it slide before it grips (and it will grip) it is great.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve got the 2.3 Minion SS on a Flow EX, which is 25.5mm internal with not much rim sidewall height. It’s pretty square like that but I think you’d be fine with a 30mm rim. Much wider and you’ll probably end up on the side knobs until they wear a bit! Still running the DHR2 rear wheel at the moment but tempted to try the SS tomorrow, before we get another bout of rain…

I’ll be running it with a DHR2 up front (currently still on the Shorty – which I certainly needed on last Sunday’s enduro race!)

I_Ache
    Free Member

I am not one for changing my tyres around dependent on weather so over the past 5 years or so I have been running a Larson all year round. And now the Rock Razor/Slaughter/Minion SS and until you get into properly deep sloppy mud they are great. With all the man made trails these days I find there is very little need to use a full on nobbly rear tyre even in the depths of winter. Riding around my local woods it’s a bit different because that gets so much foot fall that it never really dries out.

chiefgrooveguru

Riding around my local woods it’s a bit different because that gets so much foot fall that it never really dries out.

That’ll be what I do then! 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I would say the Minion or the Slaughter.

Like all other Schwalbe’s I’ve experienced, their lifespan can be measured in minutes.

3 days & about 200km of riding rendered the RR fit for the bin. Same with the Magic Mary.

They are literally so crap, it’s comical.

Simon

Maxxis website lists a 26″ Minion SS but are they actually available to buy?

Northwind

Rockrazor definitely wears far faster than a slaughter, can’t comment on the minion. I suppose, these tyres are a bit different in how they wear just because they’re more likely to get slid around.

Was a wee bit disappointed by the pedalling grip of the slaughter tbh, I thought all that contact patch would add up to good grip on rocks, like a smallblock but it’s pretty slidey. Might try a Minion next though obviously they’re very close relatives.

They’re good fun, though, these tyres. WIth me they’re definitely slower except on pure pedals, just because of the loss of braking grip and they can be pretty damn unsettling when you go from straight to leaning- no grip, no grip, GRIP! Harder to manage a slide than on more consistent tyres. But still.

Dyffers
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru => Thanks for the reply.

Debating the Minion SS a bit more over lunch. Where does the STW hive mind think this sits in terms of grip & rolling resistance compared with the Ardent 2.4 (29er) I have on the rear at the moment?

raisinhat
    Free Member

Don’t know about the minion SS, but I went from a 26″ 2.4 ardent exo, to a supergravity rock razor, and the RR felt waaaaaay slower and draggier. I suspect this was mostly because it was at least a lb heavier, but it wasn’t exactly a speedy tyre. It had maybe a fraction less braking grip, but it made up for it by far in the corners. I found that the ardent was fast but wouldn’t grip at all once leant over.

The only thing that concerns me a little about the minion SS is that is seems pretty light, especially when compared to a supergravity or grid casing. I’m sure it’ll probably be fine though, since I had an exo beaver on the back all winter and it was about the same weight.

I’ve just put the rock razor back on now, so you can all blame me when it rains this weekend.

Northwind

Dyffers – Member

Debating the Minion SS a bit more over lunch. Where does the STW hive mind think this sits in terms of grip & rolling resistance compared with the Ardent 2.4 (29er) I have on the rear at the moment?

Not quite what you’re after but I’ve been comparing the slaughter grid 29 with a 2.25 and 2.4 ardent, on a long travel 29er full suss. TBH I’m not that sold on any of them but the 2.4 ardent’s my least favourite, I thought the volume would be a good addition but it feels slower and not noticably any grippier than the 2.25.

The Slaughter’s much more on/off with grip but it’s better when things get really muddy or loose, even in a straight line- once things are softer the sideknobs get in on the act even when stood up, it finds grip where the ardents don’t basically. But I do find the no grip/grip thing disconcerting and the ardents are more consistent, and better on harder surfaces. So I’m going to say ardent for trailcentre/hard stuff, slaughter doesn’t really come into its own til the ardent starts going off.

Right now I’d go for the slaughter or the 2.25 ardent. I want to try the Minion too, if money allows, but I reckon it’ll be pretty similar.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Just trying to find a good summer tyre combo for my Evil Following. Think i may go DHR2 front and Minion SS rear

How do the ardent race and minion ss compare in grip / braking

chrishc777
    Free Member

Anyone know when the Minion SS will be available in 26″?

jonnym92

I have a Minion SS on the back of the Nomad. It’s good on dry & rocky trails. In the mud you have no choice but to drift, makes you feel cool. But then once the roots come into play it does not want to stick around at all. I was at Revolution Bike Park a few week back and it was scary.

zero-cool
    Free Member

If in doubt go Maxxis.

That’s pretty much my motto

chiefgrooveguru

So I got to try the Minion SS last night. Bloody hell, it rolls fast! In dry conditions it brakes ok in a straight line and drives pretty damn well. Fantastic cornering. The one thing it doesn’t like is braking when you’re leant over just a bit or slightly off-camber, then it goes really sideways fast – made me quicker because it forced me to only brake in the right places (and use more front brake). Pairs up really well with the DHR2 up front because you can really stop hard with that.

I’ll see what it’s like on the steep stuff next week…

olibluegoat
    Free Member

I’d be keen to hear your thoughts on that. Got both a MM and DHR2 on at the moment.

May go either MM front and Rock Razor Rear

or

DHR2 front and either Minion SS or Ardent Race out back

chiefgrooveguru

Have had a couple more rides with the Minion SS on the back and I’m liking it more and more. We had a bit of snow and wet yesterday even but that didn’t phase it and it was fine on the steeper rootier bits, more braking grip than I expected and generally very predictable.

There’s a lot more difference between the tread patterns on the Minion SS, Rock Razor and Slaughter than people seem to realise. The side knobs on the Minion are much wider spaced, which means it’ll drift more easily and won’t be so snappy on the limit and also gives you a bit more braking grip in turns.

Also the Minion is much squarer so you don’t need to get it leant so far before you’re onto the side knobs so it won’t be as vague. The downsides of that are that it won’t suit super wide rims (it’s pretty square on a Flow EX) and it should have less ultimate cornering grip but I’ve not noticed that – it seems to match well with a DHR2 up front.

The centre knobs on the Minion are more tightly packed and more ramped so it should be the fastest rolling of the three. Despite that I was impressed with its climbing grip yesterday. However I wouldn’t want to ride it anywhere steep in much wetter than damp conditions, I’m not that brave! 😉

ybsurf
    Free Member

Looking at minion ss or rock razor but not sure I ride aggressive enough to get the best of them any tried the ardent race 2.35 as a trail rear Tires? Any feedback?

SirHC

Looking at minion ss or rock razor but not sure I ride aggressive enough to get the best of them any tried the ardent race 2.35 as a trail rear Tires? Any feedback?

The ardent race is ok on the back in the dry, there is a fair bit of grip, in the wet it is a bit of a handful! The tread height is half that of a minion and much more closely packed together.

With the minion SS, the side knobs engage pretty quickly compared to the rock razor, so you don;t have to lean the bike over far at all before they stop working.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I run a Minion EXO for normal riding and a RR SuperG for uplifts. Can’t say I notice much difference, the Minion doesn’t have the casing for rough stuff whilst the RR SG is pretty tough but as said above the lifespan is pretty poor

ybsurf
    Free Member

Thanks sir HC for the feedback do the minion will give similar or better traction on steep climbs with roots or loose over hardback? Running regular ardent 2.4 on rear right now like it but trying to get better rolling resistance and drop some weight. Thanks

chiefgrooveguru

Unless you’re in the Southern Hemisphere, I would not be putting on a Minion SS or any other semi-slick now!

SirHC

Thanks sir HC for the feedback do the minion will give similar or better traction on steep climbs with roots or loose over hardback? Running regular ardent 2.4 on rear right now like it but trying to get better rolling resistance and drop some weight. Thanks

If its just the occasional root (like a trail centre), then an SS or Ardent Race will be fine. If its big root gardens, then I’d ben wanting something with a more open tread pattern, ground control/nobby nic/forekaster/xr4.

tandemonium
    Free Member

I’d be putting it on a 30mm internal-width rim, and looking at the pictures of the tread I’m wondering whether that’ll bring the sideknobs into contact with the ground all the time?

I/ve ran both a Spesh Slaughter Grid & Minion SS on a DT EX471 (25mm internal) the Minion side knobs do contact the ground when running with the bike upright – this gives noticeably better traction on loose and muddy surfaces than the Spesh & also when descending on wet grass. Still is very fast rolling though.

Def preferred the Minion SS. HOWEVER the SS only lasted one week on Rivierabike holiday – carcass is just not tough enough. Some of the guides out there ran Scwhalbe RR & they seem tougher carcasses.

Short version – I love the SS, but not when it gets really rocky.

philstone

I’m still running my Minion SS on the rear – decided to run it as long as I can into winter.. For sh1ts and g1ggles…

I’m genuinely shocked by how well its still holding up. I fully expected to have ditched it by now for almost killing me, but no. Don’t underestimate it 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

Unless you’re in the Southern Hemisphere, I would not be putting on a Minion SS or any other semi-slick now!

The Rock Razor actually works quite well in the Dark Peak atm. There’s a lot of rock, not much proper mud and the big side knobs dig in nicely on the sludgy, gritty stuff. I guess it depends where you ride and how much you like generalisations.

I’ve only ever run a 2.2 Ardent Race, but that was a really nice tyre. Pretty much a quicker Ardent as the name suggests. The 2.35 sounds nice.

And now I’m going to go back to dreaming about more robust 2.5 plus-sized tyres that don’t hole at the first hint of a rock 😐

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Minion SS vs Rock Razor’ is closed to new replies.