Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 202 total)
  • Mini review – Transition Smuggler
  • GavinB

Just a few thoughts on a bike I’ve been riding for the last 3 weeks, so early days, but some thoughts nonetheless.

I got this as a frame and forks from Cycle Highlands in Ballater. Richard and Will were great at letting me try out various things, test ride and then talk through various build ideas. The bike was going to be a switch from 26 to 29 FS for me, having ridden a 29 HT for the last year or so, so I had a good idea of build.

Build currently is:

Smuggler XL
    RS Pike 140 RCT3
    Stans Arch EX/Pro2 Evo with Schwalbe HD front/ Maxxis Ardent rear
    Reverb Stealth with Fizik Thar saddle
    XT brake levers, SLX callipers, XT running running gear (30×11-36)
    Renthal 40mm Stem and 780mm bars, ESI grips (in the picture I’m testing out some older bars and grips, but opted for the shorter, lower bars and grips)

[IMG]http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg594/Headangle/IMG_2631_zpszmbwzoox.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

So, after riding this for a few weeks now, I’m amazed at how good this bike is. Initially I was wondering if the slack angles would make a difference when climbing, but actually it’s faster than before, by around 10%. That’s quite a margin considering I’m comparing it to my Kinesis FF29, so not exactly a slouch uphill.

Downhill, it’s a beast! I’ve smashed previous PRs by around 15-20%, on descents I’ve ridden 5-10 times before, so quite a step-up. Travel-wise, I’m comparing this most to my most recent FS, a Nukeproof Mega (150mm travel), and an Ironhorse 6Point before that, so on paper the Smuggler should struggle with only 115mm at the back (and 140 at the front). I’ve had the the Mega for over 3 years, and ridden it all over the UK. Basically, this is a better suited bike to my style of riding and body shape.

The biggest learning experience in the last few weeks has been that geometry and an efficient suspension system, is miles better than longer inefficient travel, regardless of wheel size. I don’t have to worry about locking anything out, or dropping travel anywhere, it just climbs and descends beautifully. Climbing in lowest gear or smashing it, out of the saddle doesn’t seem to make a difference to the suspension system, it just cruises along.

So, who do I think this bike is for? Enduro-monsters? XC-snakes? Non-racers?

Well, me really, just an average rider, who wants a fast, capable bike, with no suspension drawbacks, light weight and really good design. I’m loving the internal routing, the looks of the bike, the little details on the frame and being able to descend at about the same speed if not faster than previous bikes with considerably more poise and agility than I’m used to. The shock must has pixie dust about it, as it seems to defy the little amount of suspension it has to play with, especially when setting it up with the recommended 33% sag. Even on the roughest tracks in the country (Fort William WC DH), it never felt out of its depth or slow – I was always the limiting factor, and a better rider would have been able to make far faster progress. The frame is really stiff and responsive, and is able to steer and accelerate without a fuss.

Do I notice any drawbacks?

It’s not the lightest frame ever, and given the kit i’ve stuck on it, I’m not building it as a lightweight, but it may not make the shortlist of some (in weight-weenie terms i.e. someone looking for a sub-30lb bike.) Edit: I have no idea what it weighs, but am assuming about 32lbs.

Other than that it is a very nicely composed frame, well built and finished and looking to stay as my #1 bike for a long time. I’m left thinking this current breed of Transition frames may well be destined for greatness, as they hold that rare combination of good looks, efficient design and playfulness that I find infectious.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Its a beautiful looking bike. When I was deciding between the scout and patrol I did have thoughts about this and running 27.5+.

Transition have created a fantastic range of bikes that as you say are “destined for greatness”.

My scout had no problems handling the terrain on the last few pmba enduros, can’t say the same about its rider 🙂

bigjim

My XL came in at 31.5 lbs if I recall correctly. Think someone on mtbr weighed the XL frame in at 7lb 12ozs so it isn’t light, but then it is very big! Transition dropping lots of hints about carbon option in the future in a recent Pinkbike Q&A 🙂

variflex
    Free Member

Mine has been fantastic over the last few months since building it up. Not sure of the weight but it doesnt seem to slow me down. Next years colour will be fantastic, shame I didnt wait a year. No carbon for smuggler from what I hear.There is going to be carbon in the range but think more enduro.

Personally I dont think carbon versions of the current range will be worth the additional cost for the average UK rider (unless doing full on enduro or competing). But Im sure there will be some wanting to go carbon, just like the previous covert buyers.

All up though the smuggler is VERY good. At least on a par with the Spec Camber EVO.

matt_outandabout

Nice colour…

GavinB

I just couldn’t justify the eye-watering price of a carbon frame such as a Tallboy LT or The Following, attractive as those frames are. Bigjim – I’m thinking mine is probably around that sort of weight too – not too surprising, as its a big frame (in XL)

Just waiting on some LB carbon rims to arrive then building them up, as I’m currently borrowing the wheels off my FF29. The Arch EX/Pro2 are fine, but its a PITA having to change out the axle adapters when swapping between bikes.

The pedalling position feels quite strange at first, especially with such a slack headangle and sitting low as it does. The crazy thing is I’m beating my old PBs up climbs I was doing on my FF29, which I think is a pretty rapid bike. I am having to force the gears a little though, as running 1×10 with 30-36 as my lowest gear is in effect a longer gear than I was running on the Mega. Can’t wait for 11speed XT to arrive!

BigDummy
    Free Member

This looks great – thanks for the review.

Waiting on a 2016 Scout here. 🙂

honourablegeorge

They do make a good lookign frame, Transition. The simplicity – one colour, one logo – does help a lot

GavinB

Slightly better pic here – prize if you can spot the car park 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Good looking bike.

I’ve just been riding a mid-travel 29er round the NW Highlands and loving it.

Did bring my freemince bike out for Fort Bill though!

TheGingerOne

Thanks for the review so far – I’m looking at an additional bike to sit alongside my Yeti ArcC and this is ticking a lot of boxes for me. You’ve really helped me place it at the top of the current list as I want a 29er that is fun to ride, but I don’t want masses of travel. Only issue for me is on the weight as I do love a nice light bike!

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

The exact frame I’m considering!

OP: Where are you based?

I would love to sling a leg over an XL one….

(Currently riding an XL 2Souls Quarterhorse that I’m going to put up FS soon)

I’m in Monifieth, Angus BTW.

Long shot, but I’m in Dalbeattie from tomorrow until Sunday riding the trails around the area.

TomB

Adp79, why are you selling the quarter horse? Just fancy a change or is it not what you’d hoped? Had my eye on one for a bit, and also quite taken with this smuggler. Nice to see some good looking XL bikes!

roverpig

Interesting review. Thanks.

Have they announced new colours then?

I’m amazed that the smuggler climbs faster than the FF29. I had an FF29 for a while. Too twitchy on the downs for a mincer like me, but boy did it climb well. Even allowing for a bit of new bike enthusiasm it’s impressive that you are matching your times on FF29 going up. I guess they dis a good job with that suspension.

GavinB

Alan – based in Aberdeenshire, so not too far away from you I guess. Welcome to sling a leg over sometime. Drop me a mail.

I’ve heard that the 2016 colour is going to be orange, the same as the Patrol, I think.

I was expecting it to be about the same as the Mega going down, but marginally slower climbing than the FF29. Comparing previous PBs though, on sustained climbs around here (Bennachie/Maidens Causeway and Gordon Way), I’m going from 18-20 mins, to doing the climbs in around 15 mins. Descents-wise: previous PB (riding the Mega) on Rocky Horror Show off Mither Tap was 4:30, which dropped to 4:05, then 3:50 on this thing.

NB. I hope that doesn’t come across as willy-waving, more to give you an idea of the increase in speed I’m seeing.

bigjim

I seem to be going up hills fast on my Smuggler but pretty sure it’s because I’ve had to mtfu to get up some of them on 1×10. I’m used to a lighter bike, am now used to the weight of this one but would still welcome a lighter carbon version for sure. Tallboy LTc geo isn’t comparable and the Following for me just isn’t an option living in Scotland and I think it’s just a bit ugly.

New colours are rumoured on mtbr, from memory orange and black, but could be totally wrong!

It’s a very good looking bike for an XL 29er, no farm gate effect.

charliemort

Looks like a Pyga, and very similar intent / geometry I reckon

GavinB

Jim – have you found any issues with it overall though? I’ve only ridden it for the last few weeks, so very much getting used to it.

One thing I did think could have been better is the area directly behind the lower shock mount, which acts as a collecting bowl for mud. That could maybe be improved upon.

I was also thinking about a Kona Process 111, but the aesthetics of this won me over.

roverpig

Are there any rubber grommets where the cable goes into the top tube? I’m wondering hgow it will cope with months of rain and bein hosed down. Will it fill with water?

Orange though? They know my weak point 🙂

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Thanks for the nice write up. Also considering one of these but had pretty much written it off as it only has 115mm of rear travel, especially as it needs 33% sag. Was ideally looking for around 130mm so currently looking at the Trek Remedy or the Spesh Stumpjumper.

Do you do much jumping on it? i’d like it to handle 3-4 feet drops but i’m not sure the 77mm of travel (after the sag point) would handle this well.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Looks like a Pyga, and very similar intent / geometry I reckon

On paper quite different.
    Much slacker (67.5 v 69)
    Much longer reach (457 v 442 on a large)
    Much shorter CS (435 v 443)

Basically MOAR ENDURO.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Looks a good bike, trying to find reasons not to buy one (even though the main reason is I have no money).

Wonder if pedals in edinburgh still have that medium demo one available

GavinB

Paul – comparing to my Mega (150mm travel – 26″ bike), this feels about the same, if not slightly more travel. Not done any big jumps on it yet (too much of a mincer), but hitting the final jump at speed on Stage 4 at Glenlivet felt quite big, then riding the WC track at Fort Bill on Sunday, riding down the wall, then the final jumps to the finish are around 3 ft maybe with fairly flat landings. It felt really nice on those – didn’t blow through the travel, just nicely controlled with the o-ring resting about 1-2mm from the end of the shock.

As for the short CS, I had assumed I’d need a new chain, switching over from a Large Mega to this, but it’s fine.

charliemort

Pyga head angle would be pretty similar with a 140mm fork on it – think 69 degree is with 120 mm

GavinB

Probably right. The full bike comes with a 130 Pike, so I guess I’ve slackened it slightly, as well as raised the BB (by a mm or two). I thought I’d try it at 140, see how it rolls before dropping it down any.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Thanks Gavin. In fairness, I probably need a test ride. I’m coming from a 26in Commencal Meta SL with 120mm at the rear and 150 up front. I want a little more travel but not much really.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If & when they make a carbon version of this, I may struggle not to buy one.

bigjim

Will it fill with water

No, there is a cable exit point right at the bottom of the downtube

Jim – have you found any issues with it overall though?

The only problem I’ve had since April is whilst there is loads of lateral tyre clearance, some very tall tyres like my WTB Vigilante rub the seatstay bridge, it’s a known issue and one they are going to address in the future. Most tyres are OK though.

One thing I did think could have been better is the area directly behind the lower shock mount, which acts as a collecting bowl for mud. That could maybe be improved upon.

it’s fine, coming from a Yeti the mud clearance is fantastic to me anyway.

Wonder if pedals in edinburgh still have that medium demo one available

Not sure, pretty sure they had at least one frame in the shop last week though.

Mine in its natural habitat:

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Pyga head angle would be pretty similar with a 140mm fork on it – think 69 degree is with 120 mm

Then you’d raise the BB even more, and the Smuggler is already lower than the Pyga. Pyga is 69 with a 130mm too.

So basically the Smuggler is slacker, longer and lower. So only similar in travel length and wheelsize.

Not knocking the Pyga I hear good things, but they seem quite different bikes when you look at the angles on each.

NormalMan

@Gavinb
    I’d missed this thread until your comment in the Following thread.

Very nice bike and good owners perspective review/viewpoint.

GavinB

Cheers Jim – that sounds great. I’m running a 2.25 Ardent on the back at the moment, and likely to stick with that or a 2.3 Schwalbe HD, but good to know.

Roverpig – I’ve just checked, and apart from the exit for the cables, there is also a BB drain hole.

roverpig

Thanks. So it fills up, but it drains out again 🙂

Seriously, I can’t really see a problem there. My Five has a hole on the inside of the swingarm and water comes out when I hang it back up after a wet ride or a wash. Never been a problem though.

A proper threaded BB shell too. Well done Transition.

GavinB

Yup, the threaded BB was another reason why I really liked the look of this. Keeps the options wide open for cranks and nice and easy to replace/service.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

GavinB:

Thanks, I will be in touch.

Do you ever ride Pitfichie? – Could maybe meet there sometime?

TomB:

I’m having back trouble & really don’t want to shelf MTB all together, so I want to try another full sus.

rhayter

Bloody awesome bike. Nice choice. I reckon they could take 1lb out of that frame and it would still feel bomb-proof, though.

GavinB

Alan – yes, it’s just nearby, so ride there every few weeks. Drop me a line when you think you’ll be in the area.

pigyn
    Free Member

Bigjim!

Post that Lomond picture on our FB so we can share it, it’s ace!

We have one more Smuggler frame available for this year, medium Teal. As above, they are great bikes. I am PB’ing left right and centre 😉

We don’t run a Smuggler demo at the moment but are for next year. In store Smuggler, Patrol AND Scout demo bikes for 2016.

If are after our last Smuggler get in touch. Lots of pictures on our facebook:

Pedals Bike Care Facebook

roverpig

So when will the 2016 frames start shipping the 🙂

pigyn
    Free Member

We don’t know. Given they have mostly sold out world over they will be keen to get them back out ASAP, so I would take a guess at some point between September and November with all the production time + shipping.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

We have one more Smuggler frame available for this year, medium Teal.

The large sold?
    My conscious is clear.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 202 total)

The topic ‘Mini review – Transition Smuggler’ is closed to new replies.