Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Michael Meacher on the Rich List….
  • crikey
    Free Member

http://www.michaelmeacher.info/weblog/2012/04/britains-1000-richest-persons-made-gains-of-155bn-in-last-3-years/

One is that the 1,000 richest persons in the UK have increased their wealth by so much in the last 3 years – £155bn – that they themselves alone could pay off the entire UK budget deficit and still leave themselves with £30bn to spare which should be enough to keep the wolf from the door.”

All in it together my arse.

HughStew

I read the title as Michael Meacher being one of the 1,000 richest people in the country, which would have been a surprise.

donsimon
    Free Member

Rather than complaining about how much these people have got and then expecting a handout, wouldn’t it be better to be proactive and compete against them and try to take some? Just a thought like…

I read the title as Michael Meacher being one of the 1,000 richest people in the country,

Isn’t the English language great? 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I like Michael Meacher, he’s good ol’ boy – there’s not many of those in the Labour Party these days.
    I always enjoy his letters in the Guardian, which btw he wrote one based on that article recently.

jonba
    Free Member

Have they all gone up or have some gone up and some gone down?

I’m sure if we all had a whip round we could pay off the deficit, you go first and maybe others will follow.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m sure if we all had a whip round we could pay off the deficit, you go first and maybe others will follow.

Don’t rush to the head of the queue, if you are the average PAYE type the government will arrange it for you.

Stoner
    Free Member

Much as his rhetoric is amusing, there’s lots wrong with his piece. Conflating deficit with debt for one, but also falling into the “millionaires pay higher rate tax and now save 14k a year less tax” trap.

I don’t doubt the thrust of his argument but if you want to land punches at least aim straight

Junkyard
    Free Member

Rather than complaining about how much these people have got and then expecting a handout, wouldn’t it be better to be proactive and compete against them and try to take some? Just a thought like..

i am not sure if you are suggesting revolution or suggesting that somehow we can all get on the rich list if we just try a bit harder.

How do i work hard enough to become Queen or the Duke of westminster?
    Interesting to se ehow many are self made on that list and how many were borne into it – not seen the list

That measure alone [50 p to 45 reduction] gave 40,000 UK millionaires an extra average £14,000 a week, at the same time as those on very low incomes in receipt of working tax credits who couldn’t find an employer to increase their hours of work from 16 to 24 a week were being deprived in the same budget of £77 a week, around a third of their income, through their tax credits being withdrawn

Gawd bless george and all he is doing to help us all out.

qwerty
    Free Member

Was not Michael Meacher a character from Rent A Ghost?

Stoner
    Free Member

^ same mistake junky, millionaires is not the same has high rate income tax payers and high rate income tax payers is not the same as millionaires. It is very sloppy to conflated the two as they can be vey different economic and social animals.

crikey
    Free Member
    redthunder
    Free Member

Yeah! but is he happy ? Bet your ass he is 🙂

scaredypants

millionaires is not the same has high rate income tax payers

I reckon you’re probably right there stoner 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

I wasn’t going to even touch on Laffer curves 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

sorry I forgot how they could avoid tax on all that wealth 😉
    I assumed he was basing his figures on actual statistics/evidence of income paid rather than making that error ….well that i smy story and I am sticking to it.

Oh do touch on laffer curves i love a good old debate of a theoretical model not matching reality but being overlooked for political purposes as the right wing sorry i believe we have to call you economists and elevate your area of study to a science as well in this context.

I will e-mail TJ CRACK ON

bwaarp
    Free Member

Rather than complaining about how much these people have got and then expecting a handout, wouldn’t it be better to be proactive and compete against them and try to take some? Just a thought like…

Here my friends, is an example of an aspirational voter. Such people vote against wealth redistribution that would help them greatly…. because they naively think at the back of their heads that one day they might actually get rich enough to build a private army big enough to over through several african nations.

Money makes money. Wealth is power, if you have to much wealth concentrated in one area you have to much power concentrated in one area. You create a monopoly on that wealth and power with no checks and balances. Have fun competing against Bill Gates!

donsimon
    Free Member

Money makes money.

And, of course, Richard Branson, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Lord Sugar, Wayne Rooney, Vidal Sassoon, Jamie Oliver, Chris Evans, Bernie Ecclestone, etc, would of course agree with you on that.

Have fun competing against Bill Gates!

Thanks for that, best not even try then.

Here my friends, is an example of an aspirational voter. Such people vote against wealth redistribution that would help them greatly…. because they naively think at the back of their heads that one day they might actually get rich enough to build a private army big enough to over through several african nations.

Not exactly what I said, not even near, but don’t worry about that.
    Here my friends, is an example of “if it’s not black, it must be white”.
    Back to the books old chap… 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Right wingers always have a curve or a book or an opinion theory or an Economist graph or a Spectator article or an FT essay to justify the want to do ****-all about the inequalities that exist because of unequal distribution of wealth.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Back to the books old chap…

I hope I didn’t cause any offence Don. I apologise for my rudeness.

I can be a bit firey! Yup, off to do revision.

donsimon
    Free Member

I apologise for my rudeness.

Nope, smiley is a bit of a give away. It’s just a bit of advice to help you on your way to the first million… 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Michael Meacher on the Rich List….’ is closed to new replies.