Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • "medical" question – dry, sore skin on hands….
  • velocipede
    Free Member

….particularly bad after rides. Been out tonight and it’s really bad again, after improving for the past few days.

Been rubbing Savlon into them for days but no real help….only flared up about two weeks ago and never had it before

…anyone had same problem – any tips??

Suggsey
    Free Member

Contact dermatitis caused by exposure to chain lube? Sets mine off a treat or could even be a reaction to your gloves/wash powder/liquid.
    Mine is also set off by using strong bike detergents/fairy liquid etc etc.
    Strawberries full of magnesium and zinc will help as will not exposing your hands to any detergents/lubes so always wear gloves when cleaning and prepping your bike as even GT85 that you may have sprayed on frame when you unload the bike it will get on your hands.
    Urea based hand creams (sold in Boots, the Australian imported stuff, expensive but works) will heal them up fast too.
    Unfortunately one other thing sets mine off, and thats mud 🙄 😀 for that I use the same treatment and a dose of MTFU.

Wally

hydrocortisone<betnovate<metosyn<dermovate.
    Start to the left and work up, only hydrocortisone is not POM.
    Aveeno cream is also very good and bulk buy Nitrile gloves.

danjthomas
    Free Member

I’ve had a lifetime of eczema, sucks when your hobby makes it worse. I find that you need to wash your gloves frequently and also not get oily hands when working on your bike. Wear gloves.

Also when you wash them ensure they are dried fully afterwards. Just keep using some creams like e45. Or of you really want it gone use eumovate from over the counter. It’s the strongest steroid cream out and will clear it in days. Just tell the pharmacist it’s for a friend as they will ask you what it’s for. I been refused it.

It’s perfectly safe but will thin your finger tips if you use it for weeks on end.
    I

danjthomas
    Free Member

Eumovate is a commercial dermovate. It’s the same stuff by the way.

scaredypants

As well as detergents as said up there ^, my hands don’t like rubber

Other than having to change my girlfriend for a pvc one, I now wear full gloves all year round on the bike

Savlon is no better and probably worse than simple moisturiser like aqueous, E45, diprobase etc, and you may just be sensitive to the antiseptic in there too

Eumovate’s a bit of a step-up from savlon!(not quite the same as dermovate unless the stuff you can buy is different to the prescription stuff, but similar and even a little bit “stronger”) – try some hydrocortisone before you use dat shit IMO

Markie
    Free Member

Dermol 500 lotion has worked wonders on my hands – not that I have dermatitis (I think!), just dry skin.

splashdown
    Free Member

Suggsey +1

As above… 🙁

It’s a real **** of a balancing act between trying to keep your hands clean and preventing the skin from drying out.

The only thing I can add is keep a pair of nitrile (blue) surgical gloves (without any powder) with your spare inner tube/ multi-tool when riding in case of a mechanical/puncture/”special” sheep moment…

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Try Omega 3 capsules.

Northwind

Worms.

Also, go and see a doctor, it might be something else entirely. I had a flakey itchy skin condition on my leg, treated it with all the usual stuff, eventually it turned out to be fungal.

scaredypants

“special” sheep moment

How did you know my girlfriend was a sheep ??

trail_rat
    Free Member

I this on my knuckles from time to time

Nivea hand cream fixes it up well.

kayak23

I have this on just my left hand.
    I use Eumovate now and again and it does seem to work well to bring a flare under control. I then wear a single rubber glove when washing up, much like Michael Jackson used to when he washed up. It seems to help.

dantsw13

I suffer from excezma, dry skin leads to flare ups, so always moisturise after washing your hands. Go to the doc for some cream as you will get a stronger one. Trial and error will find a cream that works for you. Treat at the first sign of a flare up, as once established, it’s way harder to treat.

Washing powder can be bad too. I’ve only used fairy for the last 20 years, as anything else sets it off.

Good luck!

martinhutch

I use an emollient cream – basically a souped up moisturiser. You can also use it in place of soap/handwash when washing your hands. Put it on morning and night, and avoid direct contact with harsh detergents (fairy liquid etc).

Unless you’ve got open and weeping cuts, don’t use Savlon, as this can have a drying effect.

I use some stuff called Diprobase, it’s available over the counter at pharmacists. If it doesn’t start clearing up, you may need some mild steroid cream – hydrocortisone, perhaps betnovate etc, but you’ll need to see the doc for that.

(Also avoid Aqueous cream – cheap, but full of harmful crap).

bazookajoe
    Free Member

I get dry hands that end up in big cracks and hacks. Norwegian hand formula stuff is working best for me at the moment, it’s finding the cream that works for your skin. And gloves for working on bikes and gloves for washing up the dishes that’s the one that does my skin no end of grief if I don’t glove up for doing the dishes.

Skin hydration and skincare, because you’re worth it.

DezB
    Free Member

I only get a problem in winter, but found this stuff to be the best after it was recommended by a professional fisherman –

http://www.thebodyshop.com/bath-body/hands-feet/hemp-hand-protector.aspx

It even cleared up my son’s eczema.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Suffer this every time I wash up 🙁 best thing I have just discovered is hemp hand butter from the body shop. Cured overnight!

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I use that BodyShop Hemp stuff above – I get the odd bout of cracked, bleeding skin on my hands and this stuff sorts it out quick smart.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘"medical" question – dry, sore skin on hands….’ is closed to new replies.